• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#11081 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:34 PM

I'm surprised at how much attention her death has gotten. Not the worry about the supreme court seat itself, but her person. She's being treated like a Beatle died.

Is this usual with all the Supreme Court Justices or is it because she died holding on for dear life.

#11082 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:49 PM

View PostAptorian, on 22 September 2020 - 02:34 PM, said:

I'm surprised at how much attention her death has gotten. Not the worry about the supreme court seat itself, but her person. She's being treated like a Beatle died.

Is this usual with all the Supreme Court Justices or is it because she died holding on for dear life.

My thinking is that she provided a rather appetizing nucleus to glom onto for a segment of white professional class women, despite not being a person who particularly fit the projected upon her image or being someone who sought out that attention until she was in her mid 70s.

Here's a decent article that presents her as more of a regular person and gives her credit for her professional accomplishments while providing some mild criticism, especially regarding the decision to keep going after 2013 and her diagnoses with rather deadly forms of cancer.

https://defector.com...bader-ginsburg/

This post has been edited by amphibian: 22 September 2020 - 03:18 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11083 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

She kind of entered pop culture with the whole Notorious RBG and What Would RBG Do things. Twitter I guess. And liberals clinging onto anything that feels good.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11084 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

Well, looks like it's Romney's turn to run back to the GOP pack while Murkowski and Collins get to Kabuki-theatre-dissent...as he wants to approve a SCOTUS pick...picked by the guy who he claims committed a crime/crimes...

Like fuck.This is obviously because Romney wants RvW reversed so abortions can be illegal again...

These anti-abortion fuckwits need to get it through their skulls that banning abortion doesn't make it magically go away...it just goes underground. If these clowns ACTUALLY wanted it to to go away, they would fund the shit out of planned parenthood, educate, supply contraceptives ect.

But then it's not and never has been about unborn fetuses...it's about controlling fucking women bodies.

Ugh. I hate your political landscape guys.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11085 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:23 PM

I don't even think deep down these men give a toss about abortion or controlling women in that specific way. What right wing white guy who isn't a religious nut have you ever met who heard someone had an abortion and actually deep down gave a shit? They support this rubbish because of the core vote it brings. Causing untold misery to women for votes. The people who criticise them on it would never vote for them for various other reasons anyway so better not to think too hard about it.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#11086 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:59 PM

Romney almost certainly isn't strongly anti-abortion. He used to be pro-choice. Even when running for president, he 'said he would not make abortion-related legislation part of his agenda if elected'.

https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=17443452

'Grassley of Iowa and Cory Gardner of Colorado announced they’d take up the president’s pick. Grassley was chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee when it spent 11 months refusing to even hold a hearing on Garland’s nomination by President Barack Obama, and at the time he pledged he would do the same should the same situation arise in 2020. (As recently as July, Grassley said he would advise against holding a hearing for a nomination made before Nov. 3.)

[...] Gardner is also facing a very tough reelection fight in Colorado, as is Montana Sen. Steve Daines who also announced his support for moving forward with the nomination. Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa, also facing a highly competitive Senate challenge, said she would proceed with the nomination process, as did Sen. Thom Tillis, who trails in most polls in his North Carolina race. Ernst and Tillis were both vocal proponents of blocking Garland.

[...] McSally, who has trailed badly in most polls of her race in Arizona, also quickly came out in favor of moving a nominee forward.

[...] As for potentially vulnerable Republican incumbents who would be up for reelection in 2022, Sens. Rob Portman of Ohio, Marco Rubio of Florida, and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin have closed ranks to support the nomination moving forward.

[...] Of the 16 senators who have yet to declare their support one way or the other, [...] many are very vocal conservatives in extremely red states who seem exceedingly likely to support the nomination. The two possible exceptions are Sen. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Richard Burr of North Carolina, the latter of whom is retiring and the former of whom is up for reelection in a purple state in 2022 but has been a steady vote for McConnell in the past. They have repeatedly backed McConnell in other tight votes in the past and should both be expected to come around.'

https://slate.com/ne...e-vote-rbg.html

#11087 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:31 PM

Romney probably is pro choice personally, but that doesn't matter here because what he's doing is going along with the power machine led by McConnell that has as its default an anti-abortion, anti-women stance that mostly hurts women who aren't cis white and have the spending money and jobs that can support a long travel for what they need.

