• You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#221 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

View PostJLV, on 07 December 2011 - 02:58 AM, said:

Plus I like when I manage to recognize an actor from one anime in another. I can't do that with Japanese voices.

Bato from GitS had a 1 episode character in Samurai Champloo, as did the Chief from GitS.

The main male character in Ergo Proxy is the crazy Earl who made the Lancelot in Code Geass.

I love catching that stuff.

If you watch subbed anime enough youll find similar voices. The guy that does Aizen or zaraki in bleach are instantly recognizable to me. The former is also quite prolific.
http://myanimelist.n...137/Show_Hayami

So what anime movies has every1 seen?

I know memorables ones ive seen are Princess Monnonoke, Jin-Roh the wolf brigade and "Arashi_no_Yoru_ni"
Princess is done by miyuzaki (and is therefore awesome) and had morally ambiguous characters which made it interesting.
Jin Roh: Good movie, good pacing and dialogue is used effectively.
"After witnessing the suicide bombing of a terrorist girl, Constable Kazuki Fuse becomes haunted by her image, and is forced to undergo retraining for his position in the Capital Police's Special Unit. However, unknown to him, he becomes a key player in a dispute between Capital and Local Police forces, as he finds himself increasingly involved with the sister of the very girl he saw die. "
Arashi... : Reminded me a lot about those good old fashioned disney movies (that arent made anymore). Its about how a wolf and a sheep end up being friends. But being as how this is a reversal of the natural order the two must struggle to maintain their friendship. It was a good movie and it was cute. I could not help shake off the feeling this was done by walt disney so well done it was.

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 08 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

#222 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 December 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Thus, subs are no problem for me and I prefer hearing the original voices and inflections, combined with a faithful translation. I have generally been able to pick up what certain words in Japanese mean and discern when the English translation takes shortcuts or skips things in the name of brevity.

That's why I always prefer subs to dubs. Without the presence of the original dialogue, how do I know the dubs have it right?

Could not agree more.

Watching subbed anime give you a feel for the language and pretty soon nuicances which are rarely carried over into dubs are noticed. In my experience often the english dubs and translations are downright simplifications or americanization of the original or at least they where haven't watched dubs for a few years now <_<. Which is why I tend to prefere a good fansub for most of my viewing though I have quite a few shiny dvds that never get used.

I also have a feeling that a large part of the feel of anime, the difference from western media that is a part of the charm comes from the language it makes for a very different experience, especially once one gain a grip of the simpler part of the japanese language.

/Chance

This post has been edited by Chance: 08 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

#223 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

Spirited Away is still my favorite movie.

#224 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

I just spent the weekend with the remakes of 北斗の拳 (Fist of the North Star) remake OVA/Movies.

Pretty sweet.

A taste of what it's all about here

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#225 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

looks awesome Shin,

I remember watching the old ones on VHS (showing my age here :p ) and enjoying them. May look that up.

Also, re your sig - ちょうど古いおならを引退 :D

This post has been edited by Cocoreturns: 11 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

meh. Link was dead :(

#226 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 11 December 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

Also, re your sig - ちょうど古いおならを引退 :D

what the s**t happened? it looks fine in the reply box, and comes up all screwy when posted. :p
meh. Link was dead :(

#227 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

Darker than black is pretty awesome! :D I never watched the last two episodes, though.

#228 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

@JLV - oh, you need to mate! They go a bit Gainax Ending on you, to be fair, but it does make sense. Not my favourite episodes of the first season, but worth the watching. Though season two >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *pauses for breath* >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> season one, tbh. It's shorter, but dayum is it awesome. And the OVA's filling in the middle (for watching AFTER the second season, mind) time are also pretty good. :D

Glad you're enjoying, BK!

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#229 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

Just finished Darker than Black. Fucking fantastic. Hmm, what next.

#230 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

The second season? :D (Even if the dub is comparatively terrible next to the sub, it's still a high-quality dub, just fyi)

At this point it's more a case of what you *haven't* watched. Noir? El Cazador de la Bruja? Both great series (one much, much more serious and subtle than the other; Noir is pretty much the polar opposite of El Cazador in terms of tone) by Bee Train. I personally rank Noir above Darker than Black's first season. Again, if you're going for lighter and fluffier (though the plot is still fairly solid and not immature) you could go for one of the To Aru series (To Aru Majutsu No INDEX or To Aru Kagaku No RAILGUN, the latter being a spinoff of the former). Not sure if they're available dubbed, though.

For 'guilty pleasure', I am moderately embarrassed to admit I actually really enjoyed 'Vampire Knight' (though again, the dub is, comparatively, much harder to watch than the sub, for me). Think...Harry Potter meets an actually half-decent Twilight. I know, that sounds terrible. But it's really actually pretty good, for a Shoujo....>.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#231 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

The problem is, I'm limited to what is on Netflix streaming. Which makes me sad, I really want to make my dad watch Code Geass and Ergo Proxy.

#232 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Watching Code Geass myself right now. Much enjoy. :D

See, this is why I don't watch my anime via that sort of function. Xbox/Zune? Yeah. One entry. Appleseed Ex Machina. Wtf? Ridiculously limited selection. Ugh. So I either have to buy, or watch via Youtube, on which the quality is usually crap (unless it's a Funimation dedicated upload) and I feel kinda bad for denying revenue to the creators if the series is good. Though that is usually fixed by buying the series if it IS good. XD

Netflix need to get their act together if they don't have Code Geass though - that's pretty much a staple of the medium, these days. :S

Shinrei said:

#233 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Netflix has Funimation anime in dub, and Viz media (ie Death Note) in sub.

Unfortunately (as far as I can tell) it doesn't have any Bandai. So no Code Geass.

#234 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

Viz media -> Vampire Knight. :D

But yeah, that does limit your choices quite a bit. Funimation did El Cazador de la Bruja, though, and that's great fun.

Shinrei said:

#235 User is offline   sappers rule 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:love reading

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

if u are looking for a site to watch anime try animecrazy or animefreak both good sites

#236 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

What fascinates me about this thread, is it's full of anime I've never run across before, despite living in Japan.

It just goes to show how small niche market anime here becomes more widely popular abroad. Cowboy Bebop is a perfect example. No one has even heard of it here, although TV programs steal and use the music all the time on variety shows and such.

This post has been edited by Shinrei: 31 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#237 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

To be fair, the internet is probably partially to blame for that - I, for one, just browse TV Tropes until I find something that appeals to me, and barring recco's from other people that's the only way I find *any* anime. Mainly because NZ has no recognition of the genre AT ALL. Like seriously, no TV channel here does more than play the basic Western cartoons (Spongebob, Kim Possible, whatever) as far as I can tell.

But you're right, the osmosis factor of some anime is ridiculous - it probably has a lot to do with certain stylistic choices as much as anything. On the flipside, there is the whole "No Export for You" Trope at work as well, where we don't get certain shows at all. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

#238 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

Kim Possible is awesome.

Senor Senior Sr. and Senor Senior Jr. always crack me up.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#239 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

That's quite the disparity.

#240 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

anime crazy is the good one

Those of you who are history buffs watch le chevalier d'eon. You will not be dissapointed.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

66 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 66 guests, 0 anonymous users