• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4241 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

Doesn't Netflix usually make their own new subtitles/dub when they take over projects like that?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4242 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

View PostD, on 28 May 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

Doesn't Netflix usually make their own new subtitles/dub when they take over projects like that?

All the original Netflix series that are foreign language have Dubs and Subs for the most part, so I expect this to be the same...but with a show that already has a dedicated Subtitle track, I don't see why Netflix would redo it.

And hey, at least it's not as bad as the stuff on Disney + getting a "Close Captioning" subtitle track on a tonne of stuff, so half of it is wrongly heard by the algorithm.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4243 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 May 2020 - 02:33 PM, said:

but with a show that already has a dedicated Subtitle track, I don't see why Netflix would redo it.

Tell that to Evangelion

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4244 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

View PostD, on 28 May 2020 - 07:46 PM, said:

but with a show that already has a dedicated Subtitle track, I don't see why Netflix would redo it.

Tell that to Evangelion

Wait, I haven't watched Eva on Netflix...did they ACTUALLY redo the subtitle track?

Why?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4245 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 May 2020 - 08:06 PM, said:

Tell that to Evangelion

Wait, I haven't watched Eva on Netflix...did they ACTUALLY redo the subtitle track?

Why?

Oh not just the subtitle track. They rewrote the subtitles AND redubbed it (in multiple languages). And, for whatever reason, they wouldn't re-license Fly Me to the Moon so the ED music is different and any of the times it plays within an episode the soundtrack is changed.

#4246 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:33 PM

View PostD, on 29 May 2020 - 07:28 PM, said:

Tell that to Evangelion

Why?

Oh not just the subtitle track. They rewrote the subtitles AND redubbed it (in multiple languages). And, for whatever reason, they wouldn't re-license Fly Me to the Moon so the ED music is different and any of the times it plays within an episode the soundtrack is changed.

Hmmm. I wonder if it's because ADV went belly up a number of years ago (2009), so it was a red tape thing since they were the ones who did the dub and subs for the Western release?

#4247 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 May 2020 - 07:33 PM, said:

Tell that to Evangelion

Why?

Hmmm. I wonder if it's because ADV went belly up a number of years ago (2009), so it was a red tape thing since they were the ones who did the dub and subs for the Western release?

Hard to say. Netflix releases also notoriously rarely translate signage and often have timing issues. They don't seem to have a lot of passion for it.

#4248 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

So since i was bored on Netflix i took the new GiTS spin off for a spin.

I don't know why they would go for full CGI... not a fan of it but by CGI standards its not awful.

It has good action sequences, though im curious about the plot in terms of... ok we got our big set action pieces out of the way... heres an interesting plot line. Will it actually pan out? or will it be just another in a long line of Gits projects that fall flat.

#4249 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:52 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 29 May 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

I don't know why they would go for full CGI... not a fan of it but by CGI standards its not awful.

It has good action sequences, though im curious about the plot in terms of... ok we got our big set action pieces out of the way... heres an interesting plot line. Will it actually pan out? or will it be just another in a long line of Gits projects that fall flat.

I heard the bad guy is a naked breakdancing Steve Jobs robot?

#4250 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:36 PM

I know this isn't a thread for Manga...but I am in a pickle. I'm currently fighting myself REALLY hard to not buy the East Blue Baroque Works Box Set for ONE PIECE manga (Vol. 1 to Vol. 23) as I found it for $150 CDN and compared to everywhere else I've seen it that's a pretty big steal (by about $50 or so savings, about $6.50 per volume)...but then I know I'm going to be in for the other boxed sets as they come out (and there are 3 out so far) if I do that'd that's a commitment I'm not afraid to read, but it's a monetary commitment.

So I need to be either talked INTO hitting Buy, or talked out of it.

I've always heard that the Manga for OP is superior to the show, and contains no filler ect. Which is why I want to read it form the start...but man, I'm waffling on whether to do it.

HALP!

Nevermind, problem solved. Viz's official site and app are $3 per month to read nearly ALL their manga digitally including the entirety of OP up to current. I'm going to do that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

#4251 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:58 PM

Have you guys tried Dorohedoro out on Netflix? it was surprisingly good. Got into the manga because I couldn't wait for a second season and it is pure fire. Almost Hunterx Hunter levels of badass with WEIRD twists and turns.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4252 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

View PostD, on 29 May 2020 - 10:52 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 29 May 2020 - 09:14 PM, said:

I heard the bad guy is a naked breakdancing Steve Jobs robot?

we dont know who the bad guy is... or even if there is a "bad guy"...

Now there was a steve jobs type who turns out could breakdance to dodge bullets somehow... but its not clear how, and he ended up taking a bullet to the head so we won't know more until we get season 2 where the plot progresses.

All we know is that there are these people who randomly turn "Post Human" where their personality changes, they become super hackers and can move like no one else. personally i like how we now have a legitimate mystery and this isn't just a pure action romp like Arise.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 09 June 2020 - 07:58 PM

#4253 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

View PostD, on 29 May 2020 - 08:00 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 May 2020 - 07:33 PM, said:

Tell that to Evangelion

Why?

