The USA Politics Thread

#6621 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 20 April 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

View PostAlternative Goose, on 20 April 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

Can you explain that number? You spend 49% of your tax dollars on education (which doesn't sound right) or are you saying 49% of the money for education is spent on administration, buildings, etc.?

View PostAlternative Goose, on 20 April 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

I was referring to the 51 cents on the dollar quote. I am not down with that whole budget slang.

49th in education spending out of 50.

51% of money allocated to education goes to schools, classrooms, and educators. Rest is overhead, administration, testing, etc.

Exactly that. It would be interesting to know what the national average is on how much goes toward overhead. I searched, but could not locate it.

Yea I heard it and can’t quite find it overall with where we rank, but I don’t think it’s quite the worst. Some states pension promises are currently eating them alive. I still would vote for a parity of 1:1 for teachers median.. even base pay to pension retirement payouts. Some states have this redic thing where you can get multiple pensions for each job you worked ! ( you get a pension for being the High School coach, a high school teacher and retire a administrator x3 pensions and rake it in ) The pension payments is going to come up quite often from this point on the national level.

More teachers should be following suite in other states, let’s push up the pay level.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6622 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Nic, I don't ever think I've agreed on anything with you so much. Teachers need better pay and benefits nationwide. Professionals that max out at lowest levels of other professional degrees.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6623 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

Know what would make pension reform a lot more palatable? Universal health care.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6624 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

I want it too, Amph. But, it is a pipe dream for the foreseeable future. There is not enough political clout to even maintain Obamacare, let alone a NHS.

The 1% owning the 90% of the money will shoot that down with more guided missile than has ever been designed.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6625 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

Two things: 1. Nico for president! 2. Universal healthcare won't happen under DJT, but I don't think it's a pipe dream for the foreseeable future! Sure there are plenty of Dems who are beholden to moneyed interests too, but the momentum is heading in one direction and any Dem administration will be under pressure to get it done. I think it's possible by 2040.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6626 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

Whereas in the UK we are rapidly sliding into private healthcare thanks to the fucking tories

#6627 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:39 AM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 20 April 2018 - 07:55 PM, said:

Two things: 1. Nico for president! 2. Universal healthcare won't happen under DJT, but I don't think it's a pipe dream for the foreseeable future! Sure there are plenty of Dems who are beholden to moneyed interests too, but the momentum is heading in one direction and any Dem administration will be under pressure to get it done. I think it's possible by 2040.

What gives you this hope? Idealism? Sorry, but it isn't pragmatic.

Aim for the stars, I agree, but prepare for atmosphere.

#6628 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:36 AM

The town halls during the run to destroy Obamacare. The increasing ability to observe successful single payer systems in other countries. The cliff over which boomers & older are headed. The momentum health care coverage still has, and its place at or near the top of many people's most important issues. The way human weather vanes like Kirsten Gillibrand and Cory Booker, who really really want to be president some day, have pointed their noses in this direction. The fact that it's relatively popular and will only become more so: LINK

And yah a bit of hope and idealism. I don't think it'll necessarily happen with the next Dem president, but that president will be under the pressure to get it done like no other president in history, and I don't think the momentum is gonna change.

#6629 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 April 2018 - 08:35 PM, said:

Whereas in the UK we are rapidly sliding into private healthcare thanks to the fucking tories

Funny how half the country won't be able to afford it anyway so the Tory policy of wealth-based eugenics is evidently alive and well.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#6630 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

Michelle Pfieffer in SCARFACE:

Attached File  Pf1.jpg (24.63K)
Number of downloads: 0

Melania at yesterday's State visit proceedings:

Attached File  Mel2.jpg (29.65K)
Number of downloads: 0

Cry for help?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6631 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

Or she just likes the outfit.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6632 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:59 PM

Who wears white after labour day??

#6633 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:21 PM

View PostBriar King, on 25 April 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

Some days keeping up with this is just exhausting. I'm burning out quite frequently now.

What do you think of this, BK? Unforgivable?
https://twitter.com/...152209731510273

#6634 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:33 PM

Reason 957 why you need a Kindle Fire (or other tablet) so you can read articles/watch vids comfortably online instead of waiting for cable news doofuses to cover more than one story per day.

#6635 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

#6636 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

I watched a little of Fox and Friends this morning, with Donald Trump. That man is seriously unhinged. I mean, I've read transcrips of interviews before, and it was always pretty clear that he is barely coherent and rather dumb. However, this time around he sounded like he was well past some sort of edge. I wonder if there's ever been an example of an american president yelling on national television before.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6637 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 27 April 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

I watched a little of Fox and Friends this morning, with Donald Trump. That man is seriously unhinged. I mean, I've read transcrips of interviews before, and it was always pretty clear that he is barely coherent and rather dumb. However, this time around he sounded like he was well past some sort of edge. I wonder if there's ever been an example of an american president yelling on national television before.

And apparently he gave out info that directly conflicts with his stances to the point that Storny Daniels lawyer Avenatti was like "wow, I can't believe he made that admission"

I also like that the Fox guy even tries to shut him down when he starts bitching about the deep state and corrupt justice department...the Fox guy is like "But it's YOUR justice department. They are all Republicans. Your republicans"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6638 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

so even Fox are fed up with his stupidity?

#6639 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:32 PM

Trump is their viewership. Imagine millions of him.

#6640 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

They're planning for the future.
They need to be able to say they didn't completely slobber all over the ring the entire time Emperor Trump was on the throne.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

44 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 44 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook