• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#321 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:56 AM

I quite enjoy a good night of dancing myself. Never tried dancing with Lawrence though, I imagine he would be difficult to lead.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#322 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Mark Lawrence, on 07 November 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

Malaclypse, on 06 November 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

edit: I feel a bit bad about my last post because I fucking love everything up to the ending -the journey is amazing, a revelation in fantasy literature to me. The ending was just unfortunate. My stepson finished it on our plane back to the UK from a holiday and he was so disappointed without being able to properly describe why and I had to remind him of the awesomeness that came before to assuage the disappointment with the ending. It's a clear weakness, which Lawrence is hopefully moving to address - the ending of the second book also had logical problems, though obviously not as severe.

You don't have to feel bad!

On the other hand the vast majority of opinion I've seen online has been very positive about the ending and I don't consider it a weakness and am not moving to address it .

Edit: Even if it were the other way around I wouldn't be moving to address it as I write the stories that please me rather than attempting to please everyone else. Trying to dance to the many different tunes that are broadcast at you simultaneously is a sure way to break a leg, or at least end up looking silly...

Fair enough, I just think there are some logic/believability issues there that you would want to avoid but hey, it's your show - if the next series goes like this one I will be very happy (but I will still point out the things I find questionable :)) Cheers!

#323 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Edit: Even if it were the other way around I wouldn't be moving to address it as I write the stories that please me rather than attempting to please everyone else. Trying to dance to the many different tunes that are broadcast at you simultaneously is a sure way to break a leg, or at least end up looking silly...

I honestly don't think I've ever admired an author more for a statement. Kudos sir. Really well said. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#324 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

QuickTidal, on 08 November 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

...well said. :)

Seconded.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#325 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Glad not to be battling an Erikson book this year!

https://www.goodread...tasy-books-2013

#326 User is offline   Kaamos 

• EW, SHIPPER

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Finally got my reading started; six hours into the 1st audio book and definitely not bad. The reader has a cute accent.
Honestly, the few raggedy sentences I caught about Jorg's character beforehand made me believe I'd be following the adventures of another Angus Thermopyle, but so far this has been MUCH tamer than The Gap.

#327 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

So, am I the only one who read the first book and hated it?

I thought Jorg was an extremely shallow character, and the fact that it's supposed to be a future post-apocalyptic world? Completely thrown in there and it has no effect on the story at all, as far as I could tell from the first book. Or like, why were the necromancers under that mountain to begin with? Oh, no reason!

I could go on, but I don't remember all of the book and wouldn't want to misrepresent some parts...I just felt like it was tripe. I really don't get why everyone seems to love it.

EDIT: It sort of seems like Lawrence just had a checklist of terrible, sociopathic acts next to him while writing and wanted to shoehorn them all in to one character...

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 10 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

#328 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 10 January 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

I thought Jorg was an extremely shallow character, and the fact that it's supposed to be a future post-apocalyptic world? Completely thrown in there and it has no effect on the story at all, as far as I could tell from the first book. Or like, why were the necromancers under that mountain to begin with? Oh, no reason!

I could go on, but I don't remember all of the book and wouldn't want to misrepresent some parts...I just felt like it was tripe. I really don't get why everyone seems to love it.

EDIT: It sort of seems like Lawrence just had a checklist of terrible, sociopathic acts next to him while writing and wanted to shoehorn them all in to one character...

Most of the world-building gains a ton of importance later on, but come on, are you actually saying that the post-apocalyptic setting isn't important to
Spoiler

And Jorg actually does begin developing a conscience of sorts in the second book. He receives interesting character development over the course of the trilogy. That said, I can understand why some readers wouldn't want to continue reading about him. I did, and thought the resulting trilogy was really good (but not necessarily great.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#329 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Brent-Man Weeks, on 10 January 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

Most of the world-building gains a ton of importance later on, but come on, are you actually saying that the post-apocalyptic setting isn't important to
Spoiler

And Jorg actually does begin developing a conscience of sorts in the second book. He receives interesting character development over the course of the trilogy. That said, I can understand why some readers wouldn't want to continue reading about him. I did, and thought the resulting trilogy was really good (but not necessarily great.)

Don't get me wrong though — I don't dislike Jorg because he's a cold-hearted bastard. I love characters who are like that (Logen Ninefingers, Kellhus, etc.). I dislike him because that's all he is in the first book. So, maybe he does get better in the other books.

#330 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

It's certainly one long story that you only finished the start of.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#331 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

EDIT: It sort of seems like Lawrence just had a checklist of terrible, sociopathic acts next to him while writing and wanted to shoehorn them all in to one character...<br />

Weird, that's why I liked it. I thought we were going to get a story told from the bad guys perspective for a change. I thought that's where the trilogy was going... aiming to give a history to the oft seen 'Dark Lord' character.

I was actually a bit let down when he developed a conscience. I didn't dislike where it went... I just thought it was doing something different.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 10 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#332 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Agreed. I thought Jorg's character arc thru the three books was one of most fun i've read in a while. Sure, there are nasty elements to him, but he becomes more than that.

#333 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

As others have noted Jorg evolves. He's still a bastard, but he's a much more tolerable and understandable bastard. The BIG thing you gotta remember is that this is a guy was was ostensibly RAISED through his formative years by a band of criminals. You'd be fucked up too if that were the case. Your moral compass would be whacked. In fact, that he grows at all out of that is astonishing considering his surroundings. It's all very important to who Jorg is, what he wants, and where he's going.

As to the setting...again as others have said you REALLY need to read the whole story before making any judgements as Salt-Man noted, a huge chunk of the reasoning behind that choice on the author's part doesn't come into true focus until book 2 and 3. It actually bears HUGE effect on the story.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#334 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

QuickTidal, on 10 January 2014 - 08:50 PM, said:

As others have noted Jorg evolves. He's still a bastard, but he's a much more tolerable and understandable bastard. The BIG thing you gotta remember is that this is a guy was was ostensibly RAISED through his formative years by a band of criminals. You'd be fucked up too if that were the case. Your moral compass would be whacked. In fact, that he grows at all out of that is astonishing considering his surroundings. It's all very important to who Jorg is, what he wants, and where he's going.

As to the setting...again as others have said you REALLY need to read the whole story before making any judgements as Salt-Man noted, a huge chunk of the reasoning behind that choice on the author's part doesn't come into true focus until book 2 and 3. It actually bears HUGE effect on the story.

Ah, the age old conundrum — should I keep reading something I don't enjoy in the hopes that my effort will pay off?

Right now, I'll take this series out of the trash list and put it on the back-burner list. So, I'll read it eventually, but there's other stuff I'd rather read before.

#335 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 11 January 2014 - 12:06 AM, said:

Ah, the age old conundrum — should I keep reading something I don't enjoy in the hopes that my effort will pay off?

My answer would be "no". If you didn't get the first book then I'd give up.

However, there is this hilarious (to me) youtube review of King of Thorns by a guy who absolutely hated Prince of Thorns :p

https://www.youtube....h?v=I88Ds_ah5J0

#336 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 10 January 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

Brent-Man Weeks, on 10 January 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong though — I don't dislike Jorg because he's a cold-hearted bastard. I love characters who are like that (Logen Ninefingers, Kellhus, etc.). I dislike him because that's all he is in the first book. So, maybe he does get better in the other books.

Wait Wait Wait. You compared Jorg to Ninefingers as 'cold-hearted bastards'? Really?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#337 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Ninefinger is not a good comparison, but I agree with Kellhus.

#338 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Graablick, on 14 January 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Ninefinger is not a good comparison, but I agree with Kellhus.

Oh no, not remotely like Khellus!

Jorg is salvageable in the morals department...Khellus (AFAIK) was not remotely salvageable.

#339 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

fairly radical differences between Jorg and Kellhus once you're past the very basic 'anti-hero' element.

#340 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

It was one of the reasons why I liked this series so much, I thought Jorg was unique and couldn't really compare him to anyone else.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

22 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users