Malazan Empire: The Uncharted Series - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Uncharted Series PS3 Third Person Adventure Action Awesomeness.

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

So, the first one was okay.

The second one was damn good. Probably the most cinematic game I've played storywise.

The third is shaping up to be even better.

Here's the teaser trailer:

Here's the story trailer:

And here is a demonstration of the multiplayer. It looks good, like, better than what you usually get in FPS games, since the ability to climb and dive makes a big difference:

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/ZiXSSyTEotA

#2 User is offline   CowboyYojimbo 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

I've absolutely loved this series since day one. Seeing as how I adore Indiana Jones, this has been the best next thing for me. Naughty dog has completely nailed the pulp action adventure genre.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, I like how the game stays mostly grounded in the believable and then adds a slight touch of the supernatural behind the scenes. And it has such great bad guys. And it certainly looks like the great bad guys will be back in the third game.

I hadn't really been paying that much attention to the next game but then I watched the multiplayer gameplay and it actually made me want to sink in some hours in it.

#4 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Have yet to play 2, but my buddy owns it and has been trying to get me to play it forever.

I'll have to take him up on the offer methinks.

I really enjoyed no. 1.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

Anybody want to play some Uncharted 3 beta multiplayer? I'm playing right now.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

#7 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

This game makes me want to buy a PS3.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

View PostAptorian Sharktopus, on 10 July 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

Anybody want to play some Uncharted 3 beta multiplayer? I'm playing right now.

I was wondering if you knew you could play the multiplayer beta now ;)

I'm looking forward to the next one.
I really liked one articles sum up of the character, it said that Nathan Drake was like Indiana Jones played by Nathan Fillion.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#9 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

View PostLucifer, on 20 October 2011 - 02:07 AM, said:

I really liked one articles sum up of the character, it said that Nathan Drake was like Indiana Jones played by Nathan Fillion.

Nathan Fillion was lobbying to play Drake in the film adaptation a while ago
meh. Link was dead :(

#10 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

And they hired someone else to play it and a director that really didn't fit.
And now the film has been scrapped. Which I'm glad about, better scrapped than to be done the way it was sounding.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

Threadsurrection!

So I've never played any of these, but needed a new game to get into, so I grabbed the PS4 remasters of the initial three games (UNCHARTED: THE NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION) and plan on starting soon. Will weigh in as soon as I get stuck into them.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostCoonass, on 02 June 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

I've played 1(so good) and 2(so so so fucking good) and have played a bit of 3 recently.

I've always assumed it would be up my alley as an Indy fan and a tomb Raider fan...I just never had a PS3 so I never got a chance till now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:25 PM

This is going to be interesting. QT what is your general familiarity with third person shooters in general?

I sat down a couple of months ago with the intention of playing through 2 and 3 with a friend before 4 came out. Turned out to be a hard sell. We skipped right past 1 because the first game was rough even back in 2008 or when ever it came out.

However as great as 2 was when it came out, it felt very outdated when we played it. My friend hated it. Particularly the shooting and combat mechanics. Having played all the Uncharted games I immediately tuned into the gun handling but my friends aim and movement was all over the place. Compared to modern shooters, like The Division, Uncharted 2 felt old. Very cover reliant and rough combat flow.

I am curious to hear what QT thinks. The acting and cinematography still holds up I think but otherwise there's been a lot of water under the bridge in terms of gameplay design change. Personally I am glad I played all 3 though, because it's the story and characters that really matter in the Uncharted games.

This post has been edited by Apt: 02 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:35 PM

View PostApt, on 02 June 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

This is going to be interesting. QT what is your general familiarity with third person shooters in general?

I sat down a couple of months ago with the intention of playing through 2 and 3 with a friend before 4 came out. Turned out to be a hard sell. We skipped right past 1 because the first game was rough even back in 2008 or when ever it came out.

However as great as 2 was when it came out, it felt very outdated when we played it. My friend hated it. Particularly the shooting and combat mechanics. Having played all the Uncharted games I immediately tuned into the gun handling but my friends aim and movement was all over the place. Compared to modern shooters, like The Division, Uncharted 2 felt old. Very cover reliant and rough combat flow.

I am curious to hear what QT thinks. The acting and cinematography still holds up I think but otherwise there's been a lot of water under the bridge in terms of gameplay design change. Personally I am glad I played all 3 though, because it's the story and characters that really matter in the Uncharted games.

For 3rd person shooters I've only really done Call of Duty Black Ops 1 & 2 and Ghosts...which I was only okay at, and I mean my Tomb Raider experience must apply...but most of my experience comes from 2 straight years of DESTINY PvP. And I LOVE exploring and puzzles (seriously. I have played every Tomb Raider game since they came out...with my personal fave being TOMB RAIDER UNDERWORLD for XBox 360)...so that will help.

I'm less fussed about futzy gameplay mechanics on 3rd person shooters...remember I'm old (39!) so I go back a ways with video games and 3rd person shooters like the original SYPHON FILTER (for example).

