• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4481 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 January 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

More like all the Goldman Sachs executives will steal tons and tons of money, all arts funding will be cut (providing 0.02% of the targeted 10 trillion budget cuts), all school meal programs for poor kids will be cut (30 million kids affected by this), tens of millions lose their medical insurance coverage, our infrastructure falls apart, our nuclear weapons become as unsecure as those of the former USSR, and even worse things happen.

Gonna mourn the NEA and Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Mourning all the suffering and dead to come might be too much to handle. Can't believe there's still talk of "hope" here. Really baffling. I don't mean that as a provocation, just as an honest reaction. It is literally detached from reality. All hope is in resistance. Not surprised the police are already cracking heads. I'm worried for my friends who will be attending the Women's March tomorrow; I have no doubt DJT wanted to plan something nasty for them, but if he's taking the weekend off, as he said, maybe it'll go alright.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4482 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

I have a feeling live newscasts of Trump are, from now on, going to have a minimum of 3 Standards & Practices violations from the audience.

Anyway, maybe I was too hasty above on my thoughts regarding expressions of 'hope': http://motherboard.v...e-house-website

#4483 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:08 AM

It has begun
Screw the American people

https://www.reddit.c...PAR&sh=5d820a59

Start off by screwing the middle class out of the door

https://www.reddit.c...OIC&sh=8afc5ccd

Screw them again

https://www.reddit.c...FT0&sh=c0904d8c
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4484 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:35 AM

Ok, so the land transfer and the FCC thing I can at least get my head around, from a pro-state's rights/business agenda perspective. I don't see how it helps the 'forgotten man' one iota, but anyway. What is the ostensible upside for reversing the FHA rate cut though? Most of the Reddit comments are (surprise!) unhelpful, calling Trump a crook and a shill for the banks. The cynic in me suggests it's a provision crafted just to help banks make more profit off FHA loans, but I'm trying to see the other side here. The article talks a lot about protecting the solvency of the fund, but why in God's name make that a Day 1 priority? I don't imagine it's a huge line item that needs immediate attention.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4485 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

It's a real mystery, especially because: Julian Castro, Obama’s HUD secretary, said when the fee cut was announced that the FHA’s reserve fund had grown by $44 billion in the last four years and that it was time to share these gains with borrowers.
http://www.huffingto...04peymcm84r6bt9

Does that seem like a solvency crisis?

#4486 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 21 January 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

It's a real mystery, especially because: Julian Castro, Obama’s HUD secretary, said when the fee cut was announced that the FHA’s reserve fund had grown by $44 billion in the last four years and that it was time to share these gains with borrowers.

Not at all. If you're thinking economically, presumably you would also want to be lowering the threshold for home-ownership as much as is responsible, thereby creating more stimulus for home construction, leading to, you know, jobs? Not only that, for existing homeowners who save money, they can then distribute that into the local economy.

This post has been edited by MTS: 21 January 2017 - 03:07 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4487 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostMTS, on 21 January 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

Not at all. If you're thinking economically, presumably you would also want to be lowering the threshold for home-ownership as much as is responsible, thereby creating more stimulus for home construction, leading to, you know, jobs? Not only that, for existing homeowners who save money, they can then distribute that into the local economy.

The keyword there is "responsible". Remember the last time America had a low barrier to entry in the housing market? They caused the fucking GFC. The way it is now is about as low as the barrier can get without returning to those times.

Then again, because going back to the whole sub-prime mortgage situation is exactly what Trump and Co want... Yeah, makes sense. Which leads us back to your original gut instinct of - this is just designed to make more money for the banks/wall St. And possibly fuck over the economy again, for everyone not already super rich.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4488 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

Also that FCC appointment is the death of a free Internet. Next we'll be having the Verizon and Comcast merger, the AT&T and Time Warner merger going through, and American net will be owned by a virtual monopoly.
Meanwhile any semblance of consumer protection from price hikes, and probably all the progress made on net neutrality and paying for data as well as speed will go out the window.

Yay.

It's day fucking one. And already most of the progress Obama made over the past 8 years is being wiped out. I guess for people like Nico that seems like a good thing, but for anyone who actually knows how much better off the country was under Obama its a fucking disaster, with zero potential for gains (seriously, the debt will get worse under Trump, guaranteed, after Obama was one of one two presidents in the last 40 years to reduce the deficit).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4489 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:02 AM

You have to admit Trump & Co are being very efficient in dismantling every part of the US government that is working for ordinary people and reducing profits as a result.

