Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Phaed, Bloodeye & Ruin

#1 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

I was going to do all the kids in Nimander's pack but got sidetracked after Phaed :p I had intended her skin to be a lot darker and thought I had a really clever plan involving color layers but I was being an idiot. Almost so much that I deserved the punishment of re-shading manually.
I wasn't sure about the eyes, should it be only the iris that's colored? In my head it's not but I might have missed some description somewhere clarifying on that.

Attached File  PhaedV1.jpg (166.59K)
Number of downloads: 22

I've relocated for the summer and didn't bring any MBotF (ok maybe GotM) and I couldn't remember much of what the background was like in this scene, except for the Wyval and general destruction. There's a description of Ruin's state (I don't know what "mostly torn-off" armor looks like and couldn't improvise very well) over at the encyclopedia but again, I had nothing on Bloodeye as far as what he was wearing etc. I have to say though that apart from what he's wearing (my reading mind is not that specific), he ended up looking a lot like what he looks like in my head. The other one was harder to grasp.

Attached File  RuinBloodEyecolorV2.jpg (286.75K)
Number of downloads: 21

As always, feedback appreciated :p

This post has been edited by Isolde: 28 June 2011 - 04:53 AM

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

The thing about the Tiste people is that they aren't supposed to look human. They are humanoid but not human. Their facial structure is different as far as I recall. Wider faces. Bigger more colorful eyes. Angular bone structure or something. The way you have them drawn now they just look like various human races.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

The Phaed one actually shouldn't be darker, because somewhere in her bloodline is Lady Envy. i can't remember if her hair should be white. Regardless it's a very nice pic.

The Silch/Scabby pic works, I really like the look on Silch's face, like he knows what's coming and doesn't care. The dragons in the background are a nice touch.
Scabby should be covered in blood, hence his nickname. I can't remember which one of them is supposed to be wearing a Matron's skin. if it was Scabby, it could also be a bitmore rough and bloody, given that he had just removed it for its owner recently. And not that i spend much time looking or anything, but why does Silch have lightning going into his pants?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 June 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

And not that i spend much time looking or anything, but why does Silch have lightning going into his pants?

Where are you looking, Abyss? I had to spend a a couple of minutes to see THAT.. But my guess is these are veins. Well, I hope they are.

The cuts look painted on.. This Tutorial here is quite nice when it comes to bruises and cuts, I think.

Aside from that, I like Silch's face.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#5 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:45 AM

View PostPennyapt, on 27 June 2011 - 08:41 PM, said:

The thing about the Tiste people is that they aren't supposed to look human. They are humanoid but not human. Their facial structure is different as far as I recall. Wider faces. Bigger more colorful eyes. Angular bone structure or something. The way you have them drawn now they just look like various human races.

Fair enough, I just don't know that I get any of that into my head while reading. Apart from the eyes, the height and obviously the skin color I can't remember him specifying any particular characteristics and I guess my imagination isn't wild enough to cook something up :p

The Phaed one actually shouldn't be darker, because somewhere in her bloodline is Lady Envy. i can't remember if her hair should be white. Regardless it's a very nice pic.

The Silch/Scabby pic works, I really like the look on Silch's face, like he knows what's coming and doesn't care. The dragons in the background are a nice touch.
Scabby should be covered in blood, hence his nickname. I can't remember which one of them is supposed to be wearing a Matron's skin. if it was Scabby, it could also be a bitmore rough and bloody, given that he had just removed it for its owner recently. And not that i spend much time looking or anything, but why does Silch have lightning going into his pants?

I had forgotten that about Phaed. And thank you :p

Haha! Well Puck is right it was supposed to be veins, to be honest I didn't think anyone would see it with the pic being so small. I removed the offending veins, can't be having lightning going into his pants.
Ah dammit, now that you say it I remember the Matron skin, pretty sure it was Scabby.

View PostPuck, on 27 June 2011 - 09:36 PM, said:

And not that i spend much time looking or anything, but why does Silch have lightning going into his pants?

Where are you looking, Abyss? I had to spend a a couple of minutes to see THAT.. But my guess is these are veins. Well, I hope they are.

The cuts look painted on.. This Tutorial here is quite nice when it comes to bruises and cuts, I think.

Aside from that, I like Silch's face.

