• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starz AMERICAN GODS Updated: Bryan Fuller's Version

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Huh, looks like ANANSI BOYS may be getting its own miniseries.

http://www.bleedingc...an-gods-series/

Also GOOD OMENS TV series? what the? Had anyone heard about this?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 14 June 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

...Abyss, I think you're underestimating the patience and willingness to work at it of both HBO and their viewers. The Wire made five seasons, after all. American Gods will need bigger numbers to survive but then Gaiman's name will provide those.

Can't draw any analogy to the Wire. That show operates in a whole other field from GoT and fantasy. It legitimized decades of bad police procedural shows on the networks.

That said, i agree with you that Gaiman's name will add HUGE cred. I'm just wondering whether the core concept, Gods living among people, will have legs. The potential to be ham-handed or too subtle is high.

GRIMM and EVER AFTER will be a good tiral for the non-cable audience's appetite for this sort of thing.

TERRA NOVA... i want to say it's got possibilities, but as we're seeing with FALLING SKIES, when you need an fx budget to make the primary advesary (aliens or dinosaurs) workable, the production tends to fall back on human threats as opposed to big lizards eating people, and any time the audience would rather be seeing the thing you aren't showing, it bodes ill. every time we have to sit through 44 minutes of 'waaah, we came back in time and now that bad man is doing bad stuff' rather than 'holy fuck velociraptors RUN ARGHH!' they're going to lose a .3 ratings share and when it drops below 1.0, look for the cancellation bear to chomp down hard.

But i'm an optimistic cynic and hope i'm wrong.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 June 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

TERRA NOVA... i want to say it's got possibilities, but as we're seeing with FALLING SKIES, when you need an fx budget to make the primary advesary (aliens or dinosaurs) workable, the production tends to fall back on human threats as opposed to big lizards eating people, and any time the audience would rather be seeing the thing you aren't showing, it bodes ill.

Well, but a big part of TERRA NOVA (and FALLING SKIES) will be how human civilization re-organizes itself after a major paradigm shift, so in that context, I think it's appropriate. It just needs to be done right, which is where FALLING SKIES is...well, falling down.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#24 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

GRIMM and EVER AFTER will be a good tiral for the non-cable audience's appetite for this sort of thing.

The success of Supernatural suggests it has some. Grimm in particular is clearly aiming at that market. Once Upon a Time, tbh, looks a little like they wanted to make Fables but didn't want to pay for the rights... >_>
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 28 June 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

TERRA NOVA... i want to say it's got possibilities, but as we're seeing with FALLING SKIES, when you need an fx budget to make the primary advesary (aliens or dinosaurs) workable, the production tends to fall back on human threats as opposed to big lizards eating people, and any time the audience would rather be seeing the thing you aren't showing, it bodes ill.

Well, but a big part of TERRA NOVA (and FALLING SKIES) will be how human civilization re-organizes itself after a major paradigm shift, so in that context, I think it's appropriate. It just needs to be done right, which is where FALLING SKIES is...well, falling down.

Nope. It's needs to be done with FRIKKIN DINOSAURS EATING PEOPLE'S FACES OFF AT LEAST ONCE PER ESPISODE. Because the average tv viewer doesn't give a crap about a study in human civilization re-org unless there is a T-rex running for mayor and someone rigging a pterodactyl with a chain gun.

Which is sideways why BSG succeeded and CAPRICA failed, btw.

View Postpolishgenius, on 28 June 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

The success of Supernatural suggests it has some. Grimm in particular is clearly aiming at that market.

SUPERNATURAL is the format successor to BUFFY/ANGEL - hot post-teen cast kills fantasy stuff with witty banter - and has seen impressive success on that level. GRIMM appears to be trying to go tete-a-tete with SUPERN' and i'm not sure the market will reward the effort but hey, points for trying.

But this...

Once Upon a Time, tbh, looks a little like they wanted to make Fables but didn't want to pay for the rights... >_>

...is exactly right and likely to fail for that reason.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Gaiman has updated us on AMERICAN GODS's status. A third draft of the pilot script has been developed and HBO seem to be pretty happy with it. Still no word on a timetable going forwards though.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Though this fell apart at HBO...it was announced that now STARZ is having a crack at it. Let's hope this one gets off the ground!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 July 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Though this fell apart at HBO...it was announced that now STARZ is having a crack at it. Let's hope this one gets off the ground!

And Bryan Fuller is co-producer. Though not showrunner (obviously, because that would interfere with Hannibal).
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#29 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 02 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 July 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

And Bryan Fuller is co-producer. Though not showrunner (obviously, because that would interfere with Hannibal).

I think Fuller may also be sharing some writing duties as well. Either way, that's a great thing!

