• Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

Finally started Food Wars season 2.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4122 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

I plunged through all of the Pyscho Pass: Sinners of the System specials and the two episodes of season 3 that are out so far. Missed this series, it's engrossing. Didn't think I would like the new Inspectors of season 3, but actually they're pretty awesome. There's a wonderful parkour+fistfight bit in episode 2 that is really great, and the show is IMO perfectly balancing the story of the new guys with the legacy and cameos of the old guard.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4123 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostD, on 04 November 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

I plunged through all of the Pyscho Pass: Sinners of the System specials and the two episodes of season 3 that are out so far. Missed this series, it's engrossing. Didn't think I would like the new Inspectors of season 3, but actually they're pretty awesome. There's a wonderful parkour+fistfight bit in episode 2 that is really great, and the show is IMO perfectly balancing the story of the new guys with the legacy and cameos of the old guard.

do you happen to know where its streaming?

#4124 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

Nope. Maybe Amazon?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4125 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:51 PM

View PostD, on 04 November 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

Nope. Maybe Amazon?

It is on amazon! Interesting how they only do 1-2 animes a season but they get good stuff.

#4126 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 27 November 2019 - 12:55 PM

Picked up Chihayafuru. This is pretty nice. And there seems to be a lot of it.

#4127 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:41 AM

Can we stop and take a second to appreciate the music from Galactic Heroes DNT? OP and ED are both god tier good.

#4128 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:23 AM

Why did none of you dickheads not get me on with Interviews with Monster Girls back when it was airing? This is the most wholesome fucking show. The title made me think it was going to be like MonMusu but it's a really nice watch.

#4129 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 December 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

Can we stop and take a second to appreciate the music from Galactic Heroes DNT? OP and ED are both god tier good.

no

#4130 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:32 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 06 December 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 December 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

no

You are wrong and should feel bad.

#4131 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

Season is drawing to a close so any shows that have wrapped up I will give thoughts on.

Galactic Heroes Part 2: I was so happy they kept the OP/ED themes in this because they're god tier, even if the show itself is a little lacking. I should watch the original at some point really.

Kemono Michi: That was a fucking ride. And it never lost its charm, even if the characters were all one-dimensional tropes with almost no development (barring MAO, whose ending was wholesome as fuck).

High School Prodigies Have it Easy, Even in Another World: The title will give you an idea of how trash the concept for this show is, and yet it was just fun throughout. I wasn't expecting a message of self-reliance to be buried in there either.

#4132 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:14 PM

Not going to lie i am morbidly curious about this anime, in the same way you can't help but watch a dumpster fire.

#4133 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 December 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

Kemono Michi: That was a fucking ride. And it never lost its charm, even if the characters were all one-dimensional tropes with almost no development (barring MAO, whose ending was wholesome as fuck).

Honestly I got so tired of it after the first half or so. Genzo started out as a character with a strange but driven personality and a major goal, but after the first few episodes he's just a cardboard pervert who says the same 4 lines over and over again. There was never another scene like the goblin camp or the final bar scene of episode 1, and they basically never talked about or progressed the pet shop goal at all. Shigure likewise became a repeated-gag character and the rest were never interesting to begin with. Very disappointing.

Others:

My Hero Academia season 4 - boooooring. Feels like Dragon Ball Z pacing with how drawn out every little thing is.

SAO S3-part 2 - Also very boring. A whole bunch of new characters who after existing for 5 minutes have big emotional fights we're supposed to care about but why should we care when we've just met them and none of this has much consequences? Seems like this could have been a lot better if they interspersed the screentime better (we got like 4 straight episodes of the bad guy only for him to then disappear for 6 episodes, for example) and cut down on the number of fake-main-characters. Also really, really cringey with the harem antics.

Psycho-Pass S3 - Unfortunately it didn't really have much of an ending, but presumably the story will get continued in another season and/or movies. But even without a proper ending, it was a great watch, with just about every episode having at least one amazing moment. And it's a real breath of fresh air to have a show where the mysteries/cases are complicated as hell but doesn't hold your hand pointing out everything - some of it was kinda Erikson-esque with how you *could* piece it together early if you were smart and picked up all the little clues/hints, but if not they would eventually go through it later, though even then they still might only explain 80% and you gotta figure out the rest yourself.

Chihayafuru S3 - It's more Chihayafuru. Chihaya still annoyingly has a stick up her butt, and the karuta games are still exciting.

Bookworm Ascendance - Loved this one, though it very much feels like it's the prologue of the series. We'll see if there's a season 2 announcement, hard to recommend without one even though it's comfy and interesting in it's own right.

#4134 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

A few further finish-ups:

Assassin's Pride - had the potential to be really fun, and often was quite good fun, but my god was it a mess. The last episode especially made almost no sense.

Bokuben S2 - certainly felt very final. Mostly wholesome harem antics, but the development of affection through the MC helping the girls to succeed was always nice.

SAO S3P2 - an entire cour with no Kirito. Winning.

Bookworm - very enjoyable. I agree with it feeling like a prequel, but it will be interesting to see where S2 goes.

Oresuki - fun but largely throwaway trash. Would have been better if Joro had just confessed to Pansy.

---

Lin - at work so can't click. Which one?

#4135 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.

#4136 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Why did none of your miserly chucklefucks recommend me Wotokoi? Reeeeeeee. This is brilliant.

The "love is hard for otaku" show? Because I saw 2 episodes and hated all of it?

#4137 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

View PostD, on 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

The "love is hard for otaku" show? Because I saw 2 episodes and hated all of it?

Christ how. I binged it in less than a week. Absolutely blessed.

Anyway I was going to tell you about the facebook page posting every Machikado Mazoku frame in order but I'm not now. Cruel mean D'rek.

#4138 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

New season thoughts:

Somali and the Forest Spirit: seems pretty interesting so far. The notion of a world without humans is kind of cool.

Darwin's Game: It's King's Game levels of edge and gore and it's stupid and funny for it.

Asteroid Love: Incredibly chilled out. Almost to Yurucamp levels. Ep1 was enjoyable.

Madoka Gaiden: Ah, the magical girls' theme is as grand as ever. I feel like this is based off of the gacha game? Who doesn't love mahout shoujo suffering at any rate?

#4139 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 January 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

View PostD, on 03 January 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

Christ how. I binged it in less than a week. Absolutely blessed.

Been a while, but if I remember right I saw the whole first episode. Found the writing super bland (e.g. characters unnaturally speaking aloud their thoughts to each other rather than actual dialogue) and there certainly wasn't anything compelling about the visuals or sound or whatever. Basically felt like a generic high school anime rom-com that swapped it's cast to be "adults" at a "company" instead of teens at school, but didn't actually update anything to match that change. And sure enough the main girl got insecure about the size of her boobs 10 minutes in...

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 January 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Anyway I was going to tell you about the facebook page posting every Machikado Mazoku frame in order but I'm not now. Cruel mean D'rek.

1 frame a day for ~47 years?

It's a cute show, but seems like the wrong choice for such an endeavour. They should do that with a Shinkai movie or art-housey show like Gakutsuou or some such where every couple frames is another new desktop background in the making.

Haven't looked into any of the new season yet, but I know there's a new Yuaasa show and a new Haikyuu season so those will definitely be on my list at least.

#4140 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:19 AM

ok the tabaxi in our DND group keeps calling us that. Is chucklefuck a terry pratchett reference or something.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users