• You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4261 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 26 June 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

is there anything worth getting excited about for summer?

Is there even going to be a summer season?

ReZero season 2 and SAO s3p3 are the main ones. There's not a huge amount at all though going by MAL...

Anyway. Kaguya S2 ended ok I guess. Gleipnir ending wasn't great. Lots of stuff this season that was fun throughout but kind of fell on its ass at the last episode.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4262 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

View PostD, on 02 March 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

Tried to watch NARUTO.

Not for me.

I've never actually watched any of it, but I gather most people regard it fondly more for childhood nostalgia than anything else. Go back and watch Dragon Ball Z or Inuyasha or whatever other popular gateway show got you into anime as a teenager and it'd probably be the same? (I will never rewatch Inuyasha for fear of exactly that happening!)

I think you're absolutely right. I feel like I'd have loved this as a kid.

I think I was hoping that it might be as good as stuff like AIRBENDER and DRAGON PRINCE for the writing to be worthy...but this seems like the prototypical ninja-wish anime without anything to define it beyond that. Ah well. Worth a shot.

So I went back and kept watching, and now I’m right into it. Lol once they started introducing other characters and things got more established, it got was more fun.

Only on ep 20, but enjoying now.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4263 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

Aaaaand SAO S3PT3 starts with a fucking tentacle scene.

I'm not joking.

#4264 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

Reached the end of the Prologue/Land of Waves arc in NARUTO, and yeah, I'm In like Flynn now...Kakashi is cool enough on his own to watch for, but I'm also really impressed with a Shonen anime that splits up the multiple-episode fight sequence with depth of story. ONE PIECE occasionally did this, but more often than not it was just like 8 episodes of one fight. Also, I can't think of an anime that dares to make the first major villain entirely sympathetic.

I'm a few eps into the opening salvos of the Chunin Exams Arc, and the only thing I'm hoping is that Naruto stops saying "Believe it!" at the end of his sentences, that shit is annoying. Otherwise, the new characters are really interesting from other villages/countries/disciplines.

I'm watching it dubbed only because it's much easier to consume when I'm tired late at night that way...but I've got the subtitles on as well and some of the dub choices for how to phrases stuff is....interesting. I'm also watching a "chop" order, and skipping filler eps, so this should go faster than normal.

Anyways, at this rate, I'll be done the original show by later next week and into NARUTO SHIPPUDEN beyond that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4265 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 21 July 2020 - 07:59 AM, said:

Aaaaand SAO S3PT3 starts with a fucking tentacle scene.

I'm not joking.

Sheeeesh :doh:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 July 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Also, I can't think of an anime that dares to make the first major villain entirely sympathetic.

That's a weird flex.

But I'm happy you're enjoying reconnecting with your roots so much.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

View PostD, on 22 July 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

Also, I can't think of an anime that dares to make the first major villain entirely sympathetic.

That's a weird flex.

Bear in mind, I haven't seen a TONNE of Shonen anime, so the pool of what I've seen and can reference is small. I was just surprised by it...the first three or more villains in OP for example are all reprehensible pieces of shite.

But yeah, I was NOT expecting to like it this much after bouncing off it so hard from the first few eps...but man, halfway through the second arc and I'm ready to call this my second fave shonen anime and it's literally giving ONE PIECE a run for it's money...No one could be more surprised by that statement than me.

#4267 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:05 AM

Oi D'rek. Have you checked out Deca-Dence this season? It's weird as fuck.

My summary: post-apocalyptic mortal engine battling kaiju, except it's actually a video game for cyborgs who keep the remaining humans inside said mortal engine to keep it running.

Has a very weird art shift when it moves to the cyborg side, somewhere along the lines of Franxx but chibified.

I am thoroughly bemused but it's actually been aight up to the end of episode 3.

#4268 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:29 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 July 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostD, on 22 July 2020 - 03:38 PM, said:

That's a weird flex.

Bear in mind, I haven't seen a TONNE of Shonen anime, so the pool of what I've seen and can reference is small. I was just surprised by it...the first three or more villains in OP for example are all reprehensible pieces of shite.

But yeah, I was NOT expecting to like it this much after bouncing off it so hard from the first few eps...but man, halfway through the second arc and I'm ready to call this my second fave shonen anime and it's literally giving ONE PIECE a run for it's money...No one could be more surprised by that statement than me.

Oh, I'm not claiming it's a common thing in (shonen) anime or anything! The opposite, really, I think having the first antagonist be straightforward bad is par for the course in almost any media. The story is already busy setting up its protagonists and world and seeds for future storylines and a bunch else so you make the first antagonist simple and get on with things, there'll be time for complex and morally grey antagonists later (or you can make the first antagonist a recurring one and flesh them out later). Like Vader in the first Star Wars, for example.

I haven't watched that many shonen-y anime, either, but I bet it's doubly so for them.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 July 2020 - 07:05 AM, said:

Oi D'rek. Have you checked out Deca-Dence this season? It's weird as fuck.