Well they were :p Thanks for the tutorial, it has some pretty good stuff in it.

This post has been edited by Isolde: 28 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

View PostIsolde, on 28 June 2011 - 04:45 AM, said:

View PostPennyapt, on 27 June 2011 - 08:41 PM, said:

Fair enough, I just don't know that I get any of that into my head while reading. Apart from the eyes, the height and obviously the skin color I can't remember him specifying any particular characteristics and I guess my imagination isn't wild enough to cook something up :p

I think that's pretty normal. Doesn't matter how much detail an author gives us, you usually make your own pictures in your mind. For example, even though half the cast in the MBOTF are black and brown or blue they're still white for some reason when I think of them.

#7 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Quite like the paintings, the atmosphere in them is spot on!

However, there are some minor anatomical issues, like Ruin's forearms compared to his upper arms, and the big empty area between Ruin's pecs and abs...

Also: Moar blood!!!
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#8 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

Thank you darling :p

I have no excuse for the forearms, a possible explanation is an angle being lost somewhere, I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out. As for the torso, big fan as I am of the male anatomy, the ancient greeks would not have hired me. And I wanted more blood too but every attempt was a massive fail. If you stumble across a blood tutorial I would love to have it haha

#9 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hey Isolde, thats great work you have up there!

Phaed looks amazing :)I like her features, especially her eyes.

I think with all the above advice already given your image of scabandari and silchus is incredible.
there are things you could still try to energize the drama within the image.

lighting: you have a good sense of composition, I feel that you may be underplaying your artwork. Grim helped
you with values last time around and I think it shows in your current work, the next step is how you address
your lighting. You have two powerful sources of light. one a white streak of lightening the other a red volcano.
You should try introducing that strong light to the silhouette of your figures, use it to outline your
characters. remember lighting looks more dramatic in contrast so try darken your originals to make any lighting
work you do stand out.

Dynamism: It took me a while to see the volcano. thats unfortunate because it makes the dragons fighting in the background
so much more dynamic! you should add more lava detail to its eruption and the slope around it. also you have three
primal elements; fire (erupting volcano), earth (mountains) and wind (billowing ash cloud). you almost expect a body
of water. It would reflect the bright lighting and add to the energy between the two figures (which you have placed
in perfect tension)

Heres a redline of how I think this all can work out.

Attached File  lights and values.jpg (78.25K)
Number of downloads: 10

I hope this helps you. If you add more blood on scabby, watch for the glistening effect. the only way to tell a wet
surface from a dry one is in the way the light reflects off it.

This post has been edited by Dolmen: 08 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#10 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

Wow, thank you Dolmen ;) It's incredible how much difference those few changes made. I really appreciate the lesson, you explain things well. And I never thought of putting a lake there but you're right, it looks amazing.
I will try to re-work it and see how it goes.

#11 User is offline   Ilona 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Omigosh! You know, I had actually been contemplating on asking you to draw Silchas... ;) Love the pic, although as people have already pointed out, moar blood would have been ace. As it is he looks a bit too clean for having fought to the point of having his armour cut to pieces while still wearing it.

Oh yeah and Phaed is gorgeous, and the look on her face fits her perfectly.
It was ever thus.

#12 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Excellent paintover, Dolmen. That really gave the painting the little extra :no
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#13 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm telling you, paintovers is like my new favorite thing :no

Omigosh! You know, I had actually been contemplating on asking you to draw Silchas... public/style_emoticons/Malazan/happy.gif Love the pic, although as people have already pointed out, moar blood would have been ace. As it is he looks a bit too clean for having fought to the point of having his armour cut to pieces while still wearing it.

Oh yeah and Phaed is gorgeous, and the look on her face fits her perfectly.

Thank you, thank you!
Haha, it might be us northerners relating to the pastiness of the albino :p

#14 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

derpderpderp, I just sent a rep saying I liked your "Ruin/Shorn" pic. By that, I obviously ment "Ruin/Bloodeye"
either way, its awesome.
QBFTW!

#15 User is offline   Paul Galvin 

• Recruit

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

I'm not big art critic, but you captured Phaed very well to me. If you hadn't labeled her and said "who's that character" I would have picked Phaed I believe.

This post has been edited by Paul Galvin: 16 September 2011 - 07:48 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users