Malazan Empire: 20 Questions with a Forum Member - Stone Monkey - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 Questions with a Forum Member - Stone Monkey With brass balls? You decide.

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Here it is, the long awaited, next installment of 20 Questions! This time it's a well known and well connected member. But for those of you who have not met him, here's Stone Monkey.

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?
I read a rather glowing review, by JV Jones of all people, of GotM in the UK sf magazine SFX... It took me a while to get around to actually buying it because I'm terminally indecisive.

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?
Googling...As I've said before, I joined in a bit of a rush of fanboyish glee and stayed for the people.

3) Are you a member of many other forums?
Just the one. It's a forum called I Love Everything, which is about as random as it sounds...

4) Do you remember your first posthere? What was it and who responded?
Knowing me my first post was probably on the Other Literature forum – I really don't remember all that much about it as it was quite a long time ago. I joined back in 2003 using what was probably a steam powered computer that issued packets by carrier pigeon. I don't think that makes me the eldest of we antediluvians, but I'm up there in thetop 10%, I think.

5)Which members do you feel a special connection with?

I suspect it's probably moderately well known that there is one particular member with whom I feel a very special connection. There's also the Manchester crowd (past and present) Cougar, Mezla, Broody,IH, Fid and not forgetting our very own Grumble... I also get on very well with Morgy and Rodeo (who attended a Manky meet way back when).And there are our lovely hosts Hetan and Mal who are simply beautiful people.

6)Which monkey best describes you – see no evil, hear no evil, orspeak no evil? Why?
Speakno evil is probably me – mainly because I rarely have a bad thingto say about anyone.

7) What fantasy series would be yoursecond choice behind (obviously) MbotF?
LotR...which would actually be my first choice tbh.

8) Ever had aquavit? Why or why not?
LOLMorgy put you up to this, didn't he? I have had aquavit... And that'sunlikely to happen again; my liver still aches.

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life (who you have not met previously)?
Theobvious answer is Abyss... So I'll say Apt...

10) Any pets?Why monkeys? Why stone?
As I suspect anyone who knows me personally will say, I can barely look after myself, let alone anything else; so no pets. The subtext of this question would seem to be: Where did my user name come from?That's a fairly easy one to answer – the character from JourneyTo The West (or more accurately, the classic tv show of my youth Monkey).

11)If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?
Deadhouse Gates by a mile.

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?
I've actually met him four or five times now, so I've already asked him all the questions I want. I guess I'll have to wrack my brains for something sensible to ask him the next time I bump into him

13)Who is you favorite character from the series?
That's a hard one – I don't think I have a favourite character. At a push I'd say Quick Ben – ironically enough, more than one member (all of whom are far too kind) has told me that I look like how they imagine him; which is odd, because I don't look all that much like the way he's described.

14) What is one thing you own that you cannot live without?
Currently I'd say it was my mobile phone – for entirely practical reasons. Although I'm quite appalling at taking the blasted thing along with me when I leave the house...

15) Who wins?
Charlie Sheen thought he was winning for a while; but I think he was probably mistaken.

16)If you had to move from your home country, where would you most liketo find yourself a home?

I shall decline to answer that one, despite the fact that my actualanswer to the question is probably a bit obvious... The glib answerwould be anywhere where it rains less than it does here inManchester; which would only exclude tropical rainforests and Indiaduring the monsoon season... I'm actually surprised that we native Mancunians haven't evolved webbed feet yet.

17)Do you do any creative writing yourself?

Ihave done. And I may do again. Although I'm self aware enough to knowthat I'm nowhere near as good at it as I'd like to be.

18)When not reading MBotF, what are you typically curling up with?

Mysingle favourite book is probably my rather battered edition of JorgeLuis Borges' CollectedFictions.I'm also to be found reading InfiniteJestby David Foster Wallace on a fairly regular basis. Otherwise I'msomething of an sf reader, but I will read pretty much anything thatgrabs my fancy, whatever genre.

19) Do you keep a personal library, or do the books just cycle through your possession?
I own way too many books and there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY ON EARTH that any of them are leaving my possession. The last time I counted (which was a few years ago) I had over 2000. I have what you might call an horrendous book buying habit, so that must have gone up by at least two or three hundred in the intervening years.

20) Please bare one random little known fact about yourself for the peanut gallery please.
The most pointless fact about myself that I can think of is that I cannot ride a bicycle, I just never got around to learning. And I have a truly awful sense of balance, so I'm amazed that I've even managed to master walking upright.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Good questions. Bravo!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Can't ride a bike?
Seriously?
Best random fact since the failed rap career of hd or rly (I forget which)

#4 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hmmm, I had always thought he was on here before me.

I see we have the same views on keeping our books. Damn fucking straight!

Ah well, I'm sure I'll get to meet the wise monkey one of these days when I'm next in Pomgolia ... if he's up for the challenge? :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Akevitt (Aquavit) is a glorious drink made for gods amongst men!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 January 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

This is the fucking deranged berserker Viking nutjob showing through in your genetics. :D
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

That speak no evil answer is kinda bittersweet, in a missed opportunity kind of way. You're probably the smartest dude on an international board full of geeks. You could dominate them, subjugate them, and send them forth to do your bidding worldwide.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postworrywort, on 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

You could dominate them, subjugate them, and send them forth to do your bidding worldwide.

Ppppfffft, all he needs for that is tits. Not moobs, mind. :D

This post has been edited by Sombra: 04 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

View Postworrywort, on 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

That speak no evil answer is kinda bittersweet, in a missed opportunity kind of way. You're probably the smartest dude on an international board full of geeks. You could dominate them, subjugate them, and send them forth to do your bidding worldwide.

^^indeed this. More often than not SM's answers to posts are as clever as they get. Minions they'd be, minions!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostShinrei, on 04 January 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

...I'm actually surprised that we native Mancunians haven't evolved webbed feet yet. ...

Oh please... give Cthulhu a little more credit than that, especially after that mess at Innsmouth...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

View PostSombra, on 04 January 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 04 January 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

This is the fucking deranged berserker Viking nutjob showing through in your genetics. ;)

The world is never so clear, so pure, as when you feel the tidal wave of berserker rage carry you to the gods.

#12 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good one! As usually!
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Please. Akvavit (snaps) is what you have for breakfast here in Denmark. If you want to taste the real nectar of the gods you want to go for Honingsyp. Honey and Snaps distilled into pure gold. Getting drunk never tasted so good.

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 January 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Can't ride a bike?
Seriously?
Best random fact since the failed rap career of hd or rly (I forget which)

That'd be me.

Nice interview!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#15 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Great stuff! It was awesome meeting stone monkey in Manchester. I was hammered drunk for most of it!

#16 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the compliments people... You are all, as usual, far too kind.

Although I should point out at this juncture that my plans for world domination actually involve armies of giant robots... And trained cyborg lobsters with lasers on their eyestalks and chainsaws for claws... I suspect that a worldwide army of geeky minions might come in handy though, I shall factor that into my plans for the Second Wave.

Kudos to Shin for engaging in this task.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostShinrei, on 04 January 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

5)Which members do you feel a special connection with?

I suspect it's probably moderately well known that there is one particular member with whom I feel a very special connection.

Oh stonky, you shouldn't have!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#18 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

It had to be said sooner or later. The bond is just too strong... ;)
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think the medical term is a "tight psychological grip".

#20 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

The bond is practically covalent ;)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users