Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Temper's Job

#1 User is offline   Archeokat 

• Archeokat
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Just wanted to clarify something; only halfway through RG at time of writing this so if there's something in this that I'm not supposed to know yet, I can do with not knowing yet anyway.

At the end of NoK, I was under the impression that Temper is now Guardian or at least associated with Deadhouse. At the end of BH, is he working in Coops or does he live there? And if he is Guardian, why doesn't he live in the house (and why didn't Fiddler and Kalam meet him in the door in DH)? The fact that he runs out of Coops at the end of BH suggests that he has a strong association with the House (or is he just guarding it from without?).
I might be missing something massive here, but clarification would be good before I keep going on this vein of confusion.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

The position he holds and what it means is not probably explained. For example he shows up in RCG as well.

From what we've seen in NoK it seeems that there is inner guardians and outer guardians. Jhenna was an Inner Guardian. A person who has entered the Deadhouse willingly or been taken by the house and is given the option of serving instead of rotting. These people are usually very powerful we can assume by looking at characters like Raest or Moby. Then there is the outher Guardians. People who seem to watch the perimeter. Like Faro and that other guy who hung out at Coops in NoK. Seems like Temper took over Jhennas role but is allowed outside.

Maybe there are two different roles. Maybe they are all the same. Some are just given more leaway than others. After all, some serve willingly, some only serve because it is a better altenative than being sucked dry and going insane after a thousand years.

#3 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

View PostNyapt Cat, on 15 August 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

The position he holds and what it means is not probably explained. For example he shows up in RCG as well.

From what we've seen in NoK it seeems that there is inner guardians and outer guardians. Jhenna was an Inner Guardian. A person who has entered the Deadhouse willingly or been taken by the house and is given the option of serving instead of rotting. These people are usually very powerful we can assume by looking at characters like Raest or Moby. Then there is the outher Guardians. People who seem to watch the perimeter. Like Faro and that other guy who hung out at Coops in NoK. Seems like Temper took over Jhennas role but is allowed outside.

Maybe there are two different roles. Maybe they are all the same. Some are just given more leaway than others. After all, some serve willingly, some only serve because it is a better altenative than being sucked dry and going insane after a thousand years.

Temper takes up Faro's "outer guardianship" rather than Jhenna's "inner guardianship". The implication from NoK is that the outer guardian is there to prevent beings from leaving the Azath while the inner guardian is there to keep people from getting in.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#4 User is offline   Asharak 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

While it wasnt outhright said in Nok, it was stated clearly in a later book that Temper is the guardian of the house. He surprisingly takes the job rather seriously.

#5 User is offline   Ben Delat 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

yes it is said he is guardian of the house, but which one?

The title is only bestowed on Temper after Faro's friend with the pikeaxe goes down and Faro goes crispy, with Faro's last words he has Temper take on the role of outer guardian, to battel Jhenna the inner guardian from getting out. If not it would have only made sense that Jhenna would have lost some powers when Temper took the official title and fought each other, but it is the inner and outter champions doing battle there, not one replacing the other.

#6 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong: certain conditions have to be 'just right' in order for the inner guardian to make the attempt. The stars aligned or some such thing. Which may mean that Jhennas' attempt to escape was a rare and maybe only a one-timee opportunity, brought on by the weakness.of the Azath or whatever. So, maybe Temper was a temporary guardian?

#7 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostNefaraisBredd, on 30 August 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong: certain conditions have to be 'just right' in order for the inner guardian to make the attempt. The stars aligned or some such thing. Which may mean that Jhennas' attempt to escape was a rare and maybe only a one-timee opportunity, brought on by the weakness.of the Azath or whatever. So, maybe Temper was a temporary guardian?

The night of the shadow moon which is some sort of KE wandering that leads it to Malaz City for unexplained reasons. This coupled with the Storm Riders essentially created a unique convergence that allowed for unique situations. Temper is the out guardian for the azath afaik.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users