Malazan Empire: The Uncharted Series - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Uncharted Series PS3 Third Person Adventure Action Awesomeness.

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

Nearly all the way through Game 1 (DRAKE'S FORTUNE) and still enjoying...but I see what Apt was saying about the shooting mechanics now. The fact that I can take a guy out at 30 feet away with a shotgun in one pump....but a handheld targeted at his head (but not exactly where the game wants to call it a headshot and take him out) seems backwards. The grenades are an absolute travesty and next to useless. The targeting for them is not even close to exacting, and the explosions sometimes don't take out a guy standing right beside them. I usually just throw them and assume they will do nothing...which mostly they do. The AK that you get most often is decent, but the fact that I have to unload an entire clip into one guy to kill him is bizarre. Like I will hit him with enough bullets that he shouldn't even be able to stand anymore, and yet he's still able to hide behind a stone and take pot shots at me. It's messed up. I only noticed these things after they kept occurring and I got annoyed.

Oh, and the jet ski mechanics? ARE TERRIBLÉ (yes, that's terrible in French, so extra terrible). Like some of the worst vehicle controls ever. The sequence where you drive upstream, take out bad guys, and blow up barrels was irritating and not remotely intuitive. I can see why Apt said to set the mode on Easy.

Otherwise, the story is great. The characters and acting is great. The puzzles are good (not great) but should be harder at the end of the game...and they kind of aren't. The treasures I'm collecting here and there seem to serve no function?

Anyways, will probably get around to Game 2 this weekend at this rate. Good series thus far, and only being held back by what some of you said about game mechanics, which while they can be annoying are not overly detrimental to me either.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

Finished Game 1. To be honest that was a fairly easy ending, but it was a solid story ending, so I'm happy.

Started Game 2, and man that was one hell of an opening! I can already see the graphical difference, and the gameplay mechanics are MUCH better already. Really feel I'm gonna love this one. Gotta love Nathan Drake!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

Good to hear.

I think that it is the characters and their relationship with one another that really makes the progression from game to game feel nostalgic and emotional.

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostApt, on 10 June 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Good to hear.

I think that it is the characters and their relationship with one another that really makes the progression from game to game feel nostalgic and emotional.

So far I agree. Even in Game 1 I totally bought into the banter between Drake and Sully...and I even fully bought into the love story between Drake and Elena. It's well written, if simplistic.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

Wow, 14 chapters into AMONG THIEVES and it's already probably one of the finest and most cinematic (and yet still ultimately playable and inclusive) and FUN games I've played in a long while. My wife, who usually abhors watching me play games, is having a blast watching the story play out.

Anyways, fantastic!

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

Finished AMONG THIEVES, and the general consensus is bang on...it's utterly phenomenal! I enjoyed every last minute, and it really felt like I was playing a movie. The controls are ALL cleaned up and nothing troubled me about it as it did in some of the first game controls. Loved the setting, the idea of being shoved in media res, and then shuttling back to replay the last while before that, and then past that to the ending.

One thing I love about these games is that the end boss (being a human) is never some insurmountable thing that requires you to tackle it over and over till you finally eek out the win...by dint of it being a human, you basically just have to be clever about how you do it (with this one it was pretty easy to take out Lazarevitch by running, and turning to blow up the tree sap with precise-ish shots from a pistol.

Started UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION, and so far it's great (made it through the opening flashback with Drake meeting Sully in Cartagena) and the opening with the double agent Statham-looking guy in London and Chloe is back! (I should note, Drake SHOULD end up with Elena (obvs)...but I like Chloe as a character too). Anyways, enjoying this one as well. The run across the Cartagena rooftops was a blast!

#27 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:13 PM

I've played the first three and the one on vita, all were good. You aren't playing those games for the mechanics.
Error: Signature not valid

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

Well. I finished game 3, and loved it! These games are so completely fun!

And my wife let it slip she bought me 4 for Xmas!!!

#29 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

If you are digging them up that much play the vita one. It's very well done.
Error: Signature not valid

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Started UNCHARTED 4. Oh man, the visuals are already a step above on the PS4!

Plus, the grappling hook and sliding movements...are amazingly fun!

Anyways, I'm only a chapter in so far, but it's great to be back! Also, did I miss the knowledge that Drake had an older brother in the other games? Or is this is a revelation that only exists in the 4th?

#31 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

^^ I think it's only revealed in Uncharted 4. I finally got a PS4 at Christmas so I could play this (and The Last of Us Remastered). I finished Uncharted 4 a couple of weeks ago and pretty much loved every minute of it. Even when I died it was usually with a big grin on my face because it was so much fun. I thought the voice acting and motion capture was amazing, too, especially the Nathan/Elena scenes.

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Agreed, it's a fantastic game, I'm about midway through now and enjoying every last second.

#33 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Really looking forward to the Lost Legacy now.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users