• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#11961 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:17 PM

Macros, on 13 November 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

man stay out of the comment section of the QT link, 'murica be fucking craxy!

Hoo boy. I didn't even look. Thanks for warning me!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11962 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:33 PM

QuickTidal, on 13 November 2020 - 07:29 PM, said:

Man, this stuff just gets better and better.

https://www.newsweek...r-court-1547233

The comments on this article? What? They're relatively tame, I have seen FAR worse than this.

On a related note, some guy with a weird Irish sounding name (that's not meant as a perjorative, some of those names are just straight up weird in my opinion) blocked me after a lengthy discussion on The Economist's facebook page.

Damn, I was rather enjoying it.

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#11963 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:55 PM

Ha! Trump out here doing a press conference attempting to give the impression he is still at work. Sorry Donny boy we don't fall for this, just go away.

#11964 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:08 PM

Primateus, on 13 November 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 13 November 2020 - 07:29 PM, said:

Man, this stuff just gets better and better.

https://www.newsweek...r-court-1547233

The comments on this article? What? They're relatively tame, I have seen FAR worse than this.

On a related note, some guy with a weird Irish sounding name (that's not meant as a perjorative, some of those names are just straight up weird in my opinion) blocked me after a lengthy discussion on The Economist's facebook page.

Damn, I was rather enjoying it.

Yeah those were definitely not that bad. Hi into a Facebook post about vaccines or something for the really horrendous comments.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#11965 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:09 PM

I don’t have time to check but he posted one above that also about secure elections.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11966 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:12 AM

'leaders of the Republican majorities in legislatures in key states, including Pennsylvania, Michigan, Arizona and Georgia, told The New York Times this week through their offices that they saw no role for themselves in picking electors.

[...] This political gambit, to the degree that it’s an organized strategy at all, has a theoretical basis in law, according to experts. But if it were to proceed, it could cause widespread outrage and be seen as an attempt to subvert the democratic process.'

https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

#11967 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:29 PM

I'm loving these little tidbits that are coming out about the Bidens.

* Jill Biden will be the first FLOTUS to have a full-time job outside her duties as First Lady

* They have two dogs, German shepherds, and pets will return to the White House after four years of Trump no-pet policy. There's something fundamentally wrong with that, from my point of view. You don't have a pet, we got problems.

- Bonus, one of the Bidens' dogs is a rescue/shelter dog. That scores huge points in my book.

#11968 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

Running some errands over the weekend, I saw a another one of those flag trucks. This time it didn't have a Trump 2020 flag (can't fault them for being current with the times). Instead, this truck was flying one of those blue American flags and one of those coiled "don't tread on me" rattle snake flags. I'm ignorant about why the "don't tread on me" flag is popular with MAGA people. Doesn't it have something to do with, and plays with the idea, of being ready to strike out if the federal government stomps on me with it's oppressive boot of federal control or something? So, wouldn't the MAGA dummies have that filed away until Trump leaves office?

#11969 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:44 PM

I could be wrong here but the don’t tread on me snake is pro second amendment, pro self reliance and yes anti fed government but don’t people believe that republicans are pro small government. I want to be able to drown the government in the bathtub types.

#11970 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:38 PM

That flag dates back to the first American Revolution. It has a bajillion meanings.

So it can mean anything you want.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11971 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:25 AM

'Trump reportedly asked advisers last week about the possibility of launching a strike against Iran as the Middle Eastern nation continues to stockpile enriched uranium. He asked for missile strike options during the Oval Office meeting on Thursday—but was ultimately convinced that an attack would be unwise since it could lead to an even greater conflict as he prepares to leave the White House in January'

https://www.thedaily...f=home?ref=home

... though if he wants to screw over Biden, that might be the point... the night before inauguration maybe?...

#11972 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:41 PM

You know this is pretty scary stuff. During a pandemic they are not taking this transfer seriously. Also considering the finding of the 9/11 commission about how the poor transition to bush played a factor. The republicans at this point seem to acknowledge he lost and there will be a transfer but why not let trump be a duck about it. We won’t face any political backlash from our base, which really has become trumps base. They really are doing nothing anymore except tallying their own votes, running the country is a byproduct for them not the reason.

#11973 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

For me, I guess some comfort can be taken from the fact that Biden has eight years prior experience in the WH. Not sure how much that accounts for, but it's something I suppose.

But yeah, this is troubling shit. I think much of this is to delay the inevitable curtain drawn back to see how inept and absolutely mismanaged the Trump presidency has been, and I hope a full accounting of what they uncover is reported out to the country. I think they may come to the conclusion they just need someone to imbed with Jared Kushner (and that's it) to hand off a transition.

This should put to bed the idea that Trump would be a great president because he is a genius business man and that his is the kind of outside, fresh new energy the swamp of the DC beltway needs. He's a farce and a snake oil salesman, carnival barker.

#11974 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:52 PM

He's a crapweasel

#11975 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:52 PM

You do realise it's an insult to snake oil salesmen to compare Trump with them. Trump is worse than that.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#11976 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:05 AM

Malankazooie, on 17 November 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

For me, I guess some comfort can be taken from the fact that Biden has eight years prior experience in the WH. Not sure how much that accounts for, but it's something I suppose.

But yeah, this is troubling shit. I think much of this is to delay the inevitable curtain drawn back to see how inept and absolutely mismanaged the Trump presidency has been, and I hope a full accounting of what they uncover is reported out to the country. I think they may come to the conclusion they just need someone to imbed with Jared Kushner (and that's it) to hand off a transition.

This should put to bed the idea that Trump would be a great president because he is a genius business man and that his is the kind of outside, fresh new energy the swamp of the DC beltway needs. He's a farce and a snake oil salesman, carnival barker.

You're expecting people to believe it was the fault of Trump and not the "establishment swamp" that all rose up to "sabotage" all his well-being attempts to "drain" it?

I suppose that's not impossible. He DID get voted out, after all.

Still, I never bet against cognitive dissonance. Call me a cynic.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#11977 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:30 AM

Holy fuck! Trump just fired head of homeland security because he said election was secure. Can we impeach him again before January?

#11978 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:32 AM

The head of CISA, which is a division of DHS created by Trump. We could impeach him again but the Republicans in the Senate are still captured so...

https://en.wikipedia...Security_Agency

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#11979 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:33 AM

EDIT - my bad! Not the head of homeland. The head of the cyber security division.

#11980 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:37 AM

Krebs said a week or more ago that he expected to be fired, so this is no surprise. Terribad, sure, but typical Trumpian bullshit.

The other big news tonight is out of Michigan, where the Wayne County (Detroit) elections board deadlocked because the Republicans on the board refused to certify the results of the election. There's no reason not to certify the results; they just think Detroit voters shouldn't count. Statements from the MI governor and secretary of state:

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users