Malazan Empire: The White Court and Christianity (minor spoilers up to White Night) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The White Court and Christianity (minor spoilers up to White Night) Why vampires totally killed Jesus

#1 User is offline   dawnkiller 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

Rambling speculation follows. Again, minor spoilers on the White Court up to White Night.

It all starts with this exchange between Thomas and Harry in Blood Rites:

"Love is patient. Love is kind. Love always forgives, trusts, supports, and endures. Love never fails. When every star in the heavens grows cold, and when silence lies once more on the face of the deep, three things will endure: faith, hope, and love."
"And the greatest of these is love. That's from the Bible."
"First Corinthians, chapter thirteen. I paraphrased. Father makes all of us memorize that passage. Like when parents put those green yucky-face stickers on the poisonous cleaning products under the kitchen sink." (Blood Rites p. 189)

Easy enough. We see the direct correlation between the three virtues and the three Swords:

Fidelacchius = Faith
Esperacchius = Hope
Amoracchius = Love

Now, consider what the respective Houses of the White Court om nom noms on:

Malvora = Fear
Skavis = Despair
Raith = Lust

Of all of these, we know love kills Raith's demon. By that logic, faith and hope would seem to similarly counter Malvora and Skavis. Interesting correlation, no?

Another fun fact: The language of the White Court is Etruscan, placing their point of origin around Italy before its assimilation into the Roman Empire. This timeline indicates the White Court precedes Christianity.

Now, I don't think the Swords themselves were made specifically to combat the White Court (they are specifically tools for combating the Fallen, though they've been shown to work against every strain of supernatural being); rather, I think the demons of the White Court represent threats to humanity that existed long before religion, and which most, if not all, of them address in their own way. The fact Christianity would be the most direct in addressing the evils heavily associated with the White Court makes sense, since it was a religion that came to be under the hand of the Roman Empire -- they're in relatively close cultural proximity. It would be logical that the Bible might also provide advice on how to counter the White Court as well as the more general spiritual threat their "demons" represent, much like Dracula taught people to counter the Black Court. Crecedence is leant by the fact Lord Raith specifically uses its passages as warnings to his offspring.

(Reading that back . . . I just compared the Bible to Dracula. This is a thing that is really happening.)

What's also potentially interesting is that Jesus supposedly performed several exorcisms, . I doubt those being expelled were White Court, since in a few cases people were possessed by multiple (the "I am legion" guy comes to mind), but if we're going to get really crazy . . . given the White Court's theoretical geographic connection with Rome, it may be that they had, if not a hand, then at least an interest in getting the guy out of the way. We're told different houses ascend in different eras, and while Raith is in power now I can easily see Skavis stirring the pot towards Crucifixion.

This post has been edited by dawnkiller: 12 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users