My summary: post-apocalyptic mortal engine battling kaiju, except it's actually a video game for cyborgs who keep the remaining humans inside said mortal engine to keep it running.

Has a very weird art shift when it moves to the cyborg side, somewhere along the lines of Franxx but chibified.

I am thoroughly bemused but it's actually been aight up to the end of episode 3.

I've only seen the first episode so far. It's energetic and imaginative and fun. Looks good, too, except that the 3D sections have choppy framerates.

It's definitely interesting. Though I'm not sure it really needs the secret AI overlords plotline at all? I think you could make a perfectly good fast-paced adventure series simply about Natsume finagling her way from service-worker into pseudo-soldier through her boss, there's enough going on just at the surface (ha) level for that to be a great little adventure, especially if this is only going to be 1 cour.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4269 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:48 AM

Reached the end of the Prologue/Land of Waves arc in NARUTO, and yeah, I'm In like Flynn now...Kakashi is cool enough on his own to watch for, but I'm also really impressed with a Shonen anime that splits up the multiple-episode fight sequence with depth of story. ONE PIECE occasionally did this, but more often than not it was just like 8 episodes of one fight. Also, I can't think of an anime that dares to make the first major villain entirely sympathetic.

I'm a few eps into the opening salvos of the Chunin Exams Arc, and the only thing I'm hoping is that Naruto stops saying "Believe it!" at the end of his sentences, that shit is annoying. Otherwise, the new characters are really interesting from other villages/countries/disciplines.

I'm watching it dubbed only because it's much easier to consume when I'm tired late at night that way...but I've got the subtitles on as well and some of the dub choices for how to phrases stuff is....interesting. I'm also watching a "chop" order, and skipping filler eps, so this should go faster than normal.

Anyways, at this rate, I'll be done the original show by later next week and into NARUTO SHIPPUDEN beyond that.

Its not an uncommon as you'd think. The Enemy turned friend trope as an example, is central to Shounen Shows... Think Vegeta in DBZ, Gajeel in Fairy Tail, Ishida in bleach, Speedwagon in Jojo to name a few off the top of my head.

Anyways Best of Luck watching Naruto (Or Boruto's dad as some of the younger ones are saying as they were in diapers when this was airing). The advantage of watching it now is you can skip all the filler which will likely lead to an enhanced experience. Naruto fan... when shipudden was airing shit was rough.... Granted i backed the bleach train... ugh definetly was the wrong horse but i had no way of knowing...

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 25 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

#4270 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:48 AM

SPEEDOWAGGUN!

#4271 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:23 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 25 July 2020 - 03:48 AM, said:

Anyways Best of Luck watching Naruto (Or Boruto's dad as some of the younger ones are saying as they were in diapers when this was airing). The advantage of watching it now is you can skip all the filler which will likely lead to an enhanced experience. Naruto fan... when shipudden was airing shit was rough.... Granted i backed the bleach train... ugh definetly was the wrong horse but i had no way of knowing...

Yes. This is a HUGE bonus of watching it all now. I'm watching a Chop Order I found online which organizes into Manga Canon, Manga Cannon/Filler Mix, and Straight Filler, and then dives into specifics of the Cannon/Filler mix eps on why or why not you might want to watch them, and in some cases what minute mark to watch at to see the relative important stuff (Episode 59 is filler except for a like 7 minute conversation pertaining to Hinata and the Hyuga clan, but the rest is fluff). So I skipped about 7 or 8 eps in the Chunin Exams arc that were considered filler enough to skip....and I know there is a HUGE chunk coming up in the second 100 eps that you can skip.

I'm just rounding the end of the Chunin Exams arc now (On Episode 67), and I think I'm ready to say this is better than OP. Yeah, I said it. I can't help it. I'm just getting a more rewarding experience from this.

#4272 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 August 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 25 July 2020 - 03:48 AM, said:

Yes. This is a HUGE bonus of watching it all now. I'm watching a Chop Order I found online which organizes into Manga Canon, Manga Cannon/Filler Mix, and Straight Filler, and then dives into specifics of the Cannon/Filler mix eps on why or why not you might want to watch them, and in some cases what minute mark to watch at to see the relative important stuff (Episode 59 is filler except for a like 7 minute conversation pertaining to Hinata and the Hyuga clan, but the rest is fluff). So I skipped about 7 or 8 eps in the Chunin Exams arc that were considered filler enough to skip....and I know there is a HUGE chunk coming up in the second 100 eps that you can skip.

I'm just rounding the end of the Chunin Exams arc now (On Episode 67), and I think I'm ready to say this is better than OP. Yeah, I said it. I can't help it. I'm just getting a more rewarding experience from this.

glad its working for you. Naruto Shipudden had some awful fillers based off the forums i was browsing at the time.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 28 July 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

SPEEDOWAGGUN!

still need to do season 5 part 2...

