Malazan Empire: The Space Program - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Space Program Do we keep spending the money?

#61 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

http://www.spacex.com/updates.php

here ya go Stormy. Also, SpaceX just a little bit ago, announced that they had been approved for a November(estimated) launch to be the first private party to resupply the ISS. '

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your definition of private sector.

SpaceX also happens to be the only private sector Company to date to successfully launch, orbit, and retrieve their space launch vehicle....
You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find, a thousand questions arise.

Deadhouse Gates, Steven Erikson

#62 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

This is all well and good. But I hate Burt Rutan with a passion. So I'm a little biased.

Nobody's built an acceptable lift rocket for significant payloads (that I know of) - the Russians will be handling anything up to 6000 pounds.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#63 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

What I'm hoping for in my lifetime is an orbital shipyard, and something like a space elevator. Is the space elevator even taken seriously anymore? I honestly have no idea how viable that idea is nowdays.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#64 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

For mind-blowingness look up Space Fountain.

The ultimate problem is that tensile materials simply aren't good enough. Gonna need carbon nanotube fiber or equivalent of significantly larger size than we can produce now.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#65 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 29 July 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

This is all well and good. But I hate Burt Rutan with a passion. So I'm a little biased.

Nobody's built an acceptable lift rocket for significant payloads (that I know of) - the Russians will be handling anything up to 6000 pounds.

But if that is all what is required, why go for more?
With the current space stations, massive expansion is not required. If you go for new stations, you also need transports for your space engineers and they'll want to come back to earth eventually, so a rocket won't do anyway.

Sure, on the long term, a lack of such a rocket means we're stagnant in our exploration of space. But I don't see the issue as being pressing, to be honest.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#66 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Ah, well, I'm ambitious. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing all the way. I am somewhat dissatisfied with only launching instruments. To paraphrase a scientist whose name escapes me, there is simply no machine that can be built to replace a scientist.

I'm also impatient. So there's that.

bla bla bla

#67 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 29 July 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

To paraphrase a scientist whose name escapes me, there is simply no machine that can be built to replace a scientist.

Science has to disagree
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#68 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:25 AM

View PostGothos, on 29 July 2011 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostAdjutant Stormy, on 29 July 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

To paraphrase a scientist whose name escapes me, there is simply no machine that can be built to replace a scientist.

Science has to disagree

I, for one, welcome our new robotic scientist overlords.

bla bla bla

#69 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Must Listen: Neil deGrasse Tyson’s inspirational rant on NASA cutbacks

Astronomer Neil deGrasse Tyson was on Bill Maher last Friday, and he said everything that needs to be said about plans to slash NASA's budget, including doing away with the James Webb Space Telescope. His phenomenal, astounding rant is one of the greatest pieces of truth-telling you'll hear today:

First of all, let's clarify what the NASA budget is. Do you realize that the $850 billion dollar bailout, that sum of money is greater than the entire 50-year running budget of NASA?

And so when someone says, "We don't have enough money for this space probe," I'm asking, no, it's not that you don't have enough money, it's that the distribution of money that you're spending is warped in some way that you are removing the only thing that gives people something to dream about tomorrow.

You remember the 60s and 70s. You didn't have to go more than a week before there's an article in Life magazine, "The Home of Tomorrow," "The City of Tomorrow," "Transportation of Tomorrow". All of that ended in the 1970s. After we stopped going to the Moon, it all ended. We stopped dreaming.

And so I worry that the decision that Congress makes doesn't factor in the consequences of those decisions on tomorrow. Tomorrow's gone. They're playing for the quarterly report, they're playing for the next election cycle, and that is mortgaging the actual future of this nation, and the rest of the world is going to pass us by.

The man is right.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#70 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

At least we'll all have Blackberrys to peruse while we stand in line at McDonalds
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#71 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

(PhysOrg.com) -- Global and high resolution mapping of Enceladus confirms that the weather forecast for Saturn's unique icy moon is set for ongoing snow flurries. The superfine ice crystals that coat Enceladus's surface would make perfect powder for skiing, according to Dr Paul Schenk of the Lunar and Planetary Institute (Houston, Texas), who will present the results at the EPSC-DPS Joint Meeting 2011 in Nantes, France on Monday 3rd October.

Source: http://www.physorg.c...ies-powder.html

If we had continued space exploration at the same rate we had in through the late 50s to 70s I could be skiing on Enceladus right now.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#72 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

View PostGothos, on 29 July 2011 - 07:50 AM, said:

What I'm hoping for in my lifetime is an orbital shipyard, and something like a space elevator. Is the space elevator even taken seriously anymore? I honestly have no idea how viable that idea is nowdays.

They are, but as AS said, the materials just aren't there yet.

This being said, it's conceivable that we could use a railgun to launch stuff into space in the meantime, also - for much less cost per kg than a space shuttle, too. I'd find you the link, but I'm lazy. It's on Tropes somewhere. That, of course, would require someone to keep funding railgun research, and those funds are being cut back too. :p

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#73 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

The problem is that you could only launch things that could withstand being shot out of a railgun at mach 5.

bla bla bla

#74 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

it would have to be a long one rail so the acceleration didn't destroy everything.

#75 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

Now, that's not to say that it isn't headed that way.....

bla bla bla

#76 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:45 AM

Thread necro:

I think in Heinlein's "Friday" they shoot each other all over the world out of giant railguns but inside capsules full of some sort of impact-reducing gel ... ?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#77 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2021 - 12:27 AM

Bezos' rocket looks like something used for intimate pleasure. Which I guess makes sense, as adult toys and aids are probably the most popular items ordered from Amazon. It's called the Blue Origin. I wonder if Watchmen's Doctor Manhattan is an inspiration?

His attempt starts tomorrow morning - Tuesday July 20 @ (9am EDT).

#78 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 July 2021 - 12:27 AM, said:

Bezos' rocket looks like something used for intimate pleasure. Which I guess makes sense, as adult toys and aids are probably the most popular items ordered from Amazon. It's called the Blue Origin. I wonder if Watchmen's Doctor Manhattan is an inspiration?

His attempt starts tomorrow morning - Tuesday July 20 @ (9am EDT).

The whole thing with billionaires launching into space reminds me very much of that one Spiderman panel where the guy has the tech to cure cancer, but doesn't want to, so he turns people into dinosaurs instead.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#79 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 July 2021 - 07:56 AM

Elon wants to save the planet.
Does so by burning thousands of gallons of fuel for space tourists

#80 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 July 2021 - 11:54 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 July 2021 - 07:56 AM, said:

Elon wants to save the planet.
Does so by burning thousands of gallons of fuel for space tourists

Elon wants to save the planet in exactly the same way that Matias Torres wants to save ten million lives.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users