Malazan Empire: Li Heng, a minor complaint - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Li Heng, a minor complaint really, really minor and possibly not even a real complaint

#1 User is offline   Feathersmith 

• Acolyte of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Eating, reading, birds, plants, not getting killed in traffic.
  • I took several years off from reading Malazan and now I've fallen down that rabbithole again and it's gr9

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

So it was cool and all to see more about Li Heng. The massive walls, the ties it apparently had to Light (seeing more use of KL, and other human mages/priests of Elder stuff, was definitely one of the highlights of this book), the crazy gigantic jackal in the sub-basement, then the defending and breach of those walls, etc., etc. Good times! Or least exciting times.

But I found that I kept hoping for some mention - even just in passing - of the Hengese roach dogs, clearly the fiercest of all domestic canines.

And did that ever come to pass?

No.

I weep for this lost opportunity to fill out the the backstory of one of the Malazan world's most infamous characters.
Get along for awhile / Citizen, you will see / How the innocent are bound to the damned.

#2 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

Right on!! You're right there. I'd never thought about it whilst reading the book myself, but now that you mention it, it would have been lovely to have included that little piece of backstory.
What a DOG!!!!
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

I remember thinking that too back when i read this for the first time, but realistically there are a few possibilities...

1) The dogs were all eaten during the seige;

2) The dogs were in fact a d'ivers form of Ryllandaras and they were reabsorbed into the Jackal when he was released;

3) The dogs made a break for it early in the seige, swam out the sewers, took down the Loyalists and tribesmen guards, stole their horses and rode away to go visit their Malazan Rat Dog cousins on Malaz island; or,

4) The dogs went black, stayed hidden and several 'missing' Hengese citizens were actually dog food during those troubled times.

- Abyss, ...could say Li Heng went to the dogs...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Feathersmith 

• I took several years off from reading Malazan and now I've fallen down that rabbithole again and it's gr9

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 July 2011 - 07:45 PM, said:

I remember thinking that too back when i read this for the first time, but realistically there are a few possibilities...

1) The dogs were all eaten during the seige;

2) The dogs were in fact a d'ivers form of Ryllandaras and they were reabsorbed into the Jackal when he was released;

3) The dogs made a break for it early in the seige, swam out the sewers, took down the Loyalists and tribesmen guards, stole their horses and rode away to go visit their Malazan Rat Dog cousins on Malaz island; or,

4) The dogs went black, stayed hidden and several 'missing' Hengese citizens were actually dog food during those troubled times.

Options 3 and 4 sound awfully plausible. (I do also remember that way back in DG, the noble says the little monster is a "rare Hengese roach dog" so them being scarce is probably not all surprising, given how little we see of the nobles' day to day life in Li Heng.)

- Abyss, ...could say Li Heng went to the dogs...

*whimper*
Get along for awhile / Citizen, you will see / How the innocent are bound to the damned.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:14 PM

Okay, one of you artist types, draw me a picture of a Hengese Lapdog standing on the back of a galloping horse with the reins in its tiny mouth.

#6 User is offline   The Pack 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Basketball
    Ultimate (frisbee)
    Being utterly oblivious to subtle writing techniques

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

How would they have been woven into the scenes? From what i remember it was quite busy anyway, but i'd rather have a decent piece of text on these hell hounds than a small footnote in the battle.
I'm going to be reading these books for the rest of my life trying to catch every little secret and plot detail...and i'm ok with that :D

#7 User is offline   Feathersmith 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

View PostThe Pack, on 21 July 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

How would they have been woven into the scenes? From what i remember it was quite busy anyway, but i'd rather have a decent piece of text on these hell hounds than a small footnote in the battle.

I don't know; I didn't give this any serious thought :p I suppose at some point, someone in the city could have seen someone carrying a small furball with an evil expression on its face. Something like that.

Or perhaps they could have appeared as Li Heng's "special forces" or something. Last defenders of the wall!! You know Ryllandaras wouldn't stand a chance against a pack of those beasts. As targets, they'd be too small for him to easily take out, and he'd just have been swarmed. Nipped to death. An undignified end, really.

#8 User is offline   LordofTheFallen 

• Last King of The Fallen Gods
  • Interests:Leaving flaming bags of Bha'karal poop on the doorsteps of the azath houses.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

I can just imagin a defense method where instead of hot oil the defenders drop bacon grease on the seiging army before pitching armfuls of the vicious dogs over the walls. Come dawn the dawn the army is nothing more than corpses and dog vomit.
"It seems I have stumbled upon another crime in progress"
Tehol held out the chicken by it's scrawny neck, "Here then, we never really expected the ransom in any case."

#9 User is offline   The Pack 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Basketball
    Ultimate (frisbee)
    Being utterly oblivious to subtle writing techniques

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

View PostLordofTheFallen, on 24 July 2011 - 06:57 AM, said:

I can just imagin a defense method where instead of hot oil the defenders drop bacon grease on the seiging army before pitching armfuls of the vicious dogs over the walls. Come dawn the dawn the army is nothing more than corpses and dog vomit.

You've really sold that scene, i can't wait to read about bloated committing dogs <_<
I'm going to be reading these books for the rest of my life trying to catch every little secret and plot detail...and i'm ok with that :D

#10 User is offline   Feathersmith 

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

LOL.

. . . ew.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

I can just imagin a defense method where instead of hot oil the defenders drop bacon grease on the seiging army before pitching armfuls of the vicious dogs over the walls. ...

Best.
Siege defence.
Ever.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users