Malazan Empire: Question...so who was the creature in Paliss.... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question...so who was the creature in Paliss.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   whiskeydut 

• Sapper
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

in the castle trapped in the sarcophagus with spikes running through him to restrain him? The one who could speak with Ussu through telepathy and could sense Greymayne's return? Ussu called him 'Cherghem'. I kept waiting to find out the prisoner Cherghem's relevance but it never seemed to come, unless I missed it completely.

TIA

-whiskeydut

This post has been edited by whiskeydut: 29 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

We don't know.

It has to be something that is not killed by normal damage. Meaning it is not mortal. It displays telepathy, something we've only seen gods and demons use I think, all though Mocra wielders could probably do it as well. And it can sense power over great distances. Maybe even has premonitions.

Personally I think it is some kind of demon nut it could be an Ascendant we haven't met or a very powerful Jaghut, a la a Tyrant.

#3 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

View Postwhiskeydut, on 29 November 2011 - 01:07 AM, said:

in the castle trapped in the sarcophagus with spikes running through him to restrain him? The one who could speak with Ussu through telepathy and could sense Greymayne's return? Ussu called him 'Cherghem'. I kept waiting to find out the prisoner Cherghem's relevance but it never seemed to come, unless I missed it completely.

TIA

-whiskeydut

You didnt miss anything its not mentioned again. Its also not mentioned what kind of creature it is, how it got there any info at all really. It just serves to provide information then isnt mentioned again.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

It's one of those fascinating tidbits of background/history that SE and ICE throw in that remind the reader that there is always more going on in the world than we see in the story.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   relek nom 

• Recruit

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 November 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

It's one of those fascinating tidbits of background/history that SE and ICE throw in that remind the reader that there is always more going on in the world than we see in the story.

sorry to necro this topic but i have a theory about this.

we know the lady uses a part of the crippled god, as the storm guard were wiped out by Skinner and crew to get the fragment. also kyle and others go to the cave complex to get rid of the last piece by throwing it to the sea.

in the book the overlord asked can she(the lady) sence the prescence of the creture in the coffin....... its not inconsevisable that is is the Crippled God or a fragment of him. and this may be why the lady could sence it

also in the end of tCG we do not know what happened to him, could it be possable that the Rope & Shadowtrone interned him there?
Look not to Yesterday and think not of the enemies defeated,
But look to tomorrow and study the enemies yet to come.......

#6 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

I would think it has to be a part of the CG, or have something to do with..

In any event, the mention of the horrid Ussu reminds me that, reading the part near the end when he has Bars and is trying to break into his chest nearly made me puke. Great writing, and I'm very squeamish about that kind of thing. But all of those scenes like that really did a number on me, and that final one, I was on a public bus reading it, I'm glad I held it, but I broke out in a cold sweat. Ick-- :laughing:/>

#7 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostLousy, on 11 July 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

I would think it has to be a part of the CG, or have something to do with..

In any event, the mention of the horrid Ussu reminds me that, reading the part near the end when he has Bars and is trying to break into his chest nearly made me puke. Great writing, and I'm very squeamish about that kind of thing. But all of those scenes like that really did a number on me, and that final one, I was on a public bus reading it, I'm glad I held it, but I broke out in a cold sweat. Ick-- ;)/>

Just finished SW for the first time - and all those scenes had much the same effect on me. As you say, it's a mark of the strength of the writing so I can't complain too much...
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users