View PostSlow Ben, on 02 March 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

tiam said:

1330373375[/url]' post='935881']
Ive just got back from th gym

S- 5 x 5 90
OHP 5 x 5 65
DL 1 x 5 130
Pulls ups - 5 5 3 (dead hang wide grip)

While I will stick with SL 5 x 5 for a while I think might make a programme that is isolation based around compounds. Ill build up a decentish level of beginner strength first before I mov onto this but have a look and share you thoughts

SO Monday Chest and Triceps
Flat Bench 5 x 5
Dumbell Chest press 4 x 8
Dumbell Flies- 4 x 8
Incline bench 4 x 8
Dips- 3 x 10 (increase the weight with a chain belt)
Tricep rope extensions 4 x 8
Skulllcrushers 4 x 8

Wednesday Back and Biceps
DL 3 x 5 (only reason I do one set of DLs now is because its says so on Stronglifts because your core is taxd after squats)
BB Rows 5 x 5
Good mornings 4 x 8
Lat Pulldowns 4 x 8
Chin ups 3 x 10 (ill have to build upto this then use a chain belt)
EZ curl bar preacher curls 4 x 8
Hammer Curls 4 x 8

Friday Legs and shoulders
Squats 5 x 5
Leg press 4 x 8
Leg extensions 4 x 8
BB OHP 5 x 5
DB OHP 4 x 8 (not sure about putting these two together)
Front shoulder BB raises 4 x 8
Shrugs 4 x 8

Any thoughts ideas or anything for this?

SUBTLE NINJA EDIT- Also Coco I didnt lie to you Iv just weighed myself again :up:

The only thing I would change is your only working each muscle group once a week. That's 6 days rest for each. Usually you only want to rest that much for the very beginners.

Is there anything you would change then? I would consider myself a beginner for the hypertrophy side of training. Also triceps will be used for shoulders and other secondary muscle groups so its not like its that much rest.

havnt been onsite for a few days (I definitely havnt been lurking honest) so gym friday went

Stressful day+ wild ego = for teh lulz style training

Squats
supposed to be 5 x 5 92.5 was 90 x5 100 x 5 120 x 5 130 x 3
OHP 5x5 67.5 (getting difficult on press now)
DL 135 x 5, 150 x 1
Bench- 5 x 10 60KG

Im probably gonna start that adapted programme monday as my strength seems ok. Hopefully Slow Ben will get abck to me with advice

#162 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

I increased weight on my OHP on Friday. Up to 115lbs (52 kg). My shoulders still feel like death. I hope they're recovered for tomorrow's bench press.

#163 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 04 March 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 02 March 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

View Posttiam, on 27 February 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Ive just got back from th gym

S- 5 x 5 90
OHP 5 x 5 65
DL 1 x 5 130
Pulls ups - 5 5 3 (dead hang wide grip)

While I will stick with SL 5 x 5 for a while I think might make a programme that is isolation based around compounds. Ill build up a decentish level of beginner strength first before I mov onto this but have a look and share you thoughts

SO Monday Chest and Triceps
Flat Bench 5 x 5
Dumbell Chest press 4 x 8
Dumbell Flies- 4 x 8
Incline bench 4 x 8
Dips- 3 x 10 (increase the weight with a chain belt)
Tricep rope extensions 4 x 8
Skulllcrushers 4 x 8

Wednesday Back and Biceps
DL 3 x 5 (only reason I do one set of DLs now is because its says so on Stronglifts because your core is taxd after squats)
BB Rows 5 x 5
Good mornings 4 x 8
Lat Pulldowns 4 x 8
Chin ups 3 x 10 (ill have to build upto this then use a chain belt)
EZ curl bar preacher curls 4 x 8
Hammer Curls 4 x 8

Friday Legs and shoulders
Squats 5 x 5
Leg press 4 x 8
Leg extensions 4 x 8
BB OHP 5 x 5
DB OHP 4 x 8 (not sure about putting these two together)
Front shoulder BB raises 4 x 8
Shrugs 4 x 8

Any thoughts ideas or anything for this?

SUBTLE NINJA EDIT- Also Coco I didnt lie to you Iv just weighed myself again :up:

The only thing I would change is your only working each muscle group once a week. That's 6 days rest for each. Usually you only want to rest that much for the very beginners.

Is there anything you would change then? I would consider myself a beginner for the hypertrophy side of training. Also triceps will be used for shoulders and other secondary muscle groups so its not like its that much rest.

There really isn't anything wrong with your workout, the only reason it isn't ideal is because your muscles only rebuild for around 2-3 days depending on how hard your workout is, diet, age, etc., that leaves 3-4 days where they get little to no activity. But if your limited to 3 days a week there really isn't much you can do besides an upper body day, lower body day and total body day. It makes for longer days at the gym, but it is more beneficial. To make the workouts go faster I like to pair opposing muscle groups and do them back to back. For example, doing a set of bench, flipping over and doing a set of rows, rest.

