• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Karsa? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   blewin 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:12 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I just don't get this. Why did Karsa kill Fener? Did he even know that Stormy and Ges were calling on Fener when he stormed into the temple to kill him?

and what about Karsa's army? thought he's got one and gonna conquer the world with that.. I thought that storyline hasn't finished yet.

This post has been edited by blewin: 09 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

Fener sacrificed himself to bring life to, among other things, the CG's heart. Karsa was the facilitator, through the temple of Fener in Darujhistan, and did indeed know the timing, if not the connection to Gesler and Stormy. Karsa's army so far consists of the Lether Tarthenal and his daughters, so there's still a way to go with that particular thread.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

And Karsa will have his own trilogy :)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#4 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

And Hood told him to stay in Darujhistan to 'kill a god'.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

It'd be a very interesting thing if Kruppe and Karsa met while he was in Darujistan.

Comedic value aside, Kruppe sees himself as the defender of the city (as the "Eel") and obviously sees the value in it and it's people. Karsa, obviously, would rather burn it to the ground because it's a corrupt haven of civilization that feed the corrupt elite on the flesh and tears of the downtrodden. They could have some interesting things to say to each other.

Now...if you could get Tehol and his societal views into the conversation...

!

#6 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

Migol, on 09 August 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

!

Frankly I would be interested on what Tehol has to say about that. From what Shurq Elalle tells Felash in DoD, it seems as if Tehol would side with Karsa in the discussion albeit with probably a less extreme solution.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2011 - 12:56 AM

Robin Goodfellow, on 09 August 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

And Hood Picker told him to stay in Darujhistan to 'kill a god'.

and he did it. he killed fener. but fener is but one symptom of civilization. and if karsa want's to cure the world of civilization, it'll take at least a trilogy :)

anyway, karsa's story is far, far, from being done with.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   MWKarsa 

• Midget Toblakai
  • Interests:Reading, Sports, Exercise and all things Texas Longhorn.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

Sinisdar Toste, on 10 August 2011 - 12:56 AM, said:

Robin Goodfellow, on 09 August 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

And Hood Picker told him to stay in Darujhistan to 'kill a god'.

and he did it. he killed fener. but fener is but one symptom of civilization. and if karsa want's to cure the world of civilization, it'll take at least a trilogy :)

anyway, karsa's story is far, far, from being done with.

Honestly this trilogy is the one I absolutely cannot wait to read- I will count down the days once the first installment has a release date until I can get my grubby hands on it.

#9 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ˝ man, ˝ amazing

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

It'd be a very interesting thing if Kruppe and Karsa met while he was in Darujistan.

Comedic value aside, Kruppe sees himself as the defender of the city (as the "Eel") and obviously sees the value in it and it's people. Karsa, obviously, would rather burn it to the ground because it's a corrupt haven of civilization that feed the corrupt elite on the flesh and tears of the downtrodden. They could have some interesting things to say to each other.

!

I think Kruppe would go on for 5 minutes, then Karsa would just say "Too many words..." and walk off. :)
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

Also, the various gods of war other than the Wolves may have had something to do with the chain of events leading to Karsa slicing Fener's last altar. It wasn't the Wolves who sent Picker to find Karsa, and we know from TtH that there are more war gods around than just the ones we've seen.

Also, given the Wolves primal disgust with civilization, I can't help but wonder whether Karsa may find himself in the House of War as well as the House of Chains. After all, Trake is looking for a new Mortal Sword...

In theory Karsa's army includes the maimed Teblors from the Landron Plateau, altho HoC suggested the RockFaces set up someone else to lead them.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Here's an even stranger thing to me: how did he kill fener? How was that little artifact in the temple so important that it killed the physical manifestation of a god that was on a different continent? I'm not even 100% sure why fener was there in the first place :yes
QBFTW!

#12 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

Well, we've seen various links between altars and their gods, especially when the god is mucking around in the mortal world. Consider that bugg is more of mael's avatar than his real godly form or whatever (he hasn't been ripped out of his hold like fener), yet bugg's body, consciousness, all the power he encompassed as well as his ability to access his greater Mael Power™ was captured inside some random defunct altar drowned beneath the streets of letheras. I mean, the errant nudged him in and did some sort of voodoo, but the altar was obviously required for the trappery.

So now we've got fener, who everyone has conveniently been saying over and over is "incredibly vulnerable" now that he's been ripped out of his realm. I guess the whatever "altars do shit to their gods" connection is a bit more potent when said god is completely unprotected and in the same world as that altar.

As far as fener being there, stormy and gesler kept saying shit like "for fener woohoo" and accidentally summoned him. Also very convenient, but eh.

#13 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

hm. makes sense, I suppose. I'm still a bit vague on the connection imposed by an altar, but, eh, confusion is a part of the series. Good point about the distinction between an avatar and a manifestation though.
QBFTW!

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

The key ingredient was Fener's conscious, willing sacrifice. The altar isn't the point, nor is the tusk. Karsa's sword literally traveled through space to physically pierce Fener's body. The artifact was not a stand-in for Fener, it was a pathway, opened by a fully aware and deliberate Fener himself. There is no need for symbolism here.

#15 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

worrywort, on 24 August 2011 - 08:54 PM, said:

The key ingredient was Fener's conscious, willing sacrifice. The altar isn't the point, nor is the tusk. Karsa's sword literally traveled through space to physically pierce Fener's body. The artifact was not a stand-in for Fener, it was a pathway, opened by a fully aware and deliberate Fener himself. There is no need for symbolism here.

i think worrywort's got it. fener would have a very intimate link with any of his altars no matter what his state. since he's in the world, and intends to sacrifice himself, he can reach through the tusk and literally put himself on that altar that karsa swings at. what happens in reality is you get a massive sword swinging into a towering war-boar, showering god-blood all over the epic battle for the fate of the entire planet. because fener is dramatic like that.

edit: it's like the event is happening in two places at once.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 24 August 2011 - 11:56 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#16 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

Fener's dialogue with the Errant in RG suggests he's basically just waiting for the battle in Kolanse:

Yes, one last battle awaits me...

..A war, enough to make my heart surge with life, with hunger. How could it not? I am the Boar of Summer, Lord of the Hosts on the field of battle

I don't think he needed Stormy and Gesler to summon him, the magnitude of the battle was always going to draw him.

And he seems to know exactly what will happen at that time:

Why, as long as I can, before my control crumbles- or I am summoned to my battle, my death, I mean

So as worrywort says, it seems that this sacrifice at the time is willing.

It's an interesting couple of pages, where we see the Errant make a rare attempt at 'not being a jerk.'
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#17 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Kanubis, on 25 August 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

It's an interesting couple of pages, where we see the Errant make a rare attempt at 'not being a jerk.'

So true. I was surprised on how nice The Errant was to poor Fener. Of course he ruins the moment when later he muses on how he can take advantage of him

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 25 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#18 User is offline   Steelriver 

• Recruit

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

Bulwyf, on 22 August 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

!

I think Kruppe would go on for 5 minutes, then Karsa would just say "Too many words..." and walk off. :)

Nah hed just say "Witness" and destroy the city

#19 User is offline   cgw 

• Recruit

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

I just finished TCG. My one big complaint - I don't even know what wasn't "wrapped up" but for sure Karsa wasn't. He was a major character and he had a paragraph or two in the end. Now what. His character is one I was looking forward to for the last couple books. I was expecting him to play a much more significant role.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:59 PM

There is going to be a post-MBOTF trilogy dedicated to him, so his role in TCG was focused on how he fit in the finale, not wrapping things up for him.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users