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

Well, a few years later and back on track and now totally Greenlit is Bryan Fuller's version with Starz!

http://io9.com/bryan...een-1711743172#

Hopefully this means we will finally get the show.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

This is funny. Ridiculously uninformed internet blogger does ZERO research, calls the casting of (mixed race) Ricky Whittle for Shadow "whitewashing" (an actor who is literally EXACTLY how Shadow is described in the book no less), links to an Vanity Fair article that says nothing of the sort...gets called out by Gaiman on FB and twitter, and is currently being shown the error of doing no research by being called out by the entire internet for being a dumb dumb.

Eep, sorry all. It got taken down. Obviously someone at the site editorial staff realized it was getting hammered by people who can....ya know...read and have eyes to see.

And they simply moved the article now...it's back up completely with comments.

FAIR WARNING, throw on your ad-blocker, or pop-up blocker before clicking the link. Lots of ads.

UPDATE: Site offered an apology now, and will be taking down the article. It's funny that all it took was NG posting it to twitter and FB to shut it down in less than a few hours.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

#32 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hmmm, by everyone's reaction, I guess I need to check out these books.
I wish I was rich and retired and had all the time in the world so I could squeeze this in easier.
...and then I get a flashback to that twilight zone episode where the guy is the last man on earth and has all the time to read all the books he wants and then breaks his glasses.

/end rambling...
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostBulwyf, on 04 March 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

I wish I was rich and retired and had all the time in the world so I could squeeze this in easier.
...and then I get a flashback to that twilight zone episode where the guy is the last man on earth and has all the time to read all the books he wants and then breaks his glasses.

/end rambling...

It really is a fantastic novel. Aside from STARDUST (which is my absolute fave) it is my second fave Gaiman long form fiction. Once you read it, grab the sequel novella he did in his FRAGILE THINGS compilation which features Shadow too called MONARCH OF THE GLEN.

There is also ANANSI BOYS, but that's more a spinoff featuring one of the gods (Anansi). It's good, but totally different in tone and style. Much more slice-of-life.

#34 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 March 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostBulwyf, on 04 March 2016 - 03:38 PM, said:

/end rambling...

It really is a fantastic novel. Aside from STARDUST (which is my absolute fave) it is my second fave Gaiman long form fiction. Once you read it, grab the sequel novella he did in his FRAGILE THINGS compilation which features Shadow too called MONARCH OF THE GLEN.

There is also ANANSI BOYS, but that's more a spinoff featuring one of the gods (Anansi). It's good, but totally different in tone and style. Much more slice-of-life.

Just picked up the 10th anniversary version on Kindle. :D
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#35 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

Nearly picked up American Gods 2 weeks in Manc when spending a day in transit, went for The City by Stella Gemmell instead.
Might have to kobo this, I haven't watched the 100, but whittle looks like the guy that used to be in trash soap Holyoaks, I can only assume he has learned to act since then.
Mainly, Ian McShane, old lovejoy, he's brilliant

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 March 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

I haven't watched the 100, but whittle looks like the guy that used to be in trash soap Holyoaks, I can only assume he has learned to act since then.

I dunno how he was acting-wise on Holyoaks (he is that guy, BTW), but he's quite excellent as Lincoln on THE 100.

Though Ricky's mom made some recent tweets that seem to imply his time as Lincoln may be over (sounds like behind the scenes crap going on) so at least he's freed up for AG properly.

#37 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

No one on Holyoaks acted well.
Its a trashy british soap that tries to appeal to the younger audience by having attractive, talentless, people on screen.
It used to be (15 years ago) pretty funny because the storylines were set up yo be funny, and the people were clearly having a ball arsing about, but then they tried to get all serious and relevant, but kept the same casting policy of hot chicks and buff men, acting chops not required, not too many have made a career post oaks, fair play to whittle if he's made a go of it

#38 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:50 PM

First trailer.

Nicely done, I thought.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#39 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

Looks damn good!
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#40 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:43 AM

View PostMacros, on 05 March 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

No one on Holyoaks acted well.
Its a trashy british soap that tries to appeal to the younger audience by having attractive, talentless, people on screen.
It used to be (15 years ago) pretty funny because the storylines were set up yo be funny, and the people were clearly having a ball arsing about, but then they tried to get all serious and relevant, but kept the same casting policy of hot chicks and buff men, acting chops not required, not too many have made a career post oaks, fair play to whittle if he's made a go of it

The other person who's notably managed to break out of Hollyoaks is the actress who plays Missandei on Game of Thrones - she was also in the last Fast & Furious.

Edit: And Ricky Whittle was an AWFUL actor in Hollyoaks, even by Hollyoaks standards. I always find it interesting when actors break out of terrible shows (I have a soft spot for Hollyoaks from my uni days, but it is terrible) and show that actually, yes, they can act a bit. Goes to show how critical having the right crew behind the camera is.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 23 July 2016 - 12:51 AM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users