I watched the Warren/Franken sections of the Betsy hearing today. I'm feeling very sorry for Americans. You are experiencing what having Ahmadinejad for president is like.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4490 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

View PostSilencer, on 21 January 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

Also that FCC appointment is the death of a free Internet. Next we'll be having the Verizon and Comcast merger, the AT&T and Time Warner merger going through, and American net will be owned by a virtual monopoly.
Meanwhile any semblance of consumer protection from price hikes, and probably all the progress made on net neutrality and paying for data as well as speed will go out the window.

Yay.

It's day fucking one. And already most of the progress Obama made over the past 8 years is being wiped out. I guess for people like Nico that seems like a good thing, but for anyone who actually knows how much better off the country was under Obama its a fucking disaster, with zero potential for gains (seriously, the debt will get worse under Trump, guaranteed, after Obama was one of one two presidents in the last 40 years to reduce the deficit).

The net neutrality thing is important, but honestly, the problem can be solved for people with knowhow by a simple VPN from a net neutral country (and paying for high speed access to that VPN). The mergers though, they are going to be painful for everyone.

Although there is this thing in the back of my mind that says "Hey, ISP mergers will be good for America, what better way to stop grandma and grandpa believing fake news than to make internet too expensive for them ..."

Then I remember there are millions of people that need accessible internet to live their lives who are going to get fucked.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#4491 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:20 AM

I understand that the huge conglomerates hope to benefit, but how are chambers of commerce across the country gonna be okay with this? Internet access is ingrained into so many areas of business, not to mention access to government agencies top to bottom.

#4492 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:30 AM

View PostSilencer, on 21 January 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

View PostMTS, on 21 January 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

The keyword there is "responsible". Remember the last time America had a low barrier to entry in the housing market? They caused the fucking GFC. The way it is now is about as low as the barrier can get without returning to those times.

Then again, because going back to the whole sub-prime mortgage situation is exactly what Trump and Co want... Yeah, makes sense. Which leads us back to your original gut instinct of - this is just designed to make more money for the banks/wall St. And possibly fuck over the economy again, for everyone not already super rich.

Uhhh...it was the Obama admin that decided to reduce the fees as the reserve fund was over-capitalised, thus reducing the barrier. It had the added effect of meaning banks would get less cash for FHA loans in the future. Trump and the team are merely keeping the status quo. Meanwhile FHA loan recipients aren't protected from likely interest rate rises in the future.

#4493 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:49 AM

Oh, I know. The fund reducing its fees wasn't a bad thing as it helps protect people from the effects of being over-leveraged on property. Trump bringing it back is doing the opposite for the inevitable return to the pre-2008 method of operation for Wall St (properly, at least, they didn't really suffer any consequences after the GFC).

The point being, Trump is reducing access to a safeguard. To fuck people over. On the pretext that the fund was somehow in danger without the fees. >.>

Shinrei said:

#4494 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 21 January 2017 - 04:20 AM, said:

I understand that the huge conglomerates hope to benefit, but how are chambers of commerce across the country gonna be okay with this? Internet access is ingrained into so many areas of business, not to mention access to government agencies top to bottom.

Pish posh, they'll just siphon off the cost to the actual consumers, no problem.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4495 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

So many protestors out today. Kind of shocked.

We'll power through.

(Also, sorry BK.)
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4496 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

My friend from Tennessee went to the London one and bumped into Peter Capaldi!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4497 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

The international protests are surprising. Nato comments have to hurt him.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4498 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Nato comments have to hurt him.

In what way? His core support won't care what NATO members say, surely? It's the same mentality as we have here about letting in refugees. Why should we pay for other people when we can only afford to put food on the table, heat our homes, keep clothes on our backs, send our kids to school and receive free healthcare?

Unless ego plays a big part and his support enjoy feeling like the US keeps the world from falling apart (which in the case of Russia it does but the nuance may be lost).
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#4499 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 January 2017 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 21 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Nato comments have to hurt him.

In what way? His core support won't care what NATO members say, surely? It's the same mentality as we have here about letting in refugees. Why should we pay for other people when we can only afford to put food on the table, heat our homes, keep clothes on our backs, send our kids to school and receive free healthcare?

Unless ego plays a big part and his support enjoy feeling like the US keeps the world from falling apart (which in the case of Russia it does but the nuance may be lost).

Sorry, that was assumption. What reason for other nation's protests? Serious question.

#4500 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

The images today are beautiful and heartening.

http://www.motherjon...trump-updates-2

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

104 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 104 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook