Emancipor's Family - Speculations ::spoilers::

#1 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

So, I noticed (or believe I noticed) that Emancipor's family never makes a physical appearance throughout the first three novellas. Manci's wife does call out to Emancipor and seems to talk to and bed various people in the town, but we never see her other than Manci's imaginings.

Does anyone else suspect that the Luckless's family is actually dead? The kids are said to have worms (reference to Jhorliggs?) and we never see them or hear them. I would hazard that Manci is sending money back to an empty home....
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

I think if they had symptoms of becoming Jhorliggs, people would've been a lot more panicked about the kids! I suppose anything is possible, but I would expect Mancy to have some sort of communication with his family to ensure that the money he sends is actually reaching them, too.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

View PostD, on 19 May 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

I think if they had symptoms of becoming Jhorliggs, people would've been a lot more panicked about the kids! I suppose anything is possible, but I would expect Mancy to have some sort of communication with his family to ensure that the money he sends is actually reaching them, too.

But don't you think it's odd that we never see Manci's family?
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:49 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 19 May 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

Their lack of identity is how Mancy himself pictures them, but that doesn't stop them from existing.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• View gallery

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:04 AM

View PostD, on 20 May 2011 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostGust Hubb, on 19 May 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

Their lack of identity is how Mancy himself pictures them, but that doesn't stop them from existing.

Agreed. I guess my main line of thinking revolves around the next novella
Spoiler

~Abyss

#6 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

I, for one, Gust Hubb, agree with you totally. Even back as far as Blood Follows alone I had a feeling they were dead and he was kind of nuts. Goes with his bad luck. And it seemed to take pains to avoid actually meeting his wife. Plus the kids with worms, etc. The Jhorligg potential connection and events
Spoiler

It also makes for a great irony to his character - all his suffering and adventures are for nothing. I'll throw my hat into that ring for sure.

This post has been edited by Tatterdemalion: 20 May 2011 - 04:17 AM

Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#7 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

I'd say his family is alive and exist given the heavy implication that one of Mancy's dockhand friends is having an affair with his wife and might even be the father of the youngest kid
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#8 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, that's a good point. I recall that now.
Could be they are both just playing him for jokes, though too. But unlikely.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#9 User is offline   Steel General 

• Oxidizing Officer
  • View gallery

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

View PostUrizen, on 20 May 2011 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'd say his family is alive and exist given the heavy implication that one of Mancy's dockhand friends is having an affair with his wife and might even be the father of the youngest kid

I just finished reading the 3 stories, and was going to say the same thing. My take was that each of his dock buddies are the father of one of Emancipoor's kids.

#10 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

Left my BH up my brothers so read the novellas oer the week.

I really like GH idea that the family are dead. It would add a dimension to Reese that would honestly blow me away, in a similar way to an event near the end of TCG. However unless we count those 2 dock friends hes got as imaginary aswell it doesnt seem likely. Its plausible that Mancy may have known the kids were not his and reminisces with his 'old buddies' about his family, neither of whom exist and the families dead.

However those dockhands help Mancy find the Suncurl and also sell the ship the nails from the tombs and barrows. Thats alot of interaction to really be able to brush over to make them imaginary. So up until them telling Mancy about the Suncurl it was entirely plausible that they were dead.

CRAZY THEORY

When Mancy returns back to lamentable Moll he will visit the tomb of his family, paid for by his exploits with B and KB. The money he was sending back was for the payment and maintenance of their tomb.

#11 User is offline   Sapper JHall 

• Recruit

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

As I recall Subly, his wife, is in the beginning of Blood Follows. She gets pissed at him when he she finds out he gets fired from his job. Also his buddies have heard that his kids have the mange. Also as was stated above it is strongly implied his friend has fathered one or both of his children and is still with having an affair with his wife.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users