• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7581 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

Holy shit...it's so much worse than we thought.

Also, Avenatti delivers on his promises again. He may be a showboater, but damned if he hasn't proved everything he's said since the beginning.

And this is by sworn affidavit...meaning that she would be perjuring herself if anything in that document were untrue.

This is big.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7582 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:45 PM

At this point I really do wonder what the republicans are thinking. They're just going to elect him and wash their hands of his (alleged) guilt? Like how do they explain themselves if a week or a month or a year from now pictures emerge or women keep coming king forward? Do they just mumble something about the deep state? This seems oddly out of character and very tone deaf of the veteran politicians of the party.

#7583 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 26 September 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

At this point I really do wonder what the republicans are thinking. They're just going to elect him and wash their hands of his (alleged) guilt? Like how do they explain themselves if a week or a month or a year from now pictures emerge or women keep coming king forward? Do they just mumble something about the deep state? This seems oddly out of character and very tone deaf of the veteran politicians of the party.

From what I've heard McConnell actually tried hard to push Trump AWAY from Kavanaugh...and since that "list" of 65 women who were "not raped" that came out after the first accusation pretty quickly (something that arguably would have taken months to compile)...He and the rest of the GOP KNEW Kavanaugh had these skeletons. All Trump can see is the guy who will keep him free of persecution, while other right-wing MINDED SCOTUS possibilities on the GOP list probably all don't/won't. So if the GOP are jamming him through, it's to keep Trump away form persecution.

It's not about Roe V Wade either, as the likely woman who would slot in if Kavanaugh stepped down (Amy Coney Barret) would destroy Roe V Wade in a heartbeat too...so it's not about that.

It's about Trump. Kavanaugh would rule he can't be indicted if Mueller brings down the hammer. That's what this all comes down to. Trump is fighting for his freedom now because he knows the law is going to come knocking. This is also why he wanted the SCOTUS pick rammed through before November.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7584 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

Here's how Kavanaugh 'redeemed' himself in the intervening years:

'Mr. Kavanaugh convinced Mr. Starr to reopen what he called a "full-fledged" investigation of the Foster matter, telling his colleagues, as justification, that "we have received allegations that Mr. Foster's death related to President and Mrs. Clinton's involvement" in Whitewater and other alleged scandals.

Who were these unnamed, presumably reliable sources on whose word the case should be reopened? Mr. Kavanaugh's files in the National Archives make clear that they were some of the most ludicrous hard-right conspiracy-mongers of the time.

[...] Mr. Kavanaugh apparently took a special interest in Hillary Clinton's bruited affair with Mr. Foster, a popular rumor in the fever swamps of the right.

Of course, Mr. Kavanaugh proved nothing new, as there was nothing new to prove except in conspiratorial illusion. [...] His office spread malicious sexual innuendo about Hillary Clinton, whom he seems to have regarded as prey. By reopening a closed investigation, he irresponsibly gave the Foster conspiracy freaks credibility to continue smearing the Clintons and poison public debate for another three years, all at the taxpayers' expense.'

https://www.nytimes....nce-foster.html

'I am strongly opposed to giving the President any 'break' in the questioning regarding the details of the Lewinsky relationship. [...] He has committed perjury [...] He has lied to the American people. He should be forced to account for all of that and to defend his actions. It may not be our job to impose sanctions on him, but it is our job to make his pattern of revolting behavior clear--piece by painful piece'

Memo from Kavanaugh to Kenneth Starr on the questioning of Bill Clinton

https://int.nyt.com/...full.pdf#page=1

'The 445-page, X-rated [Starr] report existed in the form it did for one purpose only: To make the American people become so morally repulsed by Clinton's behavior that they would rise up in fury and demand that he leave office. And this was done, as the memo reveals, at the behest of Brett Kavanaugh.'

https://www.thedaily...-piece?ref=home

'Judge Kavanaugh always takes law students from Yale. The symbiotic relationship there is that Yale can say their students always get great clerkships, and in exchange Yale law professor Amy Chua makes sure Kavanaugh always has a stream of female law school students who look like models. Really. Click that link.

Kavanaugh fed law clerks to Judge Alex Kozinski. That's part of what made Kavanaugh such a great place to start a law career. Kozinski was famous. For power. But also for harassment. Chua and her husband, Jed Rubenfeld, also a Yale law professor and also already under investigation, knew about the harassment. It was common knowledge among Yale faculty.

That feeder system is done. Kozinski was forced to resign. And Chua is on mysterious, emergency medical leave, not even able to write her own emails to the press.'

http://blog.penelope...he-world-works/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

#7585 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

I mean it certainly sounds like the guy was hiding his behaviour in plain sight, and everyone just chose to let him get away with it.

But yeah, for a guy who had such a thrill for bringing down Clinton on sexual escapades...his closet seems like it's significantly DARKER.

#7586 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

EDIT: It should be noted that Swetnick has 7 security clearances in the US govt (putting her career on the line to tell the truth)...and two witnesses...I'm fairly sure that makes Kavanaugh toast as a nominee and because Maryland has no statute of limitations on sexual assault...quite possibly disbarment AND criminal proceedings.

We shall see.

For what it's worth I find ALL these women brave as hell to come forward in the face of such assholes like Grassley (who will try to shut them down to push Kav through)...and tell their stories. I admire the heck out of them.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

#7587 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

I don't really get what the republican defense of the letter signed by women saying he was good is meant to tell anyone.

How many signatures could Bill Cosby have gotten a few years back. Unless you assault/harass every woman you ever meet, there are gonna be some people to vouch for you.

On the other side, don't really know how I feel about this in the abstract. There are some pretty open questions here about both what the burden of proof to disqualify a nominee ought to be, and also what accusations ought to disqualify or not.

And since that is bound to be misinterpreted, I am not saying that I do not believe Ford or the other accusers, nor that I think a sexual assault should not disqualify him.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7588 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

All I can see is the accusers willing to step forward and be questioned about it in the face of open hostility. And the accused doing everything he can to avoid those questions. That speaks louder than anything else.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7589 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 26 September 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7590 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:58 PM

That, like the article I posted earlier (still worth reading! and it's <5 minutes) precede the latest, perhaps 'most' damning revelations. It's kinda making me too sad and mad to really think about the 'politics' of this latest survivor's affidavit, but I would hope it turns the tide somehow.

#7591 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:40 PM

I've said this elsewhere...

Your republican party, as an entity, may have been damaged to the point that no decent people should really consider them to have any integrity or honor left. This however, does not mean that the republican party will not win elections.

So if anyone here is thinking about stating that "the blue wave" is coming and Trump will gone, etc. Don't! Because the blue wave might not come and Trump just might get reelected.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7592 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

This news conference is just fantabulous. Trump thanking reporters??? LOL. (Distract distract distract!)

Can't wait to see the fact checks on what he is spewing.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7593 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 September 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 26 September 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

This news conference is just fantabulous. Trump thanking reporters??? LOL. (Distract distract distract!)

Can't wait to see the fact checks on what he is spewing.

My jaw has mostly been on the floor since Acosta's opening dickery. This conference is bonkers.

I was at work. CNN Acosta? I'm sure that went well.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7594 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:38 AM

#7595 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:16 AM

This makes our non sitting government look positively sane

#7596 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Watching the Kavanaugh hearing...and sweet tap-dancing crap this Grassley asshole can go fuck himself. What a POS he is.

#7597 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:01 PM

What's this about Avenatti being a possible presidential candidate?

#7598 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:18 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 27 September 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

Idiocy?
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7599 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

I have a feeling he's only talking about that to get under 45's skin. But I could be wrong. He is a showboater after all.

#7600 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 September 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

I have a feeling he's only talking about that to get under 45's skin. But I could be wrong. He is a showboater after all.

That actually sounds plausible, and like a good strategy on his part.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

89 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 89 guests, 0 anonymous users