Malazan Empire: Abyss JUST FINISHED ghosting thru GHOST STORY - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abyss JUST FINISHED ghosting thru GHOST STORY ....BOO! Also, SPOILERS!...

#41 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

Random tidbit from a Butcher Q&A session:

“I wanted to ask about the girl at Dresden’s grave. Was it Mab or Leah? Or was she someone else?”

Mab and Demonreach both made sure they had a proxy present in those two conversations at Dresden’s grave.

[...]

I’ve considered a series set during the French and Indian Wars, when Eb and the Merlin were Harry’s age, but if I ever do it that will be in the future, ten years out at least.

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#42 User is offline   Tuberski 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:57 AM

Here's one for everyone.

What was a King James Bible doing on Father Forthill's nightstand? Catholics do not use the King James version. Screw-up or foreshadowing?

I think Screw-up.

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

View PostTuberski, on 11 August 2011 - 03:57 AM, said:

Here's one for everyone.

What was a King James Bible doing on Father Forthill's nightstand? Catholics do not use the King James version. Screw-up or foreshadowing?

I think Screw-up.

Or a man who doesn't just stick to one source and likes to read?

#44 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

View PostNyapt Cat, on 11 August 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

Here's one for everyone.

I think Screw-up.

I caught that too. I assumed it was because Forthill wasn't your normal catholic priest and had enough faith to allow himself to be 'tempted' by other translations?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

View PostObdigore, on 11 August 2011 - 03:57 PM, said:

View PostNyapt Cat, on 11 August 2011 - 04:51 AM, said:

Here's one for everyone.

I think Screw-up.

I caught that too. I assumed it was because Forthill wasn't your normal catholic priest and had enough faith to allow himself to be 'tempted' by other translations?

Me too.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#46 User is offline   Tuberski 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:44 PM

Crazy me.

I thought Butcher might have just (GASP!) screwed up.

#47 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

View PostTuberski, on 11 August 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Crazy me.

Its possible. Its possible that its a clue for further in the series. Or it could have been the first record in google when you search for 'christian bible' on the day that Butcher was writing it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#48 User is offline   High Marshal Flit 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

So I just finished 'Ghost Story' and normally I would have been through the book twice by now, but I'll admit I was pretty hesitant because of the whole Dresden's dead angle. But of course it's Butcher, and of course it was good, not great, solid, fun as always.

I think my primary understanding of the book, or at least what I took away from it, was that this book was needed, not only as a transitional book, but it gave Dresden's supporting characters a chance to grow. The modus operandi for the other books, was that Dresden's friends would get in trouble or in over their heads and Dresden would come through with fire and muscle. I mean, we've known Murphy was strong, and the Alphas to a point, and that Molly had it in her, especially after Changes. But now without Dresden as their crutch, and shit getting real, Dresden's friends, have become his super friends. Mort, Butters, and the Alphas have all 'manned up', and the women have become some forces to be respected. Molly with Lea as her mentor and Murphy with the Valkeyries (sp) can legit roll with Dresden now.

The next books Dresden will be rolling into some darker and more dangerous areas and against stronger villians, so this book showed the growth of his Chi-town crew and their potential as stronger back-up in what's coming. This needed to happen, I believe, if they were to stay relevant to the stories from here on out, and it was interesting how Butcher chose to deal with it. The ghost angle and/or short stories changing the point of view that we've gotten used to (Dresden) are some of the only ways I can think to portray the growth of supporting characters, but I'll give Butcher props for pulling it off. It shows his growth as a writer, it's been fun reading him from the beginning and still being excited with the story, twists and turns, no rabbit holes, great action, one liners, etc.

#49 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 08 August 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

And it was all your fault, Harry.

That would appear to have been the whisper. 7 words, just like when Uriel gives his little whisper to Harry when Mab and Demonreach are talking

"Lies. Mab cannot change who you are."

Here is a longer snippet of that scene with Uriel and Harry

I did remember. I remembered with perfect clarity, in fact.
"I thought that I'd been defeated before. That people had even died because I failed. But those people had never been my own flesh and blood. They hadn't been my child. I'd lost. I was beaten." I shook my head. "I remember saying to myself that it was all over. And it was all your fault, Harry."
"Ah," Uriel said as I finished the last sentence, and he lifted his hand. "Now look."
I blinked at him and then at the image of me lying on the cot. "I don't . . ." I frowned. There was something odd about the shadows in the room, but . . .
"Here," Uriel said, lifting a hand. Light shone from it as though from a sudden sunrise. It revealed the room, casting everything in stark relief—and I saw it.
A slender shadow crouched beside the cot, vague and difficult to notice, even by Uriel's light—but it was there, and
it was leaning as though to whisper in my ear.
And it was all your fault, Harry.
The thought, the memory, resonated in my head for a moment, and I shivered.
"That . . . that shadow. It's an angel?"
"It was once," he said, and his voice was gentle—and infinitely sad. "A long, long time ago."
"One of the Fallen," I breathed. "Yes. Who knew how to lie to you, Harry."

So... which Fallen? Is it the echo of Lash coming back, one we've met already, or one we haven't met yet? The "who knew how to lie to you line" implies that it someone who knows how Dresden thinks, which only really could be Lashiel (or Nicodemus in a different since), I'd think.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#50 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Held had a post in the other Ghost Story thread that quoted someone else from somewhere else.

It basically said that they suspect that Lucifer himself was who whispered in Dresden's ear. That's why Uriel refused to say who exactly it was.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#51 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

View Postamphibian, on 11 August 2011 - 10:38 PM, said:

Held had a post in the other Ghost Story thread that quoted someone else from somewhere else.

It basically said that they suspect that Lucifer himself was who whispered in Dresden's ear. That's why Uriel refused to say who exactly it was.

Hmmm that would make sense as it wouldn't be the first time that Lucifer has involved himself with Dresden. After all it isn't every mortal that defeats one of his angels
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#52 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

View PostObdigore, on 11 August 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostTuberski, on 11 August 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Crazy me.

Its possible. Its possible that its a clue for further in the series. Or it could have been the first record in google when you search for 'christian bible' on the day that Butcher was writing it.

Cynic

#53 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:26 PM

Another thread? If it ain't in "View New Content" I don't see it, lol.

But, that makes good sense too. Would prefer it actually be meaningful to either his past or his future run-ins with the Denarians, though.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#54 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:50 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 11 August 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

Another thread? If it ain't in "View New Content" I don't see it, lol.

Ain't that the truth..

#55 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:52 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 11 August 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

But, that makes good sense too. Would prefer it actually be meaningful to either his past or his future run-ins with the Denarians, though.

To quote a famous brain eating cat.... "In Butcher we trust!!"

I expect that it will be. He will probably have to deal directly with them now that he is a knight for winter. Wasn't it the Denarians who first drew him to the island...

#56 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

Yes, when they kidnapped the Archive, he rescued her and marcone from Demonreach. Also, at least one of the Denarians was involved in the assault on Mabs fortress...

Sounds like we are going to get a book of fairies (summer/winter), then some Denarians. Anyone know the title of the next book?

#57 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

Cold Days if i remember correctly.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:40 AM

re the bible, i bet you Forthill hides a Holy Grenade in there and THATs why it's a diferent bible.

- Abyss, thinks Murphy should pistol whip someone at least once in EVERY book.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#59 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:42 AM

I just finished this. Liked it a lot, enjoyed the whole mood of it. Didn't get too emotional over anything except when Harry's flashback explains Molly's earlier reaction to the "You're a hell of a woman, Molly" line.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#60 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

I've always thought they'd make a great couple :-D
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users