• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 Questions with a forum member - Shinrei An interview with the interviewer

#1 User is offline   Lizradusa 

• A Flare Unholiest
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

PEN decided it would be nice to have Shinrei answering some questions instead of always asking them. Enjoy.

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?
It was November or December of 2002, my first year in Japan, when an American in the same apartment building loaned me Gardens of the Moon. There were 3 Americans there in that apartment building, including me, so as we read the books and discussed our theories together.

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?
The discussions we had about the books were interesting, but we were hoping for some other possible answers to some of the more puzzling points of the series, so a couple of us ended up on the forums. (Look up the username kage-za, he’s the guy who introduced the books to me).

3) Are you a member of many other forums?
I’m a member of a couple of Japan information forums, but this is the only book forum I’m a part of. And the amount of participation isn’t even comparable, I spend much more time on Malazan.

4) Do you remember your first post here? What was it and who responded?
Yes, I asked a question about ascension and Anomander and Shadow made me feel foolish. It was a slightly scarier place for noobs back in 2003. (Gothos was a grumpy old sod, even when he wasn’t old). RodeoRanch always welcomed everybody though.

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?
I love a lot of members on here. Some I miss (Fooler, Malarion, Fist Gamet). Some who I’ve met (HD, Tapper, Vengeance, Amphibian, SlowBen, Obdi). Fellow mafia players are wonderful people one and all. Special mention to the “painfully eager newbies” who have gently pushed me to get the 20 Q’s going again.

6) Are there any forum members who are "lost in the warrens" that you miss?
See above. I should also mention Marduk/Wiggles though – that connection was…special. The Admins don’t miss him though.

7) What other fantasy series would you list as a favorite alongside Malazan?
I like G.R.R.M. a lot. That’s the only one that comes close for me (but not quite as good). The book I’m most anticipating these days though, is the next one in Patrick Rothfuss’ “The Name of the Wind” series.

8) If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?
Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are my favorites, but because I find Memories of Ice sincerely uplifting I think that would be better company on a desert island.

9) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?
“Will you come play mafia with us?” (Just kidding). I don’t know, maybe something along the lines about how he feels his writing developed as he completed each book, as in, how different was the process of writing as he progressed from GotM to HoC to TtH to TCG.

10) Do you drink? If so, what is your drink of choice?
Yes, I drink. The majority of the time it will be beer or red wine. Occasionally whiskey, sake and shochu. I prefer Italian and Spanish wines, with a soft spot for Chilean. I pretty much like any kind of beer and I drink my whiskey neat or on the rocks.

11) What members have you met in real life and which ones would you particularly like to meet in the future?
I’ve been to one meet up in Chicago, where Vengeance played a marvelous host to me, HD, SlowBen, Tapper, Amphibian, Obdigore and their significant others. (Tapper and SlowBen became significant others that night, at least in terms of lifting and carrying).
I would love love love to make a meeting in the UK and meet that crew. To get a good variety of countries represented, RodeoRanch, Morgoth, Sombra and dibs would be near the top of the list as well. Apt and Abyss of course, if they really exist… Anyone who finds themselves coming to Japan, you're welcome to PM me and if I'm free I'd be happy to meet up.

12) Who is you favorite character from the series?
I hate to be obvious, but seriously, is there anyone more awesome than Anomander Rake?

13) Who wins?
Steven Erikson.

14) What was your first mafia game and what role did you have? What was your favorite?
My first mafia was Ment’s Vampire game. I was a late addition and I had a town role where my ‘ability’ was to be lynched with one less vote than necessary for anyone else… My favorite game? That’s too hard to choose. Mistborn, the Benses, and D’reks RoTK series are the first ones to come to mind. And whichever game it was where dibs was my symp, betrayed me when recruited by the cult, and then I ended up joining the cult too and winning anyways. Team Fortress and the Jihad mini’s are my single most embarrassing games because I singlehandedly lost them both for my team.