IMO, the best thing you could do, if possible, is switch to 4 days a week. Doing the workout you have written out on Monday Tuesday Wednesday, taking Thursday off and doing a total body workout on Friday. Or whatever days.

What i do myself is Monday/Thursday is Upper Back/Shoulders/Biceps, Tuesday/Friday is Lower Back/Legs and Wednesday Saturday is Chest/Triceps on weeks i know i can get a workout in on Saturday. If its a tight week I can't get 6 workouts in i'll do the 4 days a week with one total body day.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#164 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Ofcourse I appreciate the advice but im going to stick with this for atleast 12 weeks and see how it goes. As I said Im a beginner when it comes to the hypertrophy side of things so ill see how bad the soreness etc is for recovery.

Thanks for replying

EDIT- JLV- get a tennis ball put it against your shoulder (rotator cuff or upper back whatevers sore) and place your weight on it and move it around. If you go on T-Nation theres an article on soft tissue work to relieve soreness. I mainly use it on my groin for getting rid of soreness tbh

This post has been edited by Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam: 04 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

#165 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

My bench is increasing so slowly compared to squat and DL. Urgh. On the plus side, dips are increasing greatly and now I need to add weights, seeing as I can do over 15 without failure.

Also, saw a DIFFERENT girl squating in the squat rack. We talked about weight lifting, and she knew what was up. Apparently the personal trainer of the gym, I didn't even know they had one. I also saw an old friend, someone I used to workout with a bit before he went of to college, and we talked for a while. Overall an awesome day at the gym.

#166 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

^^^ too much talking if you ask me ... :up:

Day 1 of the Tiam-tacular programme and im a noob for hypertrophy

Bench 90 5 x 5
DB Bench Press 30 4 x 8
Flies machine 87.5 4 x 8
Incline Bench 60 4 x 8
Dips 10, 7,6,7
Rope extensions 50 4 x 8
CLose grip and skullcrushers were N/A as my triceps were fatigued. I think as ill be trying to progress with the flat bench on a linear progression ill have to take close grip off. Skullcrushers were left as the gym filled up for tricep monday and I had no chance getting a bench.

Still pretty good

#167 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Fuck me that was the worst day at the gym I've had in a while. I struggled with every exercise, I couldn't finish any of them except Benchpress, and that was with shit ROM. I didn't even try deadlifting after my squat was so horrible, and I couldn't even crack out 5 dips when I usually do 15 x 3. I wonder what happened.

#168 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostJLV, on 09 March 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Fuck me that was the worst day at the gym I've had in a while. I struggled with every exercise, I couldn't finish any of them except Benchpress, and that was with shit ROM. I didn't even try deadlifting after my squat was so horrible, and I couldn't even crack out 5 dips when I usually do 15 x 3. I wonder what happened.

Probably not enough sleep or food in you.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#169 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

This

Could be any number of things. Ive been completely exhausted before the gym from work or whatever yet hit PRs and had days when ive felt full of energy thats crumpled as soon as ive started warming up.

Just one of those things, sleep, food, how your mind is etc.

I cba going the gym today to do legs and shoulders but im gonna go and go for a 5 x 5 OHP PR with 70. Doesnt matter if it doesnt happen aslong as im plugging away at it itll happen

#170 User is offline   KalamMekhar 

• Baconator of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

I havent posted on this forum in a while but recently been back on reading threads since i just finished DoD and TCG and had some questions.

Came across this one and found some very good info on this thread as i recently got back into goin to the gym.

Only going three days a week right now, hoping to go more once i get in a solid routine and put some muscle on, on the long and lanky side right now.

Day one: Chest/Triceps
Bench 3x12
Incline bench 3x12
Shoulder press 3x12
Tricep Extensions 3x12
Will get dips in here soon enough

Day two: Legs/Core
Leg press 3x12
Extensions 3x12
Hamstring curls 3x12
Calf Raises 3x12

Day three: Biceps/Back
Rows 3x12
Pull ups/Lat pull downs 3x12
Incline bicep curls 3x12
Machine bicep curls 3x12

Any feed back is welcome! Anyone watch the videos from the Hodge twins about weightlifting?
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

The Man, The Myth, The Manning

#171 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

To KalamMekhar:

Drop the reps, up the weight.

Drop the leg press, put in deadlifts and squats.

Stop doing all them curls. Do overhead presses and farmers walks.

Right now, you are on a gym buffoon workout regimen, which will give you uselessly large biceps and toothpick legs. Not real strength and without an amazingly dialed in diet, no six pack abs or the cut look you may believe looks good.

I'm grumpy, but you gotta change up some or all of the above.

#172 User is offline   KalamMekhar 

• Baconator of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback amp, i'll look at makin the changes you suggested and come back with a new lay out and see what you think.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

The Man, The Myth, The Manning

#173 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Look at Tiam's workout regimen above. It's modified Starting Strength. That's good stuff. Other people are doing similar or different good stuff too.

