Malazan Empire: E.E. Knight (Vampire Earth) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E.E. Knight (Vampire Earth) No, it's not twilight.

#1 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has ever read the "Vampire Earth" series by E.E. Knight. I really need an opinion on this, I may be crazy.

I just looked up the series on Wikipedia and the plot summary is terrible, so let me try, briefly.

It's Earth. Alien type guys came here a long time ago, secretly. They infiltrated the government and whatnot. At some point they overthrew the humans, and now are in control. They control "reapers" via a telepathic link. Through their reapers, they drain vital aura (a soul of sorts) from humans in order to prolong their life, effectively achieving immortality. The story follows David Valentine and his adventures to get rid of the Aliens.

Wow, that was terrible. Now I feel bad insulting the Wikipedia summary.

I like the characters, and there are some genuinely heart-wrenching moments that I usually don't get from small-book fantasy such as this (Is that the proper term? <_<).

Recently, I read the first Dresden book. Holy damn was it amazing. Very easy read, very good read.

As far as the first book is concerned, I found I enjoyed the two series in a very similar way. Lots of HOLY SHIT THAT'S BADASS and very little of me putting the book down. I want to hear from people who have read both series, and their opinions on them. Am I crazy for thinking they have similar entertainment value? Is it bad to put vampire earth on the same level as beloved Dresden?

If no one has read it, maybe you could pick it up from the library? They're quite short.

I guess I'll go ramble somewhere else now.

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

Here is the problem. The first 2-3 Dresden books are about 30-40% as amazing as the rest of the series.

But no I have not read it so I cannot comment on it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:39 AM

I might actually use the library for the first time in years. Dresden books are 9.99 here. (Deadhouse Gates is 5.99). Or I'll wait until Christmas.

#4 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

Read them up to the lastest. Went on a binge at the local used book store.

If you can get them cheap, sure, they're fun. You won't tear your eyes out. That's... uh... about all I can say, though.

Although, it takes a few twists (Valentines Exile, where he's p. much Fucked from there on out) after more than a few books makes it interesting, though.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Faves are a subjective thing. I tried the first Vamp Earth book, didn't love it, laid it aside. I keep seeing the series in various2nd hand stores but i haven't been driven to pick it up.

I'm a die-hard 'pre-order it in hardcover yesterday' dresdencrack addict, so i can't draw any analogy to a series i love almost as much/more as Malazan.

If a few forumites care to chime in re what they like about it, i'm prepared to be convinced. EE Knight's been at it a while and i remain curious, so i may give it another chance.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

I think the series gets better as it goes on, the middle books being especially entertaining.

I like the character far more after the first book where he's learning to be badass.

I don't think it's a particularly popular series, I've never met anyone who has read them outside of my brother.

#7 User is offline   hnoor0033 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

I tried the first Vamp Earth book, didn't love it, laid it aside. I keep seeing the series in various2nd hand stores but i haven't been driven to pick it up. === solitaire champ - free solitaire card games ===

This post has been edited by hnoor0033: 15 February 2016 - 05:44 AM

#8 User is offline   marie 

• Recruit

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:33 AM

Faves are a subjective thing. I tried the first Vamp Earth book, didn't love it, laid it aside. I keep seeing the series in various2nd hand stores but i haven't been driven to pick it up.<br style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);"><br style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">I'm a die-hard 'pre-order it in hardcover yesterday' dresdencrack addict, so i can't draw any analogy to a series i love almost as much/more as Malazan. <br style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);"><br style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19.5px; background-color: rgb(34, 34, 34);">If a few forumites care to chime in re what they like about it, i'm prepared to be convinced. EE Knight's been at it a while and i remain curious, so i may give it another chance.

Thanks for sharing this topic.

== Solitairechamp - Download Free Klondike Card Game Online ==

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

That has the ring of truth.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users