15) You spend a lot of time in both America and Japan. Which do you prefer, and why?
There are plenty of good aspects about both places. There are three things that I really miss about the US when I’m in Japan. I miss the open spaces and easy access to doing stuff outside and being able to go shopping, go driving or do just about anything without having to fight a crowd. I miss my family. And I miss cheap pizza and Mexican food.
There are several advantages about Japan however. I like how I feel safe at just about any time. I can go out drinking with co-workers and not worry about any drunken violence or being waylaid on my way home. My wife can go out at night with her friends, and I don’t worry about anything happening there either. I love the hiking in the mountains, because I come from a very flat area of the US. I love cheap Japanese food. Tokyo is always a lot of fun to visit, and travel throughout this country in general is fascinating. Probably most important, is the schoolgirls uniforms, is the fact I love my work here, and I have trouble imagining myself enjoying any job I could get in the US half as much as I like my work/career here.

16) Along with Tapper, you are notorious for being mistaken as a woman. Can you think of any specific examples that were extremely awkward or hilarious?
Besides Sombra e-stalking me? Not really, just a couple of “oops” moments for some people.

17) So, what exactly are you doing with your life?
I teach compulsory English courses as well as speech/presentation and debate* (go figure) at a university. My spare time is mostly wasting time online and running.
*My students are supposed to be expressing their views and learning how to do it effectively in English, I keep my personal opinions out of my classroom. (Hears a collective sigh from the forumites.)

18) What are your music preferences? Do you play an instrument?
I play cello, piano and shamisen. I was originally going to be a music teacher - in fact my BA is in Music Education. As a non-snob, I love pretty much any kind of music.

19) Do you do any creative writing yourself?
I’ve always wanted to. I have some ideas, and I have even put up some samples in the writing forum (long ago). Maybe someday, when I don’t waste my spare hours playing mafia….

20) Please share one random interesting fact about yourself.
I’m almost always happy/content. My co-workers comment that I’m always in a good mood. I can’t stay angry or upset for very long – my temper is very short lived. I tend to be continually caught up in how wonderful and fascinating this world is, even the stuff that annoys me.
At times in my life I have stressed out over decisions such as which college to attend, or which job to take, or where I should live, and I’ve either always been lucky with my choice, or the simple truth is I’m capable of being happy just about anywhere.
Posted Image 'Tired of Wasting Time, Let LizInc organize your lazyness!' - Obdigore Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

nice interview.

wrt to your mafia role--you also had a 1 -shot BP, and you couldn't be FM-ed, since you were a Nosferatu. that role had SOME positives.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Indeed nice interview! Nice to learn more about Shinrei. Stuff I didn't know.

Oh and I'll be coming on holiday to Japan in the next year or two at some point. I'll take you up on getting together sir.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

I greatly admired Shinrei's shirt at the meet-up. It was a pastel blue that perfectly brought out his Frenchness. Just screamed baguettes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Awesome answers Shin!

SE playing mafia here... *mind explodes*

#6 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

lynch SE for excessive roleplaying
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

To sum up... Shinrei = Big In Japan.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 January 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

To sum up... Shinrei = Big In Japan.

any caucassian would be! /stereotypes
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

Great idea and good job!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#10 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Indeed, and kudos to the PEN crew for revitalizing the 20Q
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImageThis is a shamisen, btw.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by JLV: 09 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

#12 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

It's strange. I never knew what you were actually doing in Japan, Shin.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#13 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Well, being all "Yay! 20 questions time!" is part of the eagerness bit, I would think.

I wish I was going to Japan.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 09 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Aw man, if I knew this was happening I would have submitted a question. Now I will never get the chance.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

View Postworrywort, on 09 January 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Aw man, if I knew this was happening I would have submitted a question. Now I will never get the chance.

Awe ^_^

Maybe if you ask it now he'll answer it!

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

Nope, can't, never means never.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

View Postworrywort, on 09 January 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Nope, can't, never means never.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  never.jpg (12.38K)
    Number of downloads: 0

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Apologies to StoneMonkey, I didn't want to steal his thunder, but I thought it'd be rude to refuse PEN's request.

And in answer to Morgy, all I've really been doing in Japan is waiting for him to visit. ^_^
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#19 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

What's PEN?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#20 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

Painfully Eager Newbies.

AKA Attention Who---- erm, Seekers.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users