• You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#121 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

double post

Went the gym today and it went as followed

squat 5 x 5 70 (upped it by ten because it easy ill up by 10 until I hit 90 then use 2.5 increments. technique solid)
OHP 5 x 5 60 (surprising as ive always struggled with OHP and its always been around the 65-70 mark even when I was 2 stone heavier than I am now. strict military stance good technique touched upper chest etc.)
DL- 120 x 5 1RM 150 (did alot of warming up for this with increasing sets then did 120 for the 5 with relative ease. Decided to test some 1RM stuff so did 140 for 2 then the 150 for one. Technique seemed ok throughout)
Pull ups- 5 4 3 2 2 (very difficult doing wider grip pull ups. Im surprised I managed to get 5 out the first time. Strict technique no leg swinging gaining momentum etc)
gay stuff- Threw in some tricep work and some wire curls then did 3 x 5 with 80 on an incline bench. No reason but I felt I had some left in the tank, which will change when the squats and DLs go up. Ive also got 2 days to recover instead of one so it wont effect my recovery.

Another good workout and im surprised at my DL and OHP. i have 6 chicken drumsticks in the over and a 'family sized' steak pie for later. I have no idea who these pansy families are but me and 2 of my brothers have a combined weight of like 50 stone so not our family. Also ran into this big jamaican guy in the gym doing Stronglifts. He was a good lad though is using Stronglifts as more of a conditioning programme, keeping the weight as 60 and doing the reps as quick as. I gave him some pointers as he was squatting on the balls of his feet going forward and he seemed cool. Pushed him to go for the 120 DL and he did it with okay form.

Happy as fuck to be back training :Oops:

#122 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

This almost certainly isnt a triple post and am definitely, in no way at all, using this thread as a sort of training log and waiting for any tips from people.

Squat- 80 5 x 5
Bench- 82.5 5 x 5
BB rows - 62.5 5 x 5
Dips- 15, 12,9
Chin ups- 5 x 5
Some extra stuff like curls and that.

#123 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostJLV, on 27 January 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

I wonder if I can actually drink a gallon of milk..

Not really the same, but back in the good old days of copying jackass etc, me and a few freinds attempted the milk challenge, guzzling a gallon in 10 mins.
The resulting streams of regurgitated milk made for a great video. Especially 3 of us trying to all get it into a rubbish bin at the same time.

Made it in about 9.30 mins. It was actually quite pleasant to chuck something up that didn't burn like bile.

#124 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

I've been doing a half gallon a day, a gallon was too much really. The rest of my diet has been increased too, to make up for it.

I missed my workout today, but I'll go tomorrow/thurs/sat instead. Glad to see you're enjoying getting back into working out, Tiam.

I did a bit of walking today, maybe 6 miles. My hip flexors (sp?) are killing me. Anyone know the reason behind that? I'm sure they'll be fine by tomorrow, it's just annoying.

#125 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Just stiffness on the hip flexors. If your like me and many other on this site you spend alot of time sat down in computer chairs where your hip flexors tighten up. Many warm up sets with the bar for squats can help and also stretching when you get home from the gym for 15 mins. If you check the stronglifts site or 70sbig.com they have mobility stuff on there.

Glad to see you you getting on the milk, a half gallon is a good amount and a good start.

(also glad other people have commented so im not quadruple posting :p )

This post has been edited by tiam: 21 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

#126 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I just finished my workout for today, and decline situps really suck when your hip flexors are weird.

And I guess that would make sense, I just got back from a 5ish hour car ride last night.

#127 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

View Posttiam, on 21 February 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Just stiffness on the hip flexors. If your like me and many other on this site you spend alot of time sat down in computer chairs where your hip flexors tighten up. Many warm up sets with the bar for squats can help and also stretching when you get home from the gym for 15 mins. If you check the stronglifts site or 70sbig.com they have mobility stuff on there.

Glad to see you you getting on the milk, a half gallon is a good amount and a good start.

(also glad other people have commented so im not quadruple posting :p )

Try the hip-based stretches from this site. This guy is really good at getting the right movements in the right sequence to get you loose for athletic pursuits.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#128 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Workout ok today

Sq 5 x 5 85
OHP- 62.5 5 x 5
DL- 125 1 x 5
Pull ups 5 x 3 (may not seem like alot but I weigh 100 and they were dead hang, widegrip, no momentum. I used to struggle with pull ups so im gettin the technique right)
Extra gay tricep stuff because a few mates of mine were doing it

Still feels ok and the momentum to go is still there. It was pouring down and its a half an hour, very hilly walk to the gym so not so much fun in the rain. Anyway I still went and was rewarded by a quiet gym as no one else was there for a while.

