• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#81 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

That doesn't mean that the current process isn't exacerbated by our media culture, and it also doesn't mean that the current hyper-gridlock is the norm. It often seems to me that this type of comparison is used to marginalize certain opinions, in this case the opinions that 1) this year's election reaches new lows of both representation and deportment, at least in the average living memory, and 2) the ability of our government to function properly is rapidly disintegrating, as compared to pretty much any period in our nation's history. I could be wrong, though.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#82 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

I figured out what's wrong with these people. They're stupid.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#83 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

View Postworrywort, on 05 March 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

I figured out what's wrong with these people. They're stupid.

lol. I'm starting to wonder if they do this on purpose. It's ridiculous. I think this is the first time I've seen her talk. She talks just like her husband. Imagine, losing it all, and having to sell one of your houses just to get by.

There it is.

#84 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

http://www.guardian....kat-keene-hogue

Here's a series of short videos (divided by state) where primary voters are asked who they are voting for and why (there's one unrelated Dream Act video mixed in cuz it's by the same person). It's not any kind of satire or ambush or anything, just straightforward opinions from Republican voters this cycle. Definitely worth a watch.

#85 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

View Postworrywort, on 06 March 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Here's a series of short videos (divided by state) where primary voters are asked who they are voting for and why (there's one unrelated Dream Act video mixed in cuz it's by the same person). It's not any kind of satire or ambush or anything, just straightforward opinions from Republican voters this cycle. Definitely worth a watch.

I watched the Oklahoma and Minnesota video because Oklahoma is as red as they come and Minnesota is a nicely, moderate purple state. The people in them pretty much reflect that nicely.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#86 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostH.D., on 06 March 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 06 March 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

I watched the Oklahoma and Minnesota video because Oklahoma is as red as they come and Minnesota is a nicely, moderate purple state. The people in them pretty much reflect that nicely.

MN is very blue any where there is civilization (read: cities) and red in the outlying areas. Just like most places.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#87 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

http://www.politico....0312/73715.html

#88 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...-192027518.html

More than half of Mississippi GOP voters say Obama is a Muslim, new poll suggests
More than half of likely Republican voters in Mississippi say they think President Barack Obama is a Muslim, according to a survey conducted by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic polling firm.

Fifty-two percent said that Obama practiced Islam, while just 12 percent said he was a Christian. Thirty-six percent said they were not sure.

Obama, whose father and stepfather both came from Muslim backgrounds, is a practicing Christian and was a member of Trinity United Church in Chicago before he was president.

The poll, conducted by telephone of 656 likely Republican voters in Mississippi on March 10 and 11, has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.

In Alabama, the same poll found that 45 percent of likely Republican voters believed Obama to be a Muslim and 14 percent said they considered him a Christian.

The group conducted the polling in advance of the Republican presidential primaries in Alabama and Mississippi, which will be held on Tuesday

#89 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for reminding me I have to vote tomorrow. I'm voting for Ron Paul, just for fun, since I'm still registered as a Republican (though I haven't actually voted Republican in a long time).

There it is.

#90 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

That margin of error doesn't account for stupidity in the sample selection, it seems.

#91 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Well, I don't mean to pile on the South, or even Republican non-politicians, but I also don't believe we should pretend any of this stuff is the fringe or mere outliers within the party like some would suggest. It's a statistically significant, real, substantial chunk of Republican voters.

#92 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostTerez, on 12 March 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

Thanks for reminding me I have to vote tomorrow. I'm voting for Ron Paul, just for fun, since I'm still registered as a Republican (though I haven't actually voted Republican in a long time).

Ron Paul wants to define life as starting at conception, build a fence along the US-Mexico border, prevent the Supreme Court from hearing cases on the Establishment Clause or the right to privacy, permitting the return of sodomy laws and the like (a bill which he has repeatedly re-introduced), pull out of the UN, disband NATO, end birthright citizenship, deny federal funding to any organisation which "which presents male or female homosexuality as an acceptable alternative life style or which suggest that it can be an acceptable life style" along with destroying public education and social security,, and abolish the Federal Reserve in order to put America back on the gold standard. He was also the sole vote against divesting US federal government investments in corporations doing business with the genocidal government of the Sudan.

Oh, and he believes that the Left is waging a war on religion and Christmas, he's against gay marriage, is against the popular vote, opposes the Civil Rights Act of 1964, wants the estate tax repealed, is STILL making racist remarks, believes that the Panama Canal should be the property of the United States, and believes in New World Order conspiracy theories, not to mention his belief that the International Baccalaureate program is UN mind control.

Please do not vote for him.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#93 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

lol. I know all that. 1) He's not going to win, so don't worry about it. I'm just voting for him to help shake the tree in MS a bit. 2) The others are worse.

There it is.

#94 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

It's more a legitimacy thing than anything else. And while all four are terrible, is he really less bad than Romney?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#95 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Don't worry guys. Obama's got this. He's the adult in the room here.

This post has been edited by Dolorous Menhir: 12 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

#96 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 12 March 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

It's more a legitimacy thing than anything else. And while all four are terrible, is he really less bad than Romney?

He beats Romney for no other reason than his somewhat-sane approach to warmongering and victimless crimes.

View PostDolorous Menhir, on 12 March 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Don't worry guys. Obama's got this. He's the adult in the room here.

Precisely.

This post has been edited by Terez: 12 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

There it is.

#97 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

I wouldn't be so confident in Obama's re-election, not because the Rs are strong or because Obama hasn't done a pretty decent job all in all, but because liberal Democrats are a self-defeating whiny fractured fickle mess of a "big tent". I wouldn't say there are just as many single issue voters on the left, but there's enough to get frustrated with and scared by. And it's perhaps way more true of young Dem voters, which is a problem.

On the other hand, since debates seem to really be having an effect this year, and not a one of these guys can come close to Obama on that front -- especially Romney, who has been attacking a wholly imaginary version of Obama during the primaries and so has even less preparation for the real dude than the others -- I do feel hopeful on that account. The tension between McCain and Romney was fairly palpable, but McCain never said anything nearly as crazy, mean-spirited, or outright lies as Romney has, so I'm interested to see him on stage, smiling and shaking hands with the President. There's no way this crazy stuff can't come back to bite Romney, especially since it's not even really politics, it's outright lying and caricature on such a grand scale, that them just being in the same room together may puncture that balloon.

In other words, I don't have a doubt in the world that Pres. Obama could wipe the floor with any of them in both substance and style, but I never trust Dem voters not to shoot themselves in the foot.

#98 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

Eh, I'm pretty confident that Obama will win, but not overconfident. I'm much more confident that Ron Paul will not win the nomination, but if he did, IMO that would just make the election season much more interesting. Ron Paul is a little better on pure policy when it comes to challenging Obama's weak spots—these are things that Republicans would generally not acknowledge as weaknesses—but his debate skills are profoundly lacking.

There it is.

#99 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

That's cuz he's old and doddering now, he used to be a real firebrand:

#100 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

He still is. His tirades have made the debates entertaining. He just can't really put forth a coherent argument without tripping all over himself.

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users