#1761 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 June 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

Damn McCain

He's mostly well liked here

Dude! Could you iamgine if McCain won...

https://en.wikipedia..._campaign,_2000

I was one the folks that put those flag's on the corner for this..<<this guy
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1762 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Flags?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#1763 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

is this an Arizona thing? I put up flags and signs for McCain..for President..

I met the guy, i grew up across the street from a republican politician..like across the street from a Rep. I mean walking distance..that's normal right?
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1764 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

Extent of Republican infiltration needs further ascertaining...

I jest. It's very normal. As a youngster, I played with the kids of a local Republican judge - who later got kicked off the bench. http://www.nytimes.c...on/15judge.html Judge Bauer played to his own tune a bit too much.

The flag thing is something I've not seen up here. Just signs, stickers and pamphlets are used here for campaigns. Flags cost too much.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1765 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:08 AM

Speaking of flags...

God don't like ugly.

There it is.

#1766 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

Incidentally if anyone pushes lawn signs as something useful, ignore them, lawn signs are probably the least effective method available for any politician for literally anything. Except littering.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1767 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

Are you serious about lawn signs? Because they do seem to work over here as both social signaling and reminders to vote.

Every year and across both Canada and the US, there's dozens of politicians fined for removing lawn signs of opponents.

#1768 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:50 AM

Question to my american malazites. Up here, as far as i can tell, its perceived that theres a pretty clear relationship between the confederate flag and supporting racism. Yet despite this many hold onto these flags as important symbols. Can someone care to explain this to me, as if the link between the flag and racism was as apparent, why would anyone even attempt to defend the flag?

#1769 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:03 AM

Because they're racists.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1770 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

I just want Trump to become president because of the Comedic content he would make possible. Imagine what would happen if John Oliver had Donald Trump to work with.

Serious question here, how likely is Bernie Sanders' nomination? He seems an all around awesome person for a politician and it seems like it would be a waste if he has absolutely no chance. :p

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 01 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1771 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostBalrogLord, on 01 July 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

Question to my american malazites. Up here, as far as i can tell, its perceived that theres a pretty clear relationship between the confederate flag and supporting racism. Yet despite this many hold onto these flags as important symbols. Can someone care to explain this to me, as if the link between the flag and racism was as apparent, why would anyone even attempt to defend the flag?

This phenomenon has quite a few things happening within it. The use of symbols in our consciousness (individual commercial and societal) is really interesting and intersects this too.

The American Civil War was always about slavery. The declarations of secession from most of the states that left the United States baldly states this. As historians and writers are now re-re-re-explaining to us, slaves were like cars. An overwhelming majority of Southern white people with money bought, sold and abused black people who they deemed as property and Southern white people without money worked to get the $ to afford slaves. It was a matter of fact thing and the plundering system allowed people to make huge amounts of money. The people in the Northern states were slowly phasing that mindset out, yet a sizable group up there still believed in the slave system (not a majority though). It wasn't "all people in the North vs all people in the South" over the issue of slavery, but it was pretty agreed upon up North that slavery should stop being a thing Americans did.

The American Civil War was unusual in that the losing side (the slave-owning South) was very quickly able to shift tactics of oppressing black/brown people from outright slavery to the Jim Crow system (using legal tricks and racist gov't/racist police enforcement/racist banks to keep black people from voting, from increasing their social mobility, from protecting their property and rights and so on without actually making them slaves or causing a country-wide black uprising). This was in part driven by the assassination of Lincoln - which gave the presidency to Andrew Johnson. The dropoff in quality of leadership, competence and drive for social improvement from Lincoln to Johnson was enormous. That dropoff led to widespread obstructionism at the national, state, and local levels regarding dismantling the institutions of slavery and oppression of black people. It led to the "Reconstruction Program" being kinda a failure. It led to millions of black slaves being "free", but not actually free. It led to much more too. Lincoln probably wouldn't have fixed everything, but he really did make ending slavery and setting black people on a not-shitty standing a driving purpose for his presidency. A smooth handoff directly to another anti-slavery politician (Ulysses Grant could have been president earlier for example) almost certainly would have had massive positive impacts on the US as a whole.

Add in that the South also very quickly started creating mythology out of thin air about their "noble war", about "Northern carpetbaggers", about a gentle and luxurious for everyone antebellum South that existed only in fantasies. Slavery was/is horrible. The conditions in the American South for slaves were terrible, whether field or house slaves. However, the mythology covered this up and put a rosy light on the "kind slaveowners who taught illiterate, stupid slaves how to take care of themselves and learn the value of hard work despite being lazy". This reshaping of the recent past caught on in a big way (much like German post-World War 1 and other nations in similar situations). White people from poor backgrounds particularly bought into this mythology.

These things (and more) kept feeding each other for decades and decades. The people who cling most to the Confederate flag are the descendants of poor white people who don't see institutional racism as being a thing. They only see "slave-owning" as racism. They don't have the same concept of racism and disadvantage as sane people do. They yell about pride in their heritage and the Great South Before Yankees Ruined It, but that's a heritage and past that they refuse to see as being built upon slavery. It's not even that far back. The last living Civil War veterans died in the late 1950s. The grandsons of important public figures back then are walking around today.

