• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#381 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

View Postamphibian, on 13 February 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

There are moments in One Piece where the main characters do directly face loss from war and violence - but they are mostly after Water7, which is a long ways into the series. Looking back on the show from the present day reveals a growing willingness to deal with that issue and with showing people recovering and dealing with the costs of violence, but it's still nowhere near the Beserk levels you mention (I'm not very familiar with that series yet) or Evangelion levels (in which people die or get hurt all the time).

Yepp probably a reason I think most of the "best" parts of OP is after Water7 or possibly begining there. :p

View Postamphibian, on 13 February 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

It's a weird thing that for One Piece to show blood seeping down is not going to fly, but for it to deal extensively with trans/cross-dressers and having lots of references to sexual ambiguity or lust are fine. Oh well, at least it's progressive in a few areas.

I put that up to Japanese culture it's not american values on display with all its religious morals. The japanese I'd say put sexuality and violence at about equal not to be shown level while americans are damn shy about anything vaguely sexual.

This post has been edited by Chance: 13 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

#382 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostChance, on 12 February 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 12 February 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 12 February 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Just watch out for the fillers some are truly attrocious and there are quite a few from about ep 50 and forward :p It ain't long arcs as much as in Bleach or Naruto but mostly episodes in the middle and between arcs and shorter arcs of a few episodes. List of Fillers

Almost all of those "fillers" are still worth watching. The only ones worth skipping through are the recaps of how people joined the crew.

Edit: Took a further look at the list and the list's creator "Superbuu". The kid is an idiot and his tastes don't align that much with QuickTidal's. I'm not saying I'm that much better at it, but I think he'll enjoy most of the perceived filler.

I have no idea why people hate the Davyback arc so much. It gave us Afro Luffy!

Id still keep an eye out for the filler arcs even if I'd intent to watch them...its useful to know why the mainstory took a 4-5 episode paus or decended into rather poor comedy and why the current arc is about something completly unrelated to the episode/arc before-after.

Read or Die (The TV series) did it the exact opposite. The main episodes were far more comedic, though they did still often have some action/violence/drama and then there's a couple episodes that seem to start as just boring filler and then HOLY SHIT COLD BLOODED MURDER HAPPENS WTF THIS SHOW WAS SO HAPPY

and now I can never trust filler episodes ever again

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#383 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostD, on 13 February 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

Read or Die (The TV series) did it the exact opposite. The main episodes were far more comedic, though they did still often have some action/violence/drama and then there's a couple episodes that seem to start as just boring filler and then HOLY SHIT COLD BLOODED MURDER HAPPENS WTF THIS SHOW WAS SO HAPPY

Ah READ OR DIE. Remember when Amanda Winn Lee, Jason Lee, Matt Greenfield and the crew at ADV Films were the very height of Anime licensing? Gods the implosion of that company was one of the more spectacular trainwrecks in North American Anime history. It's so funny that they thought they were doing the best things for the industry and every decision they made was the absolute wrong one. Then to have FUNimation come along and do all those things, but do them RIGHT, must have stung. I still recall someone at Anime North in like '99 asking at the ADV panel why they chose to only have discs with 4 eps a piece on them and then charge upwards of $60 for it...and I think it was Greenfield...he simply din't have a proper answer. The proper answer Mister Greenfield was "We are greedy, and like to chew off the arm that feeds us".

Was it FUNimation who were the first to release full season sets (13-24 eps) on DVD? At least then you could justify $50-60 per set.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#384 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

I watched Baccano! and was somewhat overwhelmed. This may be the first time being annoyed by a dub for me, because the accents were absolutely atrocious. Few of the characters were likable, most were FUCKING insane, and there were far too many monologues. Got bored pretty quickly. I watched the first few episodes of Jyu-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King, and despite my abhorrence for titles with a colon, it's actually intriguing. So we'll see.

#385 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

Really? I thought the dub was amazing, one of the few stand-out dubs around! And the characters were very much insane...and that made them likeable! Didn't notice the monologues, tbh. Baccano, to me, was very 'Malazan', in the sense of all the characters being crazy and a bit of a weird plot. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#386 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

Certain characters were fine, I liked a lot of the Mafia people, but got a few of them mixed up. I loved Jacuzzi's gang. I hated Vino, I hated the mechanic guy, and I hated Lazz (sp?). I tolerated Isaac and Muriel. The problem was that the characters I loved were the rarer scenes, while the characters I despised got entire episodes. There were two or three amazing episodes, but I feel the show could have been cut down immensely and let me enjoy it more in the process.

The accents were too fake. I love the voice actors, eg Luck was the guy who voiced Hei in Darker than Black. But the accents were horribly fake for the most part.

#387 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

Read or die is on my too watch list, as are several other titles. I know i need to resume watching monster and cassherns sins.

#388 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

View PostJLV, on 17 February 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

Certain characters were fine, I liked a lot of the Mafia people, but got a few of them mixed up. I loved Jacuzzi's gang. I hated Vino, I hated the mechanic guy, and I hated Lazz (sp?). I tolerated Isaac and Muriel. The problem was that the characters I loved were the rarer scenes, while the characters I despised got entire episodes. There were two or three amazing episodes, but I feel the show could have been cut down immensely and let me enjoy it more in the process.

The accents were too fake. I love the voice actors, eg Luck was the guy who voiced Hei in Darker than Black. But the accents were horribly fake for the most part.

Yeah, the Mafia/Cammorra people were my fav characters too - Firo ("He seems like a protagonist") in particular did NOT get enough screen time for badassery. I think Vino is a remarkably inexplicable character, but he DOES monologue, a LOT, and the lack of explanation behind him (I mean, seriously, is he God or what? XD) makes him kinda infuriating. And that scene on top of the train with Ladd? Fuuuuuuuu. But it was, for me at least, a good fuuuuuuu. XD The mechanic guy (and everything that happened therein) was an epilogue of sorts - but if you consider who his 'Boss' is, he at least makes sense. And I kinda liked that there were so many flat-out deranged people hanging around. But yeah, MOAR MAFIA ON SCREEN PLZ. I think part of the issue here is that it was a series of Light Novels (like Melancholy), but the adaptation was not as well done - you felt it was too long, Worry (iirc) thought it could go with two seasons instead and be a bit more comprehensible/detailed. We certainly could have done with more stuff from Firo. >.<

As for the accents...as someone who lives far, far away from America, and is much removed from 1920's New York in both time AND space, all I have for reference here are gangster films, mafia computer games, and a vague mix of American accents I have heard here and there over the years. In this sense, the first two? They agree fairly well, and are matched with Baccano. The last one disagrees with both. Thus I was quite happy with the accents, given I know the feel they were going for (that is to say; every gangster movie EVAR). *shrug*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#389 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

My order for ONE PIECE collection DVD's kept getting fucked up by Amazon, they'd say it was shipped and it wasn't, and then again and wasn't. Really messed. When I contacted them they told me that the computer thought that they had them in a local warehouse, but they don't and it would have to come form the states...madness. I cancelled my order, and will pick up the sets when I see them at the store instead, or wait for the dubs I am stuck at to re-appear...or barring all that watch the subs (which might be tough now that I've been watching the dubs for so long).

At any rate, turns out that iTunes FMA: Brotherhood is on $77 for the HD version, with a much more respectable $50 for the first 26 eps in SD. May download those and have a go...and I NEED to catch up with BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES. My gf is going away to FLA for a week starting Monday, so next week is Anime week. That includes going out to see Studio Ghibli's latest ARRIETTY.

:Oops:
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#390 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

I've also heard good things about SPICE & WOLF. But I need to reign myself in and not attempt to watch too much.

#391 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

^Yeah, THAT is always a big problem.

Right now, even...2am...only got home from work at midnight, but even so - "just one more episode"...WHAM EPISODE/ENDING OF DOOOOOOOM. "Well, fuck." XD

Shinrei said:

#392 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Um, I am going to put this in the HOLY SHIT! category k?

Anyone else aware they were making a live action RUROUNI KENSHIN film?!

Sweet gods, teenage Scott is FREAKING OUT WITH AWESOME!

#393 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

That anime got incredibly awful once Studio Gallop stopped animating it. This isn't necessarily because of the animators, more because the story the first arc was shit.