The individual men may not care that much about abortion and controlling women that way, but the mega donors do because so many of them like the DeVos family, the Adelson family, the Koch family, and so on are weird religious nutsos who care intensely about this. So the machine cares and they do this crap over and over.

Romney has one of the safest seats in the country and he's got no spine to stand up for what he believes in.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#11088 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:42 PM

We are going to slide back ~60 years in civil liberties, probably. While the people who are wholeheartedly in support of these changes/issues are going to die out within 20 years, the Supreme Court will set policy for the next 40 years.

Just so discouraging. The Republicans GIVE NO FUCKS about being hypocrites and liars and going back on their words. ZERO FUCKS GIVEN. They DO WHAT IT TAKES.

I'm going to be honest... I have a lot of anger and bitterness for people who refused to vote for Hillary in 2016 because they didn't get Bernie as their nominee or whatever dumb fucking reason they had to not vote.

DO YOUR CIVIC FUCKING DUTY.

VOTE LIKE YOUR MOM'S LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. IT DOES!

FUCK.

Edit: Sorry. It's very hard to remain optimistic in the face of so much just fucking blafrghadflkhglll shit.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 22 September 2020 - 10:45 PM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11089 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:56 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 22 September 2020 - 10:42 PM, said:

We are going to slide back ~60 years in civil liberties, probably. While the people who are wholeheartedly in support of these changes/issues are going to die out within 20 years, the Supreme Court will set policy for the next 40 years.

Just so discouraging. The Republicans GIVE NO FUCKS about being hypocrites and liars and going back on their words. ZERO FUCKS GIVEN. They DO WHAT IT TAKES.

I'm going to be honest... I have a lot of anger and bitterness for people who refused to vote for Hillary in 2016 because they didn't get Bernie as their nominee or whatever dumb fucking reason they had to not vote.

DO YOUR CIVIC FUCKING DUTY.

VOTE LIKE YOUR MOM'S LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. IT DOES!

FUCK.

Edit: Sorry. It's very hard to remain optimistic in the face of so much just fucking blafrghadflkhglll shit.

Dear lord don’t apologize.

We all feel it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11090 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:12 PM

I remember I literally cried when Trump was elected, because I KNEW he would ruin us. I am scared for my daughter and the world she is going to grow up in.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#11091 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:30 PM

Looking at America and what it has become, and what I see the UK doing its damnedest to follow gives me pause on the thoughts of having kids

#11092 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:37 PM

Im actually very curious about voter turnout out levels this year.

I remember my Roomate in nyc, was deeply angered around the BLM protests this year. He was very angry oat the police, at the politics and was very vocal. I made a comment about he should make sure to vote and we were even starting to get mail about absentee ballots. He told me he had never voted and wasn’t sure he thought it mattered.

I was flabbergasted. Even if you believe voting joe won’t magically change the world to be the utopia you imagine. Surely it’s better to get joe over Biden and than keep fighting for change. Rather than get trump and fight to survive.

I’m waiting to see if we get massive voter turn out but I somehow doubt it also.

#11093 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:22 AM

View Postamphibian, on 22 September 2020 - 10:31 PM, said:

Romney probably is pro choice personally, but that doesn't matter here because what he's doing is going along with the power machine led by McConnell that has as its default an anti-abortion, anti-women stance that mostly hurts women who aren't cis white and have the spending money and jobs that can support a long travel for what they need.

The individual men may not care that much about abortion and controlling women that way, but the mega donors do because so many of them like the DeVos family, the Adelson family, the Koch family, and so on are weird religious nutsos who care intensely about this. So the machine cares and they do this crap over and over.

Romney has one of the safest seats in the country and he's got no spine to stand up for what he believes in.

Romney has flipped on abortion since his presidential run, at least publicly. No idea what he thinks personally. But, he is pro-business and against EPA regulation and Frank-Dodd. A more conservative court will erode worker protections, continue to weaken unions and water down environmental and economic regulations, which he is in favour of.

#11094 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:18 AM

Romney was pro-choice when he was running for governor in Massachusetts. His personal beliefs are likely pro-life, and it's also what voters in Utah expect him to be. They weren't very keen on Trump overall, though, so he had a bit more freedom there (though he has gotten a lot of flak for his impeachment vote back home).

I've said this in this thread before, but I wrote in Elizabeth Warren in 2016. I wouldn't say I regret it because my vote never mattered; Illinois is a very, very blue state and it was never going to go for Trump. I said at the time that I would have voted for Hillary if I lived in anything resembling a swing state.

This year (in two days, actually) I'm voting for Biden because every vote matters when Trump has the reins of power and is using every authority he can convince himself he has to sabotage the election.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#11095 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostTerez, on 23 September 2020 - 01:18 AM, said:

Romney was pro-choice when he was running for governor in Massachusetts. His personal beliefs are likely pro-life, and it's also what voters in Utah expect him to be. They weren't very keen on Trump overall, though, so he had a bit more freedom there (though he has gotten a lot of flak for his impeachment vote back home).

I've said this in this thread before, but I wrote in Elizabeth Warren in 2016. I wouldn't say I regret it because my vote never mattered; Illinois is a very, very blue state and it was never going to go for Trump. I said at the time that I would have voted for Hillary if I lived in anything resembling a swing state.

This year (in two days, actually) I'm voting for Biden because every vote matters when Trump has the reins of power and is using every authority he can convince himself he has to sabotage the election.

Same in Illinois, but I voted for Johnson.

Biden Biden Biden
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11096 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:39 AM

While I understand the reasons behind not voting for Clinton or Biden or whoever the fuck because you genuinely prefer someone else (more liberal). The system needs to be EXPOSED at the highest possible level to receive change to get rid of the Electoral fucking College.

10,000,000+ more votes for a candidate that is not president is something that might need to happen to get rid of the crusty piece of shit. The United States of America is nowhere near fucking the same level of independent sovereign states as exisied in 1787. The indidivudal sovereignty of states is nowhere near as high as it was then. This has already been updated in the Constitution in several ways!

1. Direct votes for senators via individual voters.
2. The incorporation of all national liberties into states via the 14th Amendment.
3. The Civil fucking War.

This country's, and god knows I'll talk about it ad nauseum and support it because there's generally no other safe way to do it, incremental dragging of its collective self into modern behavior is so blatant when it comes to this shit.

We want to live in the 21st century and act like 21st century people and we still fucking pretend the Redcoats are going to come into the town square tomorrow and quarter some fucking troops in our houses so our state militias (ahem) can line up their AR-15s and hummer tanks and go mow down some people protesting for the right to marry whoever the fuck they want because all this makes sense!

Edit: Holy shit. Pass the tylenol.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 23 September 2020 - 02:42 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11097 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

Can someone tell me that this result in Venezuela ISN'T also the plan of Trump, McConnell, Barr et al.?

Like reading this feels like it's the same as what's happening in the States, just a few chapters earlier in the Coup Book.

Like this sounds EXACTLY what's happening in the US to the Judicial branch and SCOTUS.

https://www.vox.com/...me-court-crisis

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11098 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:28 PM

Trump admitted in an interview that they need 9 justices on the court again because theirs gonna be a rigged election. He won’t set down. If it wins by a small amount it was voter fraud by a few illegals. If he loses by a lot that’s even more evidence of fake ballots.

#11099 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

View PostCause, on 23 September 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

Trump admitted in an interview that they need 9 justices on the court again because theirs gonna be a rigged election. He won’t set down. If it wins by a small amount it was voter fraud by a few illegals. If he loses by a lot that’s even more evidence of fake ballots.

I mean SCOTUS already screwed the States when Bush VS Gore happened...

And here is CURRENT Trump pick SCOTUS member Brett "I like Beer" Kav...back in 2000 waxing Republican about the Bush VS Gore case...

https://www.cnn.com/...bush-v-gore.cnn

In case anyone was unaware of why the Court being stacked with GOP sycophants matters with regards to the election.

#11100 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:32 PM

I put a clothespin on my nose and voted for Hillary. She was far from ideal, but I knew Trump would be profoundly damaging to America. That is clear if you were even vaguely aware of Trump's public life and the criminal line he tap danced on, for decades. And yeah, you also didn't pay attention to the bullshit he was pulling during the run-up to the 2016 election. Suggestion: stop using FB starting now until after the election.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users