Forum Chess Round 2

#221 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

hmm
this next move pretty much decides how we expect the game to play out. personally, I don't see White castling queenside. pawn structure there is a mess, and it's open to attack by our numerous diagonal pieces.

if we lock both kings on the Queenside, with a semi-locked position, white's knights technically should have an advantage in mobility.

however, looking at he board, pawn placement really undercuts that.

i'm willing to risk it. Tapper, what do you think?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#222 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

I'm willing to risk it as well, but I've only taken a quick peek at the board and don't have much time as it is past midnight. I can see why it could be good, however, this is very much depending on us seizing initiative this way. Is there any way UoW can press a queenswitch on his terms rather than ours? Cause if so, we're proper fucked. What if he moves 14. d4-d5, for example?
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#223 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I've been thinking quite seriously about pushing the d pawn forward, as I think that would preserve some useful features of the central pawn structure, especially as I've lost a bishop to your knight. However, were you to play dxc5, I wouldn't necessarily play dxc5 back, as any queen exchange that you initiate is a losing proposition for me. The middle game really does hinge on your next move and the next few exchanges, and I think we will start to see the shape of the endgame fairly soon after.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#224 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 13 September 2011 - 12:33 AM, said:

I've been thinking quite seriously about pushing the d pawn forward, as I think that would preserve some useful features of the central pawn structure, especially as I've lost a bishop to your knight. However, were you to play dxc5, I wouldn't necessarily play dxc5 back, as any queen exchange that you initiate is a losing proposition for me. The middle game really does hinge on your next move and the next few exchanges, and I think we will start to see the shape of the endgame fairly soon after.

See, that's what I meant. I think we ought to take some time to see if we can come up with 1-3 likely alternative moves for UoW for 14. dxc5 .... before we commit and play those out. I'll agree with STD that we need to force something soon, though.

#225 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

View PostTapper, on 13 September 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 13 September 2011 - 12:33 AM, said:

See, that's what I meant. I think we ought to take some time to see if we can come up with 1-3 likely alternative moves for UoW for 14. dxc5 .... before we commit and play those out. I'll agree with STD that we need to force something soon, though.

I think you're right. Will take a look when I've got a bit more time.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#226 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Haven't had a chance to look at alternatives to 14. d5 for White, nor alternatives to dxc5 and Be6 for Black, but here's my take on the 13...dxc5 14. d5 line:

- While it appears natural at first glance, I don't like the line: 13...dxc5 14 d5 Be7, because 15.dxc6 Bxc6 allows White to make the queen exchange on his terms (and bxc6 would cripple our pawn structure for ever more, so that's out).

- I'd like to avoid trying to exchange on d5 as well if possible. This would give White a passed pawn on the d-file that he can either support with a later e4 or advance to unleash the power of his bishop on the long diagonal.

- After 13...dxc5 14. d5, it's imperative that we have two pieces covering the d6 square. Otherwise, we're going to die a horribly painful death as White pushes his pawn there. Consequently, I think 14...Qc7 looks best in this line. We move the queen off the back rank in preparation for castling, with the happy side effect that as it is no longer on the d-file, we don't have to worry about Queen exchange and so can play Be7. This does feel a bit passive, but it will allow us to complete development in a reasonably straightfoward fashion. Another plus point is that the Queen provides an extra defender for the c6 pawn, so we could go for a counter fianchetto with b6 and Bb7.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#227 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

A reminder of the current state of play:

Attached File  current-position.png (47.06K)
Number of downloads: 0
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#228 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Q D8 -> A5

should be the next move, but as only one person has played in a week, I can't order it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#229 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

Q D8 -> A5

Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#230 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

Clearly I can't push my d pawn forward now, so I'll do the next best thing, and castle kingside. 0-0

Attached File  current-position.png (48.11K)
-- Oscar Wilde

#231 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:07 PM

ok, now it seems pretty obvious we need to move that bishop off c8

Be6

#232 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

OK, I have a confession to make -- my middle game is atrocious. I'm really unsure about this move, but I'm going to press on and hope it hasn't really weakened my position.

cxd6?!

Attached File  current-position.png (49.2K)
-- Oscar Wilde

#233 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

Bishop E7 -> D6
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#234 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

Oooh, now this might actually work out alright. I think a plan of castling queenside, and attacking down the g-file looks promising.

ST

#235 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

View PostSir Thursday, on 16 September 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

Oooh, now this might actually work out alright. I think a plan of castling queenside, and attacking down the g-file looks promising.

ST

Ixnay on the AstleCay.

Unless he does something I don't expect.

#236 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

Continuing with this line though I feel it's going to end badly

d5

.Attached File  current-position.png (49.76K)
-- Oscar Wilde

#237 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hmm.
If we exchange on d5, followed by Bd7, i really dont think UoW has much left in terms of attacking possibilities.

#238 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

I don't think we even need to exchange on d5. That just lets White get rid of his doubled pawns. We might as well play Bd7 straight away. In fact, I feel pretty strongly that that's the right call (we can always make the exchange later if we want to redevelop the bishop on the Queenside).

Bd7

#239 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostSir Thursday, on 16 September 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

I don't think we even need to exchange on d5. That just lets White get rid of his doubled pawns. We might as well play Bd7 straight away. In fact, I feel pretty strongly that that's the right call (we can always make the exchange later if we want to redevelop the bishop on the Queenside).

Bd7

d5 xc6 threatens the bishop Bd7 and opens up Qd2x Bd6. It also creates a free vertical entry for his rooks. our own gains are minimal. 16. ... c6 x d5 was a necessity, imho.

#240 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

As Tapper said, we should have done a pawn exchange before moving that Bishop.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

26 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users