#129 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

gay triceps? I love working those angels!

My latest training:

3x8 80kg squat
3x6 90kg benchpress
3x6 120 DL

Those were the mains, then i did a lot of extra exercises on the biceps, triceps, shoulders, back and then 10 min running

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#130 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

thats what I mean. Gay tricep stuff is like when you put down your compound lifts then add in isolation exercises but just brush what you did under the table.

EDIT- Im gonna continue on this programme until my strength gets to a respectable beginner level again then maybe switch it to a standard isolation split centred around compound movements.

SO back and Biceps would be centred around BB rows, DL and pulls up, chest and triceps around Bench and dips and Shoulders and legs centred around OHP and squats. I thik its because ive followed solely strength stuff for so long id like a switch

This post has been edited by tiam: 23 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

#131 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I can really feel my cutting starting to affect my strenght now.

Bulked up to 82 kg from 72 throughout last year, and since late december I started cutting. I am now down to 74 approx and pretty lean. Feels good, but those last 2-3 kgs are freaking hard to get rid off. And it is so annoying to see your strenght become diminished as you cut further and further.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

#132 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Wait. You're trying to reach the weight you had last year, after a year of bulking? That's not how it is supposed to work. You should have packed on more muscle than you had last year. Unless of course you were all flabby at 72 the year before.

#133 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

View Posttiam, on 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

thats what I mean. Gay tricep stuff is like when you put down your compound lifts then add in isolation exercises but just brush what you did under the table.

I'm confused as to what you mean by this. Are you saying, for example, doing triceps extensions after doing bench is bad? How is that negatively affecting your bench?

When you bench, you are using mostly your pecs. Your triceps ASSIST in the move, they aren't the prime mover. To seriously work your triceps you have do isolation lifts with them. Otherwise you aren't working them enough.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#134 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostAptorius, on 23 February 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Wait. You're trying to reach the weight you had last year, after a year of bulking? That's not how it is supposed to work. You should have packed on more muscle than you had last year. Unless of course you were all flabby at 72 the year before.

I definetely packed on a lot of muscle throughout bulking last year. And although I'll probably reach the same weight, it will be quite glorious. I'm only 174 high so it is actually quite the bodymass for this size :)

#135 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 23 February 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

View Posttiam, on 23 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

I'm confused as to what you mean by this. Are you saying, for example, doing triceps extensions after doing bench is bad? How is that negatively affecting your bench?

When you bench, you are using mostly your pecs. Your triceps ASSIST in the move, they aren't the prime mover. To seriously work your triceps you have do isolation lifts with them. Otherwise you aren't working them enough.

If youread my comment I say that I did a load of gay stuff like triceps etc. Sindriss replies that he loves hitting his triceps (working those angels as he says :) ) but only mentions his 3 main lifts while simply acknowledging he did 'some' extra stuff with cardio.

I was just saying that things like tricep extensions were an add on as he didnt put down the actual weight of them, rep schemes etc. So there just extra stuff hence why I referred to them as extra gay stuff in a purely scientific manner.

This post has been edited by tiam: 23 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

#136 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 23 February 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Or you could just do overhead presses. Those are way better than isolation lifts. Gets the entire body plus your triceps involved.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#137 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

Better if you want to work more than one muscle with a lift. In the overhead press the triceps are only used by themselves to finish the extension, not going through the full range of motion. So for fully working just the tricep, you have to isolate it.
By the way, I love the overhead press.
.Edit- I can't spell.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 24 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#138 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:53 AM

Just to clarify tiam. Because I'm a lazy bastard in some respects, it was so much easier to just write the big 3 main exercises, instead of everything. I do quite a number of exercises before I turn to cardio at the end of the training sesssion :)

#139 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thats what I mean. The compounds are the mains the rest are just extra stuff that neither of us can be bothered putting down :smoke:

#140 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:01 AM

The only thing I do regularly is footie every wednesday until I cough my lungs out and can no longer stand. Fun times.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users