The Confederate States of America (the South) actually had a few different flags of varying design. The "crossed blue lines with white stars above a red background" flag was a battle flag that kinda sorta made it as a non-mass produced Confederate flag. It looks visually interesting and its intent really was to show white supremacy by having the battle flag up in the left corner and a white background around it. But people started chopping off the white background because it looked like a flag of truce/surrender.

Symbols matter in ways that aren't always easy to explain. The flag is a symbol of a way of life in which people intentionally baked in institutional oppression of people who aren't white and aren't Christian. The people who like the flag do mental contortions, school history revising and a whole lot of yelling to avoid confronting that fact. Plus the Confederate flag didn't fly above state capitols until the 1950s and 1960s, when it was put up there as a reaction to the huge black civil rights movements.

Many, many white Southerners are very deluded about what this particular symbol means and have tied the flag symbol to their identities in interesting ways. They use it as social signaling - as in saying "I'm proud I'm from the South", which may mean something more along the lines of "Yes, I'm poor, but I'm still proud" and even deeper "Yes, I'm poor, but we who think alike are all going to band together to keep things going our way and NOT THEIRS and eventually be rich". The "they" buried into that symbol are Northerners, are people who aren't white, are people who aren't Christian, are people who don't do things the way they do, are people who aren't thought about much in terms of being actually human. It is a symbol of purposeful otherization and most people otherize non-Southerners (however idiotically loose a concept that is) with it very comfortably.

All this happens on obvious and subtle levels alike. Kids grow up with Confederate flags on all manner of toys, clothes, advertising and so on. Many never quite face the history producing the deep sting of seeing that flag. They adopt this symbology into their own lives, proliferate it, and even honor it. Some even start to believe it is a good symbol and that what it represents are good things. Some of those people start thinking that yes, black people are sub-human and taking/stealing from whites and so on.

A symbol becomes hate and hate becomes violence (or becomes a way of baking oppression into the lives of others and the advantages of plunder into yours).

#1772 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 01 July 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

Serious question here, how likely is Bernie Sanders' nomination? He seems an all around awesome person for a politician and it seems like it would be a waste if he has absolutely no chance. :p

0.1% chance.

It would take something like the incapacitation or death of Hilary Clinton for that to budge. And I think the Democratic Party would still put someone else in over him.

#1773 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

View Postamphibian, on 27 June 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

Scalia hires very, very good clerks who amplify his judicial reputation and also his tilt towards mass media punditry.

All the Justices hire good clerks, but Scalia's have been of better quality and more devoted to legal contortions required to keep believing the Constitution is a dead document.

Ted Cruz, the buffoon candidate for Republican nomination, wrote in his memoir about his experiences as a clerk for Chief Justice Rehnquist. It mostly bears out what I told you above:

http://www.politico....19529_full.html

#1774 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

View Postamphibian, on 01 July 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

View PostBalrogLord, on 01 July 2015 - 04:50 AM, said:

Symbols matter in ways that aren't always easy to explain. The flag is a symbol of a way of life in which people intentionally baked in institutional oppression of people who aren't white and aren't Christian. The people who like the flag do mental contortions, school history revising and a whole lot of yelling to avoid confronting that fact. Plus the Confederate flag didn't fly above state capitols until the 1950s and 1960s, when it was put up there as a reaction to the huge black civil rights movements.

The Mississippi state flag was adopted in 1894.

There it is.

#1775 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

I just want Trump to become president because of the Comedic content he would make possible. Imagine what would happen if John Oliver had Donald Trump to work with.

He probably does have no chance, but it's worth noting that he is turning out bigger crowds than anyone else at this stage. Unfortunately the most enthusiastic members of the party will not be the ones who decide the nominee, and Hillary has a solid backing of party centrists.

There it is.

#1776 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

Because this was originally Election 2012, morphed into American Politics after the election, and now we've got Election 2016 + assorted topics. Most topics fit in here due to the nature of the elections, no need for new threads generally.

It'll morph back after the election.

Plus Terez sent me a message asking when I'd change it.

I'm open to fun suggestions.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#1777 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:12 AM

View PostTerez, on 01 July 2015 - 06:56 PM, said:

He probably does have no chance, but it's worth noting that he is turning out bigger crowds than anyone else at this stage. Unfortunately the most enthusiastic members of the party will not be the ones who decide the nominee, and Hillary has a solid backing of party centrists.

Sanders wont be president, but he will force Hillary to pull her rethoric to the left, much like the evangelists and tea-party people force the republican candidates to the right. In the case of Sanders this is a positive thing I'd argue. The US could benefit from a bit of leftist politics.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1778 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

View Postworry, on 30 June 2015 - 03:36 AM, said:

Neat article from a historical plantation tour guide: http://www.vox.com/2...at-a-plantation

AMA by this guy on Reddit.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1779 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

The mental image that I now have of Trump. *shudder*
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1780 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:02 PM

So you are trying the US politics thread to a poorly written book about spouse abuse?

I mean that seems a little odd for me.

Try 'A choice between a used douche and a turd sandwich'.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users