Malazan Empire: Lets talk Fomor - Spoilers for Ghost story - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lets talk Fomor - Spoilers for Ghost story And spoilers for Side Jobs too for that mater

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

So, as usual, Butcher didn't just draw these guys out of his ass, they are based upon real world mythology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomorians

Obviously these are the same guys that we hear about in the Side Jobs story dedicated to Murphy after Dresden died.

I can't help but suspect that they are connected to the black council, the fallen and maybe even the Outsiders. For all we know they could be the outsiders.

Supposedly the series is building up towards an apocalypse. The rise of the Fomor and the war that would ensue could be that apocalypse. Or maybe they are just one of several key powers that are rising. All though they just sound like thugs right, the question is who or what is leading these Fomor. From Leanansidhe's description these Fomor can be all manner of things. Not just a uniform group of frog people. They could be a diverse group of gods and demons who have united to overthrow the current status quo.

This post has been edited by Nyapt Cat: 07 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

Marcone faced off against a Fomorian using the defenses he set in place to take out an angry Dresden.

As for who leads them, it's probably a combination of Outsiders and undersea lords. Somehow, this is all tied into Harry's mother, so we know Thomas and Lord Raith will make it to at least near the end of the series, as they give clues to Harry about whatever she got up to.

Perhaps they want the maps that she was working on to let the Fomorians conquer Earth, or the maps would allow the Outsiders an easy route into the universe proper.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:23 AM

They seem to be focused on acquiring humans with power, however minor. It's been a running theme with them.

The big question is why? Conquest seems to simple.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

They've been shown to augment their minions with new flesh and powers. Perhaps these new powers are derided from their victims.

#5 User is offline   dawnkiller 

• Fist

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

Even though "Even Hand" is fairly accessible via Google, I'll spoiler-tag the revelations about the fomor. (Mostly technical stuff.)

Spoiler

We saw Maeve being attended by enslaved human musicians in Summer Knight, probably because of the old saw about how the fae can't create music, among other things. Could be the fomor find humans fill a similar niche for the fomor. Or maybe, like the Fallen and fae, there are rules they're bound by, but human servants aren't.

Now 'scuse me, my new copy of Furies of Calderon is giving me an accusing look . . .

This post has been edited by dawnkiller: 31 August 2011 - 01:49 AM

#6 User is offline   dawnkiller 

• Fist

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

Is it just me, or did this thread drop two of this morning's replies? (Good thing I've started saving them in drafts . . . )

Regarding the fomor's ultimate goals -- their speciality is said to be entropy, meaning (among other things) they have a talent of making things break and rust. However, entropy can also refer to "a doctrine of inevitable social decline and degeneration". Now consider the status of all the major world organizations:

Summer Court - The previous Summer Lady went insane and almost destroyed the balance between Winter and Summer.

Winter Court - Mab has been under assault for some time, theoretically beginning with the dagger Lea was given in Grave Peril and definitely by Proven Guilty and the just-missed assault on Arctis Tor.

Black Court - Scattered ever since the publication of Dracula.

White Court - Lord Raith is crippled by Margaret LeFay, which is suggested to be not a great thing to advertise.

Red Court - Before they were destroyed, the Red King had fallen to bloodlust after thousands of years. In Changes, Harry remarks this has to have been a recent development or he'd have been overthrown already.

White Council - Deeply undermined by the Wizard Peabody and decimated by the war with the Red Court.

Knights of the Cross - Down from 3 defenders to 1, unless Murphy feels like accepting that job offer.

The Archive - Through a series of deaths, currently in the extremely vulnerable position of not having any redundant "hosts" should Ivy die.

All signs point to the old orders breaking down. Whether or not the fomor are responsible or simply benefiting from it is anyone's guess, but it certainly seems to be down their alley.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users