Malazan Empire: ALERA - whole series ... Holy F***ing Furies - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ALERA - whole series ... Holy F***ing Furies ...wherein Abyss reads the series at long last...

#61 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hmm, my memory ain't so hot considering I only read that about a month ago.

still, considering the damage she dished out in the healers tent, and her ability to weather what was thrown at her outside and the silly line 'I only came here to weaken you father' (Imo installed for the set up of "oh, we've got her scared boys!') it all came as off kilter. She could have taken him, the poison was already killing him. So. Either you come to weaken him and flee, or you do the job. Now it could be argued she was aiming at that by wiping out the healers but that's a risky strategy when you don't know exactly how much wstercrafting each person has. And again, the effort expended and her upright strong stance after the the healing tents escapade, compared to crassus, max and tavi being at the door completely reads to me like she coulda squashed him like a bug.
a large bug, but a bug none the less.

#62 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

I know we're past this discussion, but I always pictured the Herdbanes to be akin to the Yaksha style monsters from Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2.

http://finalfantasy...._Fantasy_XIII-2)
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#63 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Hmm, my memory ain't so hot considering I only read that about a month ago.

still, considering the damage she dished out in the healers tent, and her ability to weather what was thrown at her outside and the silly line 'I only came here to weaken you father' (Imo installed for the set up of "oh, we've got her scared boys!') it all came as off kilter. She could have taken him, the poison was already killing him. So. Either you come to weaken him and flee, or you do the job. Now it could be argued she was aiming at that by wiping out the healers but that's a risky strategy when you don't know exactly how much wstercrafting each person has. And again, the effort expended and her upright strong stance after the the healing tents escapade, compared to crassus, max and tavi being at the door completely reads to me like she coulda squashed him like a bug.
a large bug, but a bug none the less.

Yeah... or for that matter how come she didn't use the garlic poison that is more or less impossible for anyone there to cure?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#64 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Done with the last book now and I'm not impressed by it. It felt like long hike with a little battle one the side. It lacked the tempo and the pure awesomeness the book 2 and 3 had. But still, I finished it in less the 24 hours so I am just whining because I know Butcher can do better then this. Now the only thing left to do, its sit back in the chair and twiddling thumps until Skin Game is out.

#65 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Tavi and Kitai in full-blown flying fury flinging fight vs the Vord Queen didn't impress you at all?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#66 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Not that much, it was okei but still not as good as the fighting over the bridge in book 3 or something.

#67 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm with grab-a-lick here abyss (although I'm sure you knew that from my precious postings)
for me 3 and 4 (I *think*) were the highlights, the climax was a let down because I was never fearful for any of the characters, the last fight just underwhelmed me, the premise of fighting on the angry mountain is awesome but it didn't come off for me.

#68 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hey, you're both entitled to your opinions (and cold and dead inside, but i digress...) .

#69 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

You honestly
And I mean honestly, set your hard on for Butcher aside, gave a shit about anyone who died in the grand finale?

#70 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

What i did enjoy was the sheer over the top fantasy lit fun of the finale. Yes the stabby clash of thousands in books 3 and 4 were awesome, but i was impressed with how Butcher wrote what was essentially a superhero comic book battle complete with flying and heat rays and monsters, and made it work.
That said, if you look upthread you can see my reaction, including that i found most of the deaths lacked impact because we hardly knew them.

#71 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Have to agree with the death part, it was just meh, that to bad for he/she when they died.

#72 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostGraablick, on 11 April 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Done with the last book now and I'm not impressed by it. It felt like long hike with a little battle one the side. It lacked the tempo and the pure awesomeness the book 2 and 3 had. But still, I finished it in less the 24 hours so I am just whining because I know Butcher can do better then this. Now the only thing left to do, its sit back in the chair and twiddling thumps until Skin Game is out.

By the last book, I was just hoping it would all end soon.

So I'm with you on the Butcher comment - I love the Dresden series to bits (even more so after my marathon re-read) so I know he can do so much better in terms of character. With the Dresden characters, he seems to be able to make you care for them even if they only have a minimal amount of 'screentime', whereas by the last book in Alera I really still had no concern or real engagement with anybody.

Reading the Dresden books from the start is a much better way to wait than twiddling your thumps.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users