Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Reader

#1 User is offline   The Brush Guy 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

Ok, so I've just started reading Gardens of the Moon for the first time, and I've decided to write an account of my read-through, and my opinions on what I think will happen, which will probably be horrifically wrong. And probably obvious, but please don't post spoilers if I'm not at that part yet.

I'm about 100 pages through and so far its certainly as confusing as people say, so lets get started.

Here is my attempt at surmising the history from the prologue to around page 100 (just after that shit went down at Pale); Emperor Kellenved (spelling?) was assassinated by the leader of those Claw people (who hunt sorcerers I think?) Surly or Laseen or whatever, and I think she basically killed everybody who supported the Emperor.. One thing I don't understand is if the Bridgeburners were the Emperor's favorites, why didn't Laseen kill them? And the girl who was killed/possesed by those two guys (or the witch) is Sorry, I think.

The whole Pale thing was hard to follow. I only realized that it was a flashback when Hairlock got cut in half (I'm pretty slow :/). Also, I don't really get the betrayal thing with Tayschenn (spelling?) but I suppose It'll all get explained soon enough.

Sorry for the short entry, I'm really tired. The other ones will be longer. I promise.

#2 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

With SE he always keeps you guessing. These books can be hard to follow at the best of times so keep with it they are very enjoyable to read.
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#3 User is offline   Pilgrim 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

I would also suggest maybe following along with the re-read at Tor.com. They've already hashed out this whole book, and the insights and commentary are very good. It's done chapter by chapter style. Also, they mostly shy away from spoilers, so you should be safe. Welcome to the board!
Bathtardth! Why you do tha? Hood'th b'eth!
--Emancipor Reese

#4 User is offline   latreille 

• Recruit

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

Like everyone says the first book is hard to follow. ...don't spend too much time re-reading when u get confused cause chances are the questions you're trying to answer by re-reading will be answered further in the book (or series) because as was stated above SE likes to keep us guessing.

#5 User is offline   Tyr 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

Well, GotM did pick up at about page 500 for me. It's best to just sit down and slaughter it quickly so you can move on to that gem of a book, Deadhouse Gates.

#6 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

I honestly never thought GotM was a bad book when I picked it up, nor did I find it at all hard to follow. It didn't take all that long to acclimatise to the setting either, so I've never understood that criticism. It has its flaws certainly, but I never experienced that particular one. *shrugs*
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#7 User is offline   latreille 

• Recruit

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

I would have to agree with tyr on that one.

#8 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:11 AM

View PostMTS, on 11 July 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

I honestly never thought GotM was a bad book when I picked it up, nor did I find it at all hard to follow. It didn't take all that long to acclimatise to the setting either, so I've never understood that criticism. It has its flaws certainly, but I never experienced that particular one. *shrugs*

I'm with MTS, I didnt have a hard time getting into GotM. I was actually super into it when I realized "Holy shit, this dude isn't trying to force feed me a story, he's expecting me to figure out whats going on all on my own" I'm effed in the head I suppose, but I'm all in favor of not having to follow a cut and paste stereotypical novel. The way these books are written, its remarkable if you can follow how things are going to go on your first read through.
You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find, a thousand questions arise.

Deadhouse Gates, Steven Erikson

#9 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

Hi Brush Guy, that summary is actually fine at this point (the flashback confused me too!) You've understood enough to go on with and the questions and vague areas you have are very valid ones.

But to give you a bit of clarity, you're right about Sorry and the Bridgeburners situation is a definite Read And Find Out :p

Although it can be confusing, I can at least tell you that the flashback thing isn't a regular device at all!
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#10 User is offline   boesjwoelie 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

The battle of pale was pretty awesome... Though i never realized it was a flashback until i read your post just now (currently reading the bonehunters)... Talk about a bit slow :rolleyes:
"In a world full of pits and sinkholes, you dance the edges." Ganoes Paran

#11 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

Welcome. GotM was a fun read for me, not some initmidating behmoth.

As someone who is also new(ish) to the series (just about finishing MoI), I'd suggest that you stay away from the Tor reread till you've finished the book. There aren't any spoilers there in the strictest sense. But there are throwaway conclusions there that made me wonder how I'd read the same section and completely whiffed on those conclusions.

Looking forward to your recaps.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Yah, on those re-reads Bill is a notorious over-hinter.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   GanoesSavesTheWorld 

• Corporal

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostDaemonwolf, on 14 July 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

View PostMTS, on 11 July 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm with MTS, I didnt have a hard time getting into GotM. I was actually super into it when I realized "Holy shit, this dude isn't trying to force feed me a story, he's expecting me to figure out whats going on all on my own" I'm effed in the head I suppose, but I'm all in favor of not having to follow a cut and paste stereotypical novel. The way these books are written, its remarkable if you can follow how things are going to go on your first read through.

Totally agree, this is one of the reasons that I LOVED this series right from the outset. Some exposition you see in novels is so clunky, and though it exists in these, it is minimal. And things never seem to go in the direction I expect them to, but not in a negative way. Amazing series. Can't wait to finish it, then read the prequels.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users