I've heard the first game is not great game mechanics wise...but I'm happy to bang through it top get to what I hear are great 2nd and 3rd games...and if I like them (I'm sure I will), I'll grab 4 afterwards.

#15 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 June 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

I've heard the first game is not great game mechanics wise...but I'm happy to bang through it top get to what I hear are great 2nd and 3rd games...and if I like them (I'm sure I will), I'll grab 4 afterwards.

Sounds good. I'd recommend playing the games on easy if the combat starts to bog you down.

Uncharted was actually the first third person shooter I ever played with a dual shock controller. So Uncharted basically taught me how dual sticks work. Definitely a challenge when I originally played it but much more passable when you have experience.

#16 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

Within the last 6 months or so I have played through 2, 3 and 4.

I disagree wuth you Apt. 4 looks the best, no contest but 2 for me is the best game of them all by far.

#17 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:10 PM

I've always had a passing interest in the series since the lead writer Amy Henning wrote the Legacy of Kain games which is my gold standard for storytelling in games.

But its platform exclusivity meant it would always stay only that.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#18 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

I played Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 for the very first time over the past month (on the PS3, not the remastered collection). I found them to be very entertaining to play games (the second one especially) with some truly awesome voice acting and set pieces. Overall, though, they felt overhyped, considering how much gushing praise I'd heard about them over the years. They didn't stick with me in the same way some games do, and I can already feel myself forgetting what happened in them. The gunplay was fiddly to say the least (though this did improve over the three games), and talk about holding your hand through the puzzles! As for the story, well I'm afraid Ment, that Amy Hennig told the exact same story three times. I mean, exactly the same, with the same beats, the same or very similar set pieces, the same people getting shot, the same twists, the same endings. Three times. Don't get me wrong, that story is entertaining (if totally nonsensical in parts), but to say that the sequels iterated heavily on the original plot-wise is understating it.

I admit that I may be judging the games a bit harshly. I'm looking at them through the prism of already having played the really good Tomb Raider reboot games, which of course borrowed a lot of things from the Uncharted series. As products of their years, I can see why they would be groundbreaking. They are excellent games, still now (and still look gorgeous), they're just not without their flaws (as some of the reviews I've read, of 2 and 3 especially, which sometimes seem to suggest they're flawless).

I've just started playing Uncharted 4 this week. You can tell they've got different writers on it straight away, and I think it's given the game a breath of fresh air. I'm glad I've very recently played the first three, because there's a megaton of in-jokes so far in 4.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#19 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

I'm in almost complete agreement with Khell on this one: especially the first game was a let down for me, largely around the controls and plot, and the graphics felt awfully outdated (though I may just be a bit overexposed to modern graphics at the moment to compare fairly).

Coming off the frankly fantastic new Tomb Raider, which was much more polished, controlled better, had a better, more intriguing and less cliche plot, along with much shinier graphics and awesome location... Well, Uncharted didn't stand a chance.

The second game was better, mostly because they tightened up the controls, I think, and committed to a more cinematic experience, which played to the game's strengths.

But it was also the last one I played in the series since I got distracted by the much, much, astronomically better Rise of the Tomb Raider. I doubt 3 or 4 could have improved on the formula enough to even scrape those two in basically any category. :p

Doesn't help that the hype for the games as essentially console sellers was so misplaced. They're just good, not great. Even looking back at the time, I think a lot of the love for these games was borne of lack of options in the genre. There's no other reason for the gushing, really.

Still, they're worth a go. And I may eventually get around to playing 3, but I can't say it's something I'm actively planning on doing or looking forward to.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

Oh, you youngsters! LOL

I go back to BEFORE there were video games at all. I played PONG and ARKENOID as a kid. No anout of shittier graphics or hinky gameplay mechanics are ever going to stall me.

Anyways, I have made it through the first two major sections/chapters of DRAKE'S FORTUNE so far (the prologue on the boat, the El Dorado section, and the U-Boat in jungle bit) and so far I think it's pretty damned good. Love the story, but I think that hinges on the (mostly) stellar voice acting (especially Nolan North....who I'd only known of from his turn as replacement in DESTINY) moreso than the plot. The plot is still fun though, so I'm even okay with that.

Are the shooting mechanics fussy? A little, but not overly so (to me). I can still get headshots for the most part. The puzzles are great, intuitive without being obtuse (I assume they get more complex as the game(s) go along) and the graphics are polished up decently enough in the remasters. All in all, I'm having a blast.

As to RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER (which I'd play if they'd not made a deal with Microsoft to DELAY the PS4 release by OVER a year...yeah, I'm still grumpy and irritated about that.) Silencer, though I've not played it yet, my buddy has just got done playing UNCHARTED 4 and says that it's a mind-blowing experience...and I think he called RISE just good.

anyways, I assume if I'm enjoying the first game, I'll enjoy the rest!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users