Or trawl back through the beginning of the thread, where I put my old regimen up. For a long while, I did that on top of jiu jitsu but had to give up the weights in order to fit school in. With my increased free time, I'll get back into the weights Monday.

Will be bitching about the pain and the stiffness that deads and squats bring alongside you then, if you're sticking around.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 10 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

#174 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Did lifts yesterday went as follows

Legs ad shouldrs
sq 5 x 5 100kg (easyish and I really dont see the point of doing anything else for legs tbh)
OHP 70 5 5 5 5 4 (first time ive stalled but its still the most ive ever done for that many reps atleast. Will get it next time)
Arnold Presses DB 20 4 x 8
front shoulder raises with a barebll 4 x 8

Im also going the gym now as im full of energy and will have tomorrow to recover with a big meal. Wont go too heavy today and wont have this opportunity when the weights get back to normal so im taking advantage of it now

#175 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Here's an interesting documentary on steroids. It dispels some myths and has some interesting insights.

The Science of Steroids Part 1-4

My link
My link
My link
My link

I found this segment interesting, all though more for the historical anecdotes than the actual science in the video.

I got a bit annoyed when out of a 50 minute programme, it is only during the last 5 minutes they touch on the essential part, that being steroid users who aren't athletes or wanna-be athletes.

Why tell me the horror stories of people who are using ridiculous amounts of steroids month after month for years and years, when these kinds of users have no relation to a guy who just wants to put on 20-30 pounds and be done with it.

Nothing in this piece really relates to your average steroid user. They only touch on extreme cases like professional bodybuilders who have been using steroids for a decade. It's like doing a documentary on drug use and only focusing on the addicts who have to get their fix several times a day to barely function. Of course you're going to get fucked up if you abuse anything. There lies the difference between use and abuse.

I would have liked to hear more about the physiological and psychological addiction that you some times hear about. Megarexia. Where people can't stop doing the drugs because their body and brain craves it.

The only thing I got out of this was that if I ever decide to start using steroids I should simply do the research, buy the right gear and post cycle meds and don't over do it. Which is basically what everyone who's ever googled steroids knew before hand.

Also why did they have to use a big fat old man as an example of a guy using steroids. I was disgusted by that guy. Stop taking steroids and get on a treadmill instead before you die of a heart attack.

#176 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostFriendly Neighbourhood Spider-tiam, on 04 March 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Ofcourse I appreciate the advice but im going to stick with this for atleast 12 weeks and see how it goes. As I said Im a beginner when it comes to the hypertrophy side of things so ill see how bad the soreness etc is for recovery.

Thanks for replying

EDIT- JLV- get a tennis ball put it against your shoulder (rotator cuff or upper back whatevers sore) and place your weight on it and move it around. If you go on T-Nation theres an article on soft tissue work to relieve soreness. I mainly use it on my groin for getting rid of soreness tbh

If you can only train 3 days a week, why would you do a 3-split program?

Change it to 3x fullbody, you will get much more out of it.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#177 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostKalamMekhar, on 10 March 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

I havent posted on this forum in a while but recently been back on reading threads since i just finished DoD and TCG and had some questions.

Came across this one and found some very good info on this thread as i recently got back into goin to the gym.

Only going three days a week right now, hoping to go more once i get in a solid routine and put some muscle on, on the long and lanky side right now.

Day one: Chest/Triceps
Bench 3x12
Incline bench 3x12
Shoulder press 3x12
Tricep Extensions 3x12
Will get dips in here soon enough

Day two: Legs/Core
Leg press 3x12
Extensions 3x12
Hamstring curls 3x12
Calf Raises 3x12

Day three: Biceps/Back
Rows 3x12
Pull ups/Lat pull downs 3x12
Incline bicep curls 3x12
Machine bicep curls 3x12

Any feed back is welcome! Anyone watch the videos from the Hodge twins about weightlifting?

Same as my last quote, if you only have 3 days a week to train, honestly I don't know why you would use a 3 split program which is normally used when you want to train 6 days a week. Your core musclegroups will get way too little stimuli.

If you are a beginner, i would recommend a focus on:

Benchpress
Squat
Deadlift
Any shoulder exercise you like
As much biceps and triceps as you want

And then basically do that 3 times a week to build up an initial fundament which can be used to further advance your body once you realize which direction you want to take.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

#178 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I have been doing full body workouts three times a week, if you look a few posts back. Ive just decided to change it up a bit and see how it goes

#179 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

But you will lose so much by changing to a 3split, when you only train 3 times a week. If you want to do a 3split, I would think you should at least train 6 times a week in order to ensure that your muscle groups get stimulated twice a week.

I can recommend doing a 2split in which you train 4 times a week if you want to change it up.

#180 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

What would you recommend?

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic