• You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#241 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 January 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

I dont remember which one of these it is but while 1 worked great the other completely fucked our old computer up with virius forceing us to get these 2 new ones Nov 2010.

A virus should generally not screw your computer up that badly. I bet it was fixable. Make sure you get a techno-skilled friend to give your computers a lookover for virus protection etc.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#242 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

OK, excuse me while I fangasm a bit for a moment here...

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG BEE TRAIN'S ADAPTATION OF 'PHANTOM OF INFERNO' (worst title ever - "Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom", for the anime itself) AUGH MAN SO MUCH WIN.

Alright, I'm a pretty excessive fanboy of BT's 'Girls with Guns' trilogy (Noir, Madlax [though less so for this entry], El Cazador de la Bruja) - Noir in particular. I'm also ridiculously in love with Darker than Black. So when I hear that BT have done an adaptation of a visual novel that pretty much is Noir meets Darker than Black...well, you can imagine the girlish squeeing of delight that filled my house.

Now, I'm not going to lie - Phantom is not as good, either as a result of the adaptation or simply in general, I don't know, as either Noir or DtB. BUT HOLY FUCK it is still really awesome!

I've heard people bitch and moan about the ending...I have no idea why. THE ENDING WAS FUCKING AWESOME. DO NOT SPOIL YOURSELF FOR THE ENDING BTW.

So, if you're out of things to watch, and liked either Darker than Black or Noir (or are, like myself, a shameless fan of Bee Train's style of storytelling), you SHOULD CHECK THIS ONE OUT TOO.

...to illustrate how much of a blatant fanboy moment I had over this...I learned about it in the middle of watching Code Geass R2. Literally, episode 13 of said series. I proceeded to stop watching that. Obtained Phantom. Spent the entire next day watching the series. I got to episode 6ish around 5pm, was thinking how much it reminded me of Noir, in the sense that it felt like I'd already watched ten or twenty episodes. Was moderately interested at this point. Next thing I know, it's TWO IN THE FRICKIN MORNING and I'm on the last episode.
I watched 26 episodes in a day. While in the middle of Code Geass (which is pretty good, but I'll grant you nothing super-awesome), after spending the past week pointing out to myself that I needed to actually finish the stuff on my list rather than start new things. I have no willpower when it comes to Bee Train and Noir-themed productions, it seems. XD

For those of you who might have tl;dr'd - 'Phatom ~ Requiem for the Phantom', is what you're after. :D

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#243 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

thats definitely on netflix. The phantom thing, that is. My main problem is that i despise the "Girl's with guns" section of anime (as in, 90% of anime).

Does phantom blah blah blah follow noir in that?

We're giving east of eden a try right now, any word on if thats good or not?

Was going to watch Monster, but they only have it in Sub.. I can give a more comprehensive list next time I go up there.

#244 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Eden of the east*

#245 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

EVANGELION 3.0 English dub film version now has a title:

EVANGELION 3.0: YOU CAN (NOT) REDO

*rubs hands* this is going to be another Epic Scott-goes-to-see-Anime-in-the-theatre excursion! Woot!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#246 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostJLV, on 05 January 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

thats definitely on netflix. The phantom thing, that is. My main problem is that i despise the "Girl's with guns" section of anime (as in, 90% of anime).

Does phantom blah blah blah follow noir in that?

Was going to watch Monster, but they only have it in Sub.. I can give a more comprehensive list next time I go up there.

What the f*ck is wrong with you? XD And GwG is only like 2% of anime - 90% of anime is "generic shonen fighter series X", good sir (and my personal disliked section, proof that the other 10% is worth dying for and all that ;)).

As for Phantom...I wouldn't say so. Stylistically it's closer to Darker than Black, but it hits a few thematic and plot points from Noir et al, given it got the Bee Train treatment. The main protagonist is even a guy!
But you should check out the first episode or two (I believe FUNimation has them on YouTube as well?) to see for yourself. :p They're *fairly* indicative.

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 January 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

EVANGELION 3.0 English dub film version now has a title:

EVANGELION 3.0: YOU CAN (NOT) REDO

*rubs hands* this is going to be another Epic Scott-goes-to-see-Anime-in-the-theatre excursion! Woot!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Release is something like Fall 2012, right? That's the last I heard.

Also, can I just say...this is one very good reason to hate you, Quick. Because I don't get to see this in any theaters. Oh no. Not for me. Rawr.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#247 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

i must say the evangelion rebuilds are much better then the original.

#248 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostJLV, on 05 January 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Its strange and brillitant at times.

Not best of the best but certainly pretty good.

Currently watching Nurarihyon no Mago which is so-so but its likable and the art is occationally very pretty. Perfect for watching while doing what feels like countless pages of masters thesis spellchecking.

/Chance

This post has been edited by Chance: 06 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

#249 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

eden of the east is interesting if nothing else. Not a fan of any of the characters cept main character.

#250 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostSilencer, on 05 January 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Release is something like Fall 2012, right? That's the last I heard.

Also, can I just say...this is one very good reason to hate you, Quick. Because I don't get to see this in any theaters. Oh no. Not for me. Rawr.

Haha, yes I do feel special. Living in Toronto (where obscure stuff gets released) has its perks. I got to see EVA 1.0, COWBOY BEEBOP, PAPRIKA, in the theatre and actually fairly recently they reran SUMMER WARS at a local theatre and I swung out to catch it again as well.

You think I'm lucky...what about Shinrei, he LIVES in Japan. They run all of them there! (I'm ignoring the fact that they likely run sans-subtitles there)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#251 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 06 January 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

Speaking as someone who watched ALL the episodes of the TV series (and loved it), then watched both the movies DEATH & REBIRTH and END OF EVANGELION with the new ending (which I Loved even more!)...I loved this series so much my friend and I silk screened our own nerdy Eva t-shirts before any were available over here...

...and yeah, the REBUILD's are actually blowing my mind. Not simply the redone animation, but the addition of new characters, and the modification of others to suit the story better. Everything just feels like it flows with much more cohesion this time (while still being totally fucked up).

Love it.

Oh and lastly, am I the only one who when I screw up around a friend I'll say "It's your fault! Thought noise!"...? No...just me then?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

#252 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 January 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostBalrogLord, on 06 January 2012 - 03:25 AM, said:

Speaking as someone who watched ALL the episodes of the TV series (and loved it), then watched both the movies DEATH & REBIRTH and END OF EVANGELION with the new ending (which I Loved even more!)...I loved this series so much my friend and I silk screened our own nerdy Eva t-shirts before any were available over here...

...and yeah, the REBUILD's are actually blowing my mind. Not simply the redone animation, but the addition of new characters, and the modification of others to suit the story better. Everything just feels like it flows with much more cohesion this time (while still being totally fucked up).

Love it.

Oh and lastly, am I the only one who when I screw up around a friend I'll say "It's your fault! Thought noise!"...? No...just me then?

I just finished rewatching 2.22 because of this thread, and it reminded me how, imnsho, the last fifteen minutes or so of that film are potentially some of the most powerful in all of cinema, animated or otherwise. I mean, holy crap...if Rebuild didn't stand out before then, it sure as hell blows your mind at that point, right?

I'm testing this out on a friend who hasn't watched Evangelion, seeing what he thinks of Rebuild straight up. Sadly, I think a large part of the film's appeal lies in the HOLY SHIT ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? comparisons to the series. ^_^

Oh yeah, and finished Code Geass R2. Overall I liked the series, but I can see why opinion is a bit divided on the 'net. The ending certainly did a damn good job of making some of the preceding conversations take on a whole new light. XD

But, onward and upward, now I've just got to finish a couple of rewatches-in-progress and I've cleared all tasks at hand. >.> *ponders what to watch next*

EDIT: One more thing. I think the classification system is a bit fucked up. Why? Rebuild (even 2.22) is rated PG for Parental Guidance. Bearing in mind this is the series where there are graphic, violent disembowelments, dismemberments and psychological torture of small children.
Meanwhile, HARUHI SUZUMIYA is rated MA15+.

DID THE RATINGS BOARD EVEN FUCKING WATCH EITHER OF THEM?!?!?!?!??!?!??! Animated or not, Rebuild is hardly 'children's viewing'. Throw in all the symbolism and wacky scenes, and...well...they're either relying on your average child being pretty stupid, or I'm just getting a whole lot more detail out of the thing than the ratings board did. And if the excuse is that it's animated violence, well...how then do they justify video games getting R16/18, and how is Haruhi worse than Rebuild???

Shinrei said:

#253 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Fasvourite thing about new character Mari so far (other than seeming super slutty and complaining the plug suit didn't fit her breasts)...when she tells Shinji that he smells good, like LCL...and LCL is essentially blood...that is effed right up, but awesome.

#254 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hey all, Anime Wednesday has now returned and is up for your anime needs. This time I finally do my in-depth Evangelion post which talks about the original series, the original movies, and the Rebuild movies and future. Enjoy!

http://icebergink.bl...ay-january.html

#255 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

Excellent stuff, QT! :rofl:

I agree with everything you said, though my trials with a friend on the films with the originals sight unseen perhaps clash with the notion that:

While I don’t MIND having worked for it before, this feature of the new films will definitely add to the viewing enjoyment of a new audience who are just being introduced to the series.

I do think it's a lot easier to understand, but the drawback with that is simple; you don't have to think about the broader implications, which are what made for a LOT of the mindfuck in the original. And you also don't get that 'omg they're retelling this story and that's so awesome!!! but wait, is that...NO WAY!!' feeling if you haven't seen the original series.

Ah man...I feel like I can watch the movies all over again now. XD One thing that really blew my mind though, was how the films have UTTERLY supplanted the series in my memory - when I think of Ramiel now, I ONLY think of the super-awesome version in Rebuild 1.01. Went back and watched those episodes from the series, and was amazed that I had completely forgotten how it was originally portrayed. :S

Shinrei said:

#256 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Oh, is Rebuild 3 out? I loved the first two. Saw the second one at Fanimecon last year, and it was amazing on the big screen.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#257 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

Finished Eden of the East, btw. I thought it was excellent. It didn't feel finished, though, which annoys me.

#258 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

@S - No, Rebuild 3.0 only releases in the fall in Japan. :p

Shinrei said:

#259 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostBriar King, on 13 January 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

So I have my PS3 hooked up to Netflix on my brothernlaws account yesterday. They have some good Anime selections on there I think. I was thinking about trying out Appleseed after i finish Darker than Black. Is Appleseed anygood?

Depends.

The original from the late 80's...QUITE good, if totally old-school anime. Like as dated as it gets...AKIRA-era stuff.

The New APPLESEED from a few years ago...not as good. They kind of replace a lot of the stuff that made the original such a classic with pomp and special effects. It's also TECHNICALLY not Anime since it's all in CG. It IS balls to the wall action packed though.

Myself. I'd watch the 1988 APPLESEED any day over the new CG ones.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

#260 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

More dated than Ninja Scroll?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic