• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#141 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

I'm just going to put this here

http://youtu.be/9zuHm9ZtiCA
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#142 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostObdigore, on 05 April 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

What is it? That dot between the u and the b has me too scared to click it.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#143 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostD, on 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 05 April 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

What is it? That dot between the u and the b has me too scared to click it.

It redirects. And it's an Obama video. I think it's a shortened link for Twitter or something.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I知 not talking about Donald Trump. I知 talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#144 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Sanity perseveres in the conservative party. Romney is going to be the nominee and thus the original subtitle is changed.

That's the best hope for a victory and finally managed. I thought Santorum might stay in til Pennsylvania was done, but he did well for his party in getting out. Gingrich is all but gone as he is bouncing checks, and Paul has always been of the wingnut variety for the mainstream party.

Should be interesting.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#145 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

I just noticed that Ron Paul trounced Newt in terms of popular vote. And all the Ron Paul wingnuts on my Google+ etc. are starting to refer to him as the 'Constitutional Candidate'. Did I miss something? I did a quick search but didn't see anything. Not that lack of media attention would be anything new for him...

There it is.

#146 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostTerez, on 14 April 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

I just noticed that Ron Paul trounced Newt in terms of popular vote. And all the Ron Paul wingnuts on my Google+ etc. are starting to refer to him as the 'Constitutional Candidate'. Did I miss something? I did a quick search but didn't see anything. Not that lack of media attention would be anything new for him...

He's always been a possible third party candidate due to his "uniqueness." With the GOP locked up it seems logical at this point for him to continue his "movement" as the Libertarian candidate or even under his own brand. Paul supporters are rabid.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#147 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

From what I hear, Gary Johnson is in the lead for the actual Libertarian nomination, but that may change if Ron Paul (or his supporters) switch over to vying for that role.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#148 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

Johnson actually seems more right than Romney. Strange. But, then, some of Paul's politics are left of Obama, while the rest are Righter than rain.

#149 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostH.D., on 14 April 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

View PostTerez, on 14 April 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

He's always been a possible third party candidate due to his "uniqueness."

Well, duh. I think we have all been expecting it, but I was just wondering if there had been an official announcement. It's particularly of interest since he's been insisting that a third-party run isn't going to happen (though he's also said he wouldn't rule it out completely). His reasoning for not wanting to do it is that he thinks third party candidates get shafted at debates and in media coverage.

There it is.

#150 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

No. No official announcement.

Anything official from Paul is rare, though. :(

#151 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Kansas offers a blueprint for the national level. This is what happens when moderate conservatives just don't accept the fact of how far right the goals of the Rep. Party have shifted: http://www.salon.com...plan/singleton/

Kansas is special. In most American states in which Republicans control the state legislature, the GOP busies itself with redistricting efforts designed to minimize the chances of Democratic electoral success. But in Kansas, the fight is over new districts cooked up to get rid of moderate Republicans. Similarly, nearly all Republican-dominated states are working hard to limit the ability of women to get abortions, but only in Kansas will you hear a state legislator compare rape to a flat tire.

Something is clearly the matter with Kansas, so it may be it痴 not the wisest idea to go overboard extrapolating from the state痴 behavior to potential developments on the national scene. On the other hand, if you池e wondering what complete Republican control of the U.S. government at the federal level would look like, Kansas does offer some clues.

Take taxes, for example. Last week, Kansas House and Senate negotiators agreed on a new tax plan that will sharply cut income taxes for wealthy state residents while at the same time raising taxes on the poor. The result, predictably, will be a shortfall in state revenue that will undoubtedly force additional cuts to state services.

The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities provides the analysis, but you don稚 have to trust the left-leaning think tank for the spin. A newly formed group of retired Kansas Republican legislators are also declaring that enough is enough. The bottom line is this: If you池e wealthy enough and smart enough to structure your business affairs correctly, you can avoid both corporate taxes and income taxes. But if you池e poor, you will have to choose between whether you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, or a state-funded rebate on sales taxes charged on groceries. One or the other! Not both! Because if there is a tax loophole that favors working-class Americans, we壇 better close it!

The details are different, but the basic outline is similar to the ideas codified in Paul Ryan痴 Mitt Romney-endorsed budget: We値l pay for tax cuts for the wealthy by cutting services that help the poor. Romney might not be as conservative as Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, but when the bills passed by a GOP-controlled Legislature start arriving on his desk, his response will be identical: He値l sign it.

#152 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

#153 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

For some reason I can't watch that. I made it in about a minute and had to quit.

There it is.

#154 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

Debates are going to be brutal for him. He'll get his shots in against Obama, but he's going to be torn to shreds.

#155 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Part of me is anxious for the debates to begin already. Part of me wants to skip to November.

There it is.

#156 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

If this is how the Obama admin is gonna take on negative advertising the whole way through, then I think it's gonna be pretty effective: http://www.upworthy....ll-an-attack-ad

#157 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

lol. I love how she's all, "I keep hearing about this Tumblr thing. Whatever that is, use that too."

There it is.

#158 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

So Obama publically supports gay marriage, and is essentially affirming a new Democratic Party position on the matter.

This should fire things up in the debates. Who the fuck cares about the economy, unemployment, foreign policy, ongoing wars, health care or any of that other trivial "running the nation" stuff?

Gay marriage and abortion are obviously the two most important issues the USA has to deal with right now. BY FAR.

Actually, it's pretty clever on Obama's part. He's putting the democrats squarely on the pro-choice, pro-equality platform and recent trends in popular opinion are coming out strongly in support of those two issues. There's no way Romney can go far enough to centre at this point to win swing votes right?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#159 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

The stories about Romney bullying effeminate schoolmates are really disturbing. Beyond that, there are still months to go. This will fade somewhat before long.

There it is.

#160 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Every Presidential candidate has unpleasant things in their past, but the things that keep popping up with Romney are nauseating. The dog/roof thing, this bullying, how Bain Capital makes its money and so on. Eeeuuugh.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users