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 06 August 2020 - 02:45 PM

#4273 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 27 August 2020 - 11:57 AM

Oi Dorekku... School Live final issue English translation released today

I am hugging my shovel from fear of my predictions

#4274 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

Finished NARUTO's initial run today. It was solid. SOLID solid. And if you'd told me when I first met him that Rock Lee would be my favourite character on the show, I'd have said you were lying. But yeah. He is. And Kakashi Sensei is my obvious second fave, with Shikimaru and Temari (sexual tension abounds) interactions also bringing me immense joy.

Of the arcs (I skipped ALL the filler, but watched mixed Canon/Filler eps) I think the Chunin Exams and Search for Sasuke held the best that show has to offer, and funnily enough the end fight for that arc (prior to the majority of the filler eps for the main original series) was good, but not nearly as good as stuff like Rock Lee VS Gaara during Chunin Exams, or Rock Lee & Gaara VS Kimimaru later on.

And I honestly thought more story would get wrapped up before SHIPPUDEN, but stuff like Itatchi and the Akatsuki is left for the next series, as is Sasuke/Orochimaru arc...

Anyways, onto NARUTO SHIPPUDEN now (which looks like it has more mixed cannon/filler eps than full filler...so I'll be longer at this as it's probably 350 eps of the 500 are watchable for canon).

But yeah, fave anime of all time by a country mile. I like ONE PIECE, but this handily beats it.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 August 2020 - 08:58 PM

#4275 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:37 PM

View PostD, on 27 June 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

Well, The Great Pretender dropped in its entirety in some countries a week ago or so (in other places, it is coming 1 episode per week) and it's novel, made by Wit, and the credits song is a Queen song so it's basically the best thing ever.

But aside from that, there's a handful of sequels coming and everything else has been pushed back to fall/winter.

I finally checked it out.

You were soo right, this anime is AMAZING. 1 ep in and I AM HOOKED.

Also even putting aside that the ED is a QUEEN SONG! the soundtrack is absolutely lit.

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 August 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

Finished NARUTO's initial run today. It was solid. SOLID solid. And if you'd told me when I first met him that Rock Lee would be my favourite character on the show, I'd have said you were lying. But yeah. He is. And Kakashi Sensei is my obvious second fave, with Shikimaru and Temari (sexual tension abounds) interactions also bringing me immense joy.

Of the arcs (I skipped ALL the filler, but watched mixed Canon/Filler eps) I think the Chunin Exams and Search for Sasuke held the best that show has to offer, and funnily enough the end fight for that arc (prior to the majority of the filler eps for the main original series) was good, but not nearly as good as stuff like Rock Lee VS Gaara during Chunin Exams, or Rock Lee & Gaara VS Kimimaru later on.

And I honestly thought more story would get wrapped up before SHIPPUDEN, but stuff like Itatchi and the Akatsuki is left for the next series, as is Sasuke/Orochimaru arc...

Anyways, onto NARUTO SHIPPUDEN now (which looks like it has more mixed cannon/filler eps than full filler...so I'll be longer at this as it's probably 350 eps of the 500 are watchable for canon).

But yeah, fave anime of all time by a country mile. I like ONE PIECE, but this handily beats it.

So whats you're saying... is if you ever watched Hunter X Hunter your socks would literraly fly off their feet and burst through your ceiling.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 02 September 2020 - 06:32 PM

#4276 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:24 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 01 September 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

View PostD, on 27 June 2020 - 01:41 AM, said:

Well, The Great Pretender dropped in its entirety in some countries a week ago or so (in other places, it is coming 1 episode per week) and it's novel, made by Wit, and the credits song is a Queen song so it's basically the best thing ever.

But aside from that, there's a handful of sequels coming and everything else has been pushed back to fall/winter.

I finally checked it out.

You were soo right, this anime is AMAZING. 1 ep in and I AM HOOKED.

Also even putting aside that the ED is a QUEEN SONG! the soundtrack is absolutely lit.

I'm not always right with my reccomendations, but i knew I would be with this one ^_^ Glad you're hooked!

I was wrong about the whole thing having dropped, though. Even in Japan only episodes 1-14 have aired. The rest comes September 21!

#4277 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 September 2020 - 03:25 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 August 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

Of the manga or the light novel?

#4278 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

View PostD, on 03 September 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 August 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

Of the manga or the light novel?

Manga, I don't think there's an English translated LN for this series.

#4279 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:25 PM

Hmm, well let me know if the ending is good or not but no spoilers. If it's good I may read it. I'm very happy with how the anime went and how it finished, though, and am always a bit wary of diving into a manga/LN if it might not live up to a great anime experience.

#4280 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 01 September 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

So whats you're saying... is if you ever watched Hunter X Hunter your socks would literraly fly off their feet and burst through your ceiling.

I've heard this is good, so I might check it out. It's on Netflix too, yes?

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users