• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7201 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

^^^Yeah, the Wildlife Conservation Council was stuffed with trophy hunters or affiliates earlier this year: Link

On another note, these are particularly tough reads, so putting them behind spoiler:
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7202 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

These past two weeks I've fallen down a YouTube hole of Trump/Putin/US politics coverage on MSNBC and CNN, ... aaand now I actually kind of get Trumps talk about the media being the enemy.

I've heard people say that MSNBC was the liberal equivalent of FOX News but I didn't realize it was that similar. I mean, listening to Rachel Meadows analysis is akin to listening to Glen Beck or Sean Hannity. This Larence O'donnel guy just straight up hates Trump and mocks him in his opening monologues. All their coverage is around 33% facts and quotes and 66% worst case scenario theory crafting featuring guests saying the sky is falling.

I'm not saying MSNBC aren't on the "right side" of this but the narrative and approach to the coverage is definitely reminiscent of FOX News. 

If I was a trump supporter I'd look at MSNBCs coverage and probably think the same thing that sane people think about FOX News.

News coverage shouldn't be presented like a prize fight.

#7203 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

Cable news sucks pretty much across the board (Chris Hayes's noble attempt in the format aside), and I won't defend it. You're absolutely right that they treat politics like a game and are constantly talking about winners and losers, things like that.

I will say Donald Trump's problem with the media has nothing to do with its investigative quality or breadth of coverage, and everything to do with the binary of whether it plays into or against his interests. His lashing out isn't confined to cable news, and he very much supports the by-far worst offender FOX (whose prime-time lineup is made up of literal white supremacists Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham -- MSNBC & CNN have nothing near an equivalent roster), so there's no reason to rack your brain for ways to give Trump's POV any legitimacy. Bill Cosby lashes out at the press too...and like Trump, it's a wholly independent phenomenon from whether cable news offers competent journalism or not.

#7204 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

Yeah if MSNBC put out a very Pro-Trump message all of a sudden you can guarantee it wouldn't be fake news any more...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7205 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:09 PM

But if your point is more along the lines of "Jeez, if these guys (i.e. at CNN and MSNBC) really cared about the country, they probably shouldn't be handing Trump such easy targets" then I don't disagree.

#7206 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:43 AM

Quit Facebook.

#7207 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:29 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 28 July 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

All their coverage is around 33% facts and quotes and 66% worst case scenario theory crafting featuring guests saying the sky is falling.

The dramatization may be a bit much, but what we are seeing on the local governmental level is bracing for the absolute worst to happen - defunding of every single social directed program possible. Healthcare, welfare, housing programs, transportation, infrastructure, schools etc.

I am now dealing with this at my job - where I am a lawyer that does free legal work to help beneficiaries of Social Security. I work on a wide range of issues and the one common thread through all of them right now is that everyone I deal with - from clients to government workers to other public service personnel - is extremely scared of what is to come because the money is going to be taken away. This isn't an "if the sky falls", it's "the sky is falling and we're figuring out how fast and bad it's going to fall".

It's extremely bad here and unless a huge sea change happens politically in the next 4 years (the Democrats take the House, the Senate, and then actually get to work on reversing all of this), people are going to wither, fail, and die in numbers over the hundreds of thousands. This will disproportionately affect the poor, the people with non-white skin color, and the disabled. I am going to possibly lose my job if the grants for my program are gone, but that's nothing in comparison to the carnage my clients and potential clients and people who I'll never get to will experience.

This is more than a game. This is more than "talking points". This is people's lives and it's extremely scary right now.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7208 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

The circular logic here presents as dementia to me...either that or they are actively trying to change the rules with people as to what's wrong and what's not....either way, in case anyone forgot...we are in the darkest timeline...

Attached File  DJidiot.png (39.44K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 July 2018 - 01:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7209 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:59 PM

Just desperate words from a man who is in a tightening vice. But yeah, he's a wack-a-doo also.

#7210 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:48 PM

Yah, I won't rule out the dementia angle, but I will say I don't think it's necessary to explain him: 1) he's incredibly stupid, like phenomenally so, which for some reason rarely comes up in discussions about him. Cuz he's a businessman, I guess. 2) he's old and watches Fox News...anyone who knows anyone who's become a regular Fox News viewer in the time they've know them has seen the drastic change. It's crazy how much this channel genuinely and -- no joke -- tragically warps these people's brains. 3) He's a con man. And I don't mean he runs hustles, I mean he's a pathological liar with an overwhelming need to get one over on everyone. Pop culture kinda glamorizes con artistry, but there's kind of a patheticness to these people who can't help themselves, like Bernie Madoff or folks who get caught embezzling and wind up killing themselves. It's a personality disorder, this need to lie and grift at all times.

#7211 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

#7212 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

I mean, if this isn't winning I dont know what is.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7213 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 07 August 2018 - 10:22 PM, said:

This was a long time coming.
https://www.huffingt...1d?guccounter=1
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#7214 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:09 PM

Come on guys, he's doing asbestos he can.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7215 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:56 PM

Boo hiss!

Anywho Assange's lawyer spoke. That dude is fucked. Good.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7216 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

Holy fuck.

My uncle from the states has just landed home for a few weeks. first time hes been home in years.

He's a trump supporter.

like full on believes all the conspiracy bullshit hilary is evil the pizza shop peadophile ring is real trump supporter.

trump is very clever and is driving out the old guard and they're running scared. FML

what really gets me is he's a VERY intelligent man, really switched on, well read, and knows his world history very well. But is just full on batshit templars crazy.

#7217 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 August 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Holy fuck.

My uncle from the states has just landed home for a few weeks. first time hes been home in years.

He's a trump supporter.

like full on believes all the conspiracy bullshit hilary is evil the pizza shop peadophile ring is real trump supporter.

trump is very clever and is driving out the old guard and they're running scared. FML

what really gets me is he's a VERY intelligent man, really switched on, well read, and knows his world history very well. But is just full on batshit templars crazy.

I mean, there's a contradiction in there you know
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#7218 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:30 PM

yeah yeah I know.

But Nico is clearly an educated guy, just sometimes seems to slip off the deep end so....

#7219 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

View PostMacros, on 16 August 2018 - 02:30 PM, said:

yeah yeah I know.

But Nico is clearly an educated guy, just sometimes seems to slip off the deep end so....

The cult of Fox news is a hell of a Drug.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#7220 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:14 PM

He actually brought up Fox as being reasonably well balanced compared to CNN, at that point I nearly did a spit take with my coffee.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

75 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 75 guests, 0 anonymous users