Hard to say. Netflix releases also notoriously rarely translate signage and often have timing issues. They don't seem to have a lot of passion for it.

Just checked, its there in original Japanese with subtitles as default, and you can switch it to English which is the Funimation dub. So that’s good, the didn’t change it.

#4254 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

View PostBriar King, on 20 June 2020 - 07:34 PM, said:

Finally finished SAO S2. Holy shit THAT WAS A PAINFUL YEAR + OF MY LIFE! Then I rolled onto S3 that I have had on my DVR for over a year that TOON aired and what a world of difference... I was really hooked. Badass. Now I haven’t finished but let’s just say I got through 21 eps in about 3 days last week as I was taking some me time hiding to recover.

I am soooooo the opposite

#4255 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

View PostD, on 22 June 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

Finally finished SAO S2. Holy shit THAT WAS A PAINFUL YEAR + OF MY LIFE! Then I rolled onto S3 that I have had on my DVR for over a year that TOON aired and what a world of difference... I was really hooked. Badass. Now I haven’t finished but let’s just say I got through 21 eps in about 3 days last week as I was taking some me time hiding to recover.

i feel like that everytime BKs posts about anime TBH, SAO gets good everytime kirito isn't the main focus but i digress....

Aslo i havent really been watching anime at all... like thinking of cancelling my crunchyroll subscription. Everyone was talking about how great tower of god was... tried to get into sing yesterday for me... just couldnt...

#4256 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:19 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 22 June 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

View PostD, on 22 June 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

i feel like that everytime BKs posts about anime TBH, SAO gets good everytime kirito isn't the main focus but i digress....

Aslo i havent really been watching anime at all... like thinking of cancelling my crunchyroll subscription. Everyone was talking about how great tower of god was... tried to get into sing yesterday for me... just couldnt...

Sing Yesterday For Me was mostly pretty good... but also kind of frustrating. The characters and dialogue are super "real", which is great, but the main two that are in a will-they-won't-they quasi relationship for most of the show are *both* the type to be super cautious and always overthinking things, so the primary part of the story is slow as molasses and it leaves it to the secondary characters to keep things interesting... which then just makes you feel bad for the secondary characters. I dunno, it was enjoyable in the moment but it kinda feels like no matter what ending they went with it'd have the feel of circling back on itself.

I guess it is the end of Spring season so might as well round-up the rest while we're at it.

The Otome Game Villainess (or whatever the full title is) show, on the other hand, was a humongous disappointment. You know that thing they do in One Piece where even though there's 9 characters they all have to get their token line of dialogue in on everything, even mundane things? Yeah, Otome Game Villain was like that, and unlike One Piece it's characters are mostly one-note cardboards so it's much, much worse. And the story is, like, as much about the main character eating too much cake as it is about the actual "stuck in a dating game as the villain" premise, sooo... it's bad.

Gal X Dino is the Pop Team Epic sequel everybody needed but nobody knew they needed. You don't *have* to watch it while high, but it's, er, a pretty good experience. There's a live-action B-plot where some cosmic idol guy is a ghost trying to save the old man version of the gal main character, but he keeps dying so the cosmic idol guy rewinds time, but then the landlady who visits the old guy can also rewind time, and I'm pretty sure none of this part has anything to do with the manga.

Bookworm season 2 was pretty good. More of the same.

BNA's second set of 6 episodes came out and was great. It's perhaps a bit less riveting than the first half, but that's not surprising since they couldn't/weren't doing episodic stories as much and were focusing more on building up to the finale. I do think the plot was a bit too much like every other Trigger original show, parts of it felt a bit repetitive and there's definitely a bit of "If the good guys would just punch the guy with the goatee who is obviously evil right now everything would be solved" but still a ton of fun.

Kakushigoto wins the season though. I can't remember the last time a show blended comedy and sad drama so well, and was actually this funny, too. Plus the family wholesomeness aspect of it is an easy win. I definitely cried a bunch on the last episode.

#4257 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

Sing Yesterday ending was disappointing considering how good it was through the running.

Tower of God dropped from a 7/10 to a 5/10 in the last two episodes. Felt like a copout.

And yes, Kakushigoto was easily the show of the season. I didn't see the twist coming, it was built up really well and the final episode was excellent.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4258 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:49 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 June 2020 - 11:58 AM, said:

Sing Yesterday ending was disappointing considering how good it was through the running.

I will say that even if I don't like *what* the ending was, the execution on it was still really good. Like, even though it had no right to happen with how it was built up, the bus stop scene was still charming as hell and toys with your emotions.

But Rikuo is stupid.

#4259 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:15 PM

is there anything worth getting excited about for summer?

Is there even going to be a summer season?

#4260 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:41 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 26 June 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

is there anything worth getting excited about for summer?

Is there even going to be a summer season?

Well, The Great Pretender dropped in its entirety in some countries a week ago or so (in other places, it is coming 1 episode per week) and it's novel, made by Wit, and the credits song is a Queen song so it's basically the best thing ever.

But aside from that, there's a handful of sequels coming and everything else has been pushed back to fall/winter.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users