Malazan Empire: First review of ADWD - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +

First review of ADWD From Publisher Weekly Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

First review of ADWD.

Generally very positive (and slightly spoilery) but Pub Weekly advises some caution. Whilst the book has many more plot-important events than AFFC due to the presence of Jon, Tyrion and Dany it still has the same 'feel' as AFFC (I presume that means writing style). The review also indicates that the book has a huge climax (the Knot?) but that there's a lot of scene-setting for Book 6 (which of course is years away still) as well.

Not entirely sure how to take that. The review is generally good, and it sounds like there's lots more movement and important events than in AFFC, but there is also that note of caution. Hmm.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 03 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

I'm not expecting the second coming. I actually don't know who is really...at this point, after the fiasco that was AFFC and how it was received, I think folks expectations might be a tad more reasonable this time.

That said, Publisher's Weekly is usually (in my books) really off the mark for how audiences in general and fans react...so I'm not sure I'd call the review a yardstick at all.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

I've been saying for years that this will probably be the fourth best book in the series to date.

#4 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

More characters revived than killed off? Sounds more like Jordan than Martin. Also: the conclusion hints that the next book might be back to form? Hm.

Storylines: Tyrion kidnapped by slavers and Jon's command undermined by treachery could be too close to Brienne's erring through Westeros for my taste. Or Sam's travelogue for that matter.

It might be this book is not what most fans have hoped for. It's a luke-warm review.

#5 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

The 'revived characters' thing probably refers to a certain POV who's returning after a long absence and also to Davos, who was reported dead in AFFC (since we are rewinding to a point before his reported death, and of course reports of his death may be greatly exaggerated), rather than literal resurrections. More character resurrections would be lame at this point (undead wights and UnGregorstein excepted, the latter only if he smashes through the castle roaring, "GREGOR SMASH!").

I was expecting a slow-burning book putting a lot of pieces on the board and moving them into position for the Meereense Knot, the large-scale climax of the book. If that's the case, fair enough (that's also a reasonable description of ACoK and more than a few of SE's books). My ruler for success will be if Dany is still moping around in Meereen at the end of the book. If she is, that would be bad. If she's on her way back to Westeros, that's mission accomplished (at least as far as getting the books done in seven volumes is concerned).

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#6 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostWerthead, on 03 June 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

The 'revived characters' thing probably refers to a certain POV who's returning after a long absence and also to Davos, who was reported dead in AFFC (since we are rewinding to a point before his reported death, and of course reports of his death may be greatly exaggerated), rather than literal resurrections. More character resurrections would be lame at this point (undead wights and UnGregorstein excepted, the latter only if he smashes through the castle roaring, "GREGOR SMASH!").

I was expecting a slow-burning book putting a lot of pieces on the board and moving them into position for the Meereense Knot, the large-scale climax of the book. If that's the case, fair enough (that's also a reasonable description of ACoK and more than a few of SE's books). My ruler for success will be if Dany is still moping around in Meereen at the end of the book. If she is, that would be bad. If she's on her way back to Westeros, that's mission accomplished (at least as far as getting the books done in seven volumes is concerned).

Ok. I actually liked Davos. I wonder if revived refers to Brienne or Loras (was he dead or injured?) The POV you mention, I guess is Theon which is ok. I didn't enjoy him in the book too much, but he comes more to life in the HBO series. Gregor SMASH would be kind of cool -- for a while. Maybe a bit out of character for the series, but ok.

And yes, Dany has to get going in this book.

I just hope Tyrion kidnapped isn't pages and pages of sideplot with the only purpose to delay his arrival at Dany's.

#7 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

View PostWerthead, on 03 June 2011 - 05:55 PM, said:

The review also indicates that the book has a huge climax

I just did too!
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

I don't trust people who don't like AFFC anyway, so this word of caution is a bell tolling "joy".
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

View Postworrywort, on 03 June 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

I don't trust people who don't like AFFC

What a lonely life you must lead.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

No trust is a rather exciting life to lead. Everyone is a stranger!

I found AFfC to be... meh. Worst of the lot by far, but better than some of the crap I've read. That is not a high mark to reach, so neither singing praises or on the verge of burning it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Wieners galore!

#12 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

I don't trust people who don't like AFFC anyway, so this word of caution is a bell tolling "joy".

That's fine if you like AFfC, but after 5 years of waiting most of us want big plot progressions.

#13 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

I'm just over halfway through AFFC. I'm enjoying it, just not as much as the previous ASOI&F titles. Plot progression is an issue, and so far the book just hasn't been as exciting or enthralling as the others. I'm still hoping it will pick up, but my hopes aren't high judging by the book's reputation and opinions on here.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

I'm sure ADWD will have lots of plot progression. And AFFC has plenty, it just doesn't have a climax. But it makes up for in character what it lacks in momentum, I think. Plus Brienne was my #1 most wanted POV, and it paid off wonderfully. Oh well, I'll shut up now. I'm just at maximum optimism level, and comparisons to AFFC get me excited rather than dismayed.

#15 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Flipping heck I think I might have to read through the whole series again just to remind myself who is doing what and where they are... Unless Wert wants to do a basic breakdown of every plotline throughout all the books?? -_-
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 June 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

Flipping heck I think I might have to read through the whole series again just to remind myself who is doing what and where they are... Unless Wert wants to do a basic breakdown of every plotline throughout all the books?? -_-
I've been thinking the same but I've managed with the Wheel of Time, which I've been reading for nearly ten years, without rereads, so I reckon I might just go straight in ADWD without a reread. As long as I can get an idea of where everything 'is' by the time I'm a quarter to a third of a way through, i reckon I'll have remembered enough to keep going with it.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#17 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 June 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

Yup, this is something I'll be doing in a week or two on the blog.

#18 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 June 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm not expecting the second coming. I actually don't know who is really...at this point, after the fiasco that was AFFC and how it was received, I think folks expectations might be a tad more reasonable this time.

It took him 6 years to complete this book (even longer most likely as I seem to remember it was mentioned in AFFC that ADwD was almost finished as well), it better be friggin awesome is what I'm thinking. Not that that will be a problem though, I'm easy to please as long as something happens.

#19 User is offline   FastBen 

• Alchemist
  • Interests:My spec. fiction reviews here at: http://speculativebookreview.blogspot.com/

Also Check out my Tumblr review site, reviewing everything under the sun:

http://dachaublues.tumblr.com/
  • # "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

I completely agree. AFFC was a bit slower, and had more world and character building to it. However, its not nearly as bad as people say - I think its about on par with a Clash of Kings - with a more satisfying ending.

Brienne of Tarth and Jamie Lannister's character development really shined in it - the cliffhangers with Brienne and Podrick as well as the Jamie Lannister's ambiguous response to Cersei's letter was very well done.

This book was not as good as GoT or SoS but its still better than 95% of the crap fantasy genre. I completely wouldn't trust anyone's opinion who'd say it was a bad read.
  • "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead"

#20 User is offline   Cobbles 

• Captain

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostCobbles, on 03 June 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

I just hope Tyrion kidnapped isn't pages and pages of sideplot with the only purpose to delay his arrival at Dany's.

Quoting myself here.

After watching the HBO show, I can't stop thinking that kidnapping Tyrion gets kind of old. So, he was kidnapped by Catelyn first, then he was 'kidnapped'/'ransomed' by the hill tribes (well kind of). Then he ends up in the dungeons in Kings Landing (ok, so not technically kidnapped) and now he gets kidnapped again? Can't he stay out of trouble for once? You would think he should have learned by now.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users