Malazan Empire: Just started Ghost Story... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just started Ghost Story... ....And wtf?

#1 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

Right so the vibe is it's more awesome Dresden crack but the idea of 10 or so more books of him running around as a spirit is just (insert rant here). Long story short, my brain just says no. Even if I try to tackle it from the view point of 'He's such a badass you can't even stop him in death, man!' ... still, no. I realize he was fucked. Completely, totally, unconditionally, no lube--add sand--donkey punch fucked, and death is one way to get him out of his current situation, but still, no. He's dead. He was the only view point. It was tragic. Uh, he's dead. Story is just over in my mind and there is no way for me to get around it - it's just tragedy drawn out for, well, 10 or so more books. Even if he had to die to become more powerful to stop whatever the hell is going on and he could only do it as a spirit and it was clever and all the rest of the books are more awesome Dresden crack... still no goddammit that's lame. I could get into it if the books started out with him dead as a spirit, but to come as far as it did and kill off the only POV character... If he doesn't come back to life, and even that would be cheesy, I don't think I could enjoy the rest of the books, as crazy as that may sound. Fuck it, I'm crazy.

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean without this turning into a few pages, and nobody really cares so - I just have one question - Is there a point at which he becomes not-dead? Or at last a hint that he may very well be cured from his current ailment back into the world of the living?

I didn't read Abyss's review, or any review, because I don't want spoilers, even though answering my question may seem like a spoiler, to me it isn't. I'm more interested in the 'how does it happen' than the 'does it happen'. If he doesn't come back to life ill like it better if I just call Changes the end and be all 'Fuck it, they lost.'

So please answer only with yes, no, or don't know yet. Thanks.
...I'm not the best with heights, Sergent.
You live in a damned tower!
It's... expected of me. Isn't it?...

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

You'll have some finality to your question by the end of this book. It's satisfying. Read it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

Fair enough.
Thank you.

#4 User is offline   weaverbird05 

• Corporal

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

Trust in Butcher - I was hesitant at first as well, but it works.

#5 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:26 PM

How do you get to Ghost Story and not trust in Butcher? Did that assassination in Changes really jar you that much?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

How do you make a thread like this when you only just started the book?

Dude, just read the damned book...then open the maw.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 30 September 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

How do you get to Ghost Story and not trust in Butcher? Did that assassination in Changes really jar you that much?

When you say 'trust in Butcher' that can be take a few different ways. I trust Ghost Story is a good book if thats what you mean. I wasn't jarred by anything in these books - remember we're on the Malazan forum :harhar: By assassination I assume Harry. Harry who stays dead and goes through the rest of the books as a spirit isn't interesting to me. Harry who comes back to life somewhere to finish the books not dead holds more interest for me.

Worryworts short comment was enough to get me trudge the rest of the book, I'd just enjoy it more if I knew he would be brought back to life.

I guess if I've learned anything, if I was aspected, it would be life.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

You've read like 12 books in this series already.
Give the author a chance. He doesn't dissappoint.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   majomull 

• Gallowglass

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

I just finished Ghost Story this weekend, and I admit I was a little skeptical as to where the story was going to take the series. But after the last page I was very satisfied with the outcome and am looking forward to the next "phase" of Harry's existence.
Glittering Stone

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

(Mild spoilers for the end of Ghost Story)

Spoiler

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

I see what you did there.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

About halfway through the book it really picks up. Harry has had enough with the whole being dead thing and goes and find his mother's ghost.

I couldn't believe my eyes, there she was in the flesh, or not so flesh. Finally, I would get to talk to her, ask her all those questions I had. But, before I could say anything she told him one thing.

"You’re movin’ with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air.”

I whistled for a cab and when it came near The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror If anything I could say that this cab was rare But I thought, “Nah, forget it. Yo home to Bel-Air!” I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 And I yelled to the cabby yo holmes smell ya later Looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

Seriously, I think you'll like the book. Butcher handles Harry being a ghost really well.

This post has been edited by acesn8s: 10 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#13 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:54 AM

Changes and Ghost Story are very much seques. Vampire war? Done. What's a spell-slingin' PI to do now?

Thus, new metaplot.

I just can't wait till the NEXT book. Goddamned dresdencrack. I've re-read books 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 in the last TWO DAYS, man. WTF.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users