#394 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 February 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

My order for ONE PIECE collection DVD's kept getting fucked up by Amazon, they'd say it was shipped and it wasn't, and then again and wasn't. Really messed. When I contacted them they told me that the computer thought that they had them in a local warehouse, but they don't and it would have to come form the states...madness. I cancelled my order, and will pick up the sets when I see them at the store instead, or wait for the dubs I am stuck at to re-appear...or barring all that watch the subs (which might be tough now that I've been watching the dubs for so long).

At any rate, turns out that iTunes FMA: Brotherhood is on $77 for the HD version, with a much more respectable $50 for the first 26 eps in SD. May download those and have a go...and I NEED to catch up with BODACIOUS SPACE PIRATES. My gf is going away to FLA for a week starting Monday, so next week is Anime week. That includes going out to see Studio Ghibli's latest ARRIETTY.

woah woah woah there, you're buying entire series off amazon? Give this site a check first. They're an anime/manga/merchandise wholesaler and rotate stock often with sales every week.
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

Seriously you can save a lot of money of buying off them. I Just looked up OP and you can get eps 1-26 for 20$ USD (without shipping). IF shipping is a bit of a cost issue for you, just save up money for a huge order. Order of over 150$ have free shipping iirc. I've used the service myself a few times. Shipping to canada takes around 3-4 week but it's definetively worht the cost savings. With shipping and taxes i was able to purchase the count of monte cristo (26 episodes) for 27$

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 17 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

#395 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 17 February 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

woah woah woah there, you're buying entire series off amazon? Give this site a check first. They're an anime/manga/merchandise wholesaler and rotate stock often with sales every week.

Seriously you can save a lot of money of buying off them. I Just looked up OP and you can get eps 1-26 for 20$ USD (without shipping). IF shipping is a bit of a cost issue for you, just save up money for a huge order. Order of over 150$ have free shipping iirc. I've used the service myself a few times. Shipping to canada takes around 3-4 week but it's definetively worht the cost savings. With shipping and taxes i was able to purchase the count of monte cristo (26 episodes) for 27$

Hmm, quite an interesting site Balrog Lord. Thanks! :p

It would appear I could save over $30 ordering from them. Sweet. Muchos gracias!

#396 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Has anyone on here seen or read the manga called Berserk?

If you haven't I would highly recomend it.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#397 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I've seen the anime, haven't read the originals. Thought it was fantastic though and wish it had been continued beyond one season.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#398 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

View Postworrywort, on 17 February 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

I've seen the anime, haven't read the originals. Thought it was fantastic though and wish it had been continued beyond one season.

Yeah the manga's cool but they should have continued to make the anime. The series gets really good afterward. The dvd's cover from book one to book twelve and Kentaro Miura has done like 35 and still going. The music in the series was also great and the animation was perfect for what they wanted to achieve.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#399 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 February 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

View PostBalrogLord, on 17 February 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

Hmm, quite an interesting site Balrog Lord. Thanks! :p

It would appear I could save over $30 ordering from them. Sweet. Muchos gracias!

See, this is what I don't get. You get proper anime films in the cinema (Arriety looks like it'd be a trip down memory lane...I used to love 'The Borrowers' when I was a kid, and this is pretty much that, but anime, and made by Ghibli! O.o) but you still buy series off Amazon US? Even *I* have like two or three NZ-based places I can order anime from for a fraction of the cost of shipping it from overseas. :S Weird. :p

EDIT: Wow. By the time you're halfway through Durarara!!, you really sometimes feel like shouting "IZAAAYAAAAA!!!!" *exactly* the way Shizuo does. O.o

Shinrei said:

#400 User is offline   blanketman2.0 

• Sergeant

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostGrimjazz, on 17 February 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 17 February 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Yeah the manga's cool but they should have continued to make the anime. The series gets really good afterward. The dvd's cover from book one to book twelve and Kentaro Miura has done like 35 and still going. The music in the series was also great and the animation was perfect for what they wanted to achieve.

there making a movie remake and continuing the story up to the fantasia arc for berserk
blankets are always in style

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

33 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users