Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oh stonewielder (Spoilers) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   StormofHeaven 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

Just finished Stonewielder. Enjoyed it, even though I felt the ending seemed rushed. Anybody else get that impression?

Anyways, A couple of questions.

1) Kiska and Leoman at the end. Who was that giant holding up a mountain? That seemed kinda weird.

2) Did Leoman betray the 7C mage at the end? And did that mage get killed by the Lionsan?

3)Was Warran ST?

Thats about it. I think the book should have had another 100 pages or so. Seemed to abrupt. I am curious to the state of things in Koreal now. If the Malazan army is leaving, why wouldn't it stay and hold onto territory? It is a empire after all.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:51 AM

I think abrupt is a better word than rushed, and not just at the ending. I don't think ICE has mastered SE's skill of saying just enough so that the reader can fill in the gaps. In other words, SE leaves room for educated guesses, while ICE is so austere sometimes with the reveals that it leaves too much to just plain old guesses. So while I might agree his books could do with another 100 pages (more or less), I'd personally want them dispersed throughout rather than fleshing out just the finales.

1) Very weird, nobody knows yet.
2) Don't recall, sorry.
3) Yes indeed.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

No idea on the creature. Possibly Azathanai but thats speculation.

Didnt betray they simply recognised one another and Leoman distracted and didnt help Yath while he and Kiska fled. The Liosan likely killed him yes.

Yes Warran was ST all along

#4 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

Yay, so I finally finished Stormwielder and now I have read everything Malazan with the exception of Crack'd Pot Trail which I will read this weekend (unless Skyrim doesn't want me to).
I found it a good book, and can't really understand the negativity I have seen in many of the threads here. Well, yeah, it does have its flaws but to me it is pretty much a Malazan novel like the others; that is, too obtuse and yet entertaining.
The one positive thing I see people mention is the world-building (of Korel) and that is perhaps the one thing I wish was better.
Korel didn't feel that unique, aside from the Stormwall (couldn't help thinking of the Night's Watch btw). The place didn't feel much different from Quon Tali in Return of the Crimson Guard. Perhaps a few more unique locations to bedazzle the imagination would have been cool.
I liked all the storylines, and most of the characters.
Looking forward to the next title!
Cheers.
I said CHEERS!
Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

The book was awesome and the book was horrible. It showed us, after the jumbled up mess that was RCG, that Esslemont really can write a proper Malazan book with all the subtleties and quirks that makes the series fun. Unfortunately he also managed to completely drop the ball in the end. He just chopped off numerous story lines with out making any attempts at explaining or wrapping up countless leads.

I was thoroughly disappointed with that story, even more so to learn that Esslemeont wrote the piece of crap a decade ago.

#6 User is offline   The Pack 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Basketball
    Ultimate (frisbee)
    Being utterly oblivious to subtle writing techniques

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I've just finished it and feel kind of the same with the ending to the book. I'm not sure what you mean about chopping off the end of story lines but times like
Spoiler

This post has been edited by The Pack: 01 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'm going to be reading these books for the rest of my life trying to catch every little secret and plot detail...and i'm ok with that :D

#7 User is offline   jammerculture 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'm always confused when people say that the end of a book that is part of an ongoing storline, ends without completion.
Written on a tablet, give me a break about spelling, etc

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users