• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#301 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Fantastic, the timing fits perfectly with my bachelor degree.

#302 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Mark actually contacted your college to make sure the dates suited you.

#303 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

Best source for these updates indeed! Will the book(s) be released at the same time in US also?

View PostMark Lawrence, on 10 October 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

The first book of The Red Queen's War trilogy is now listed (on UK Amazon at least) - June 5th they say! No cover art yet :/

http://www.amazon.co...81429910&sr=1-1

#304 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I just got Prince of Thorns today and with all that I'v read about it I cant wait to get started on it. I'm going to fit it in after I finish Night of Knives and Midnight Tides (I'm reading them at the same time)
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#305 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Finished Emperor of Thorns a few days ago. Thought it, and the trilogy as a whole, was fantastic. Refreshing that Mark has decided to leave it as a trilogy. He's created a truly memorable set of characters, placed them in a setting with which we can identify, and told a story that never once deviated from its purpose. As far as I can remember, there is no padding whatsoever over the course of the three books. It's not often you can say that.

#306 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostDragnipurake, on 13 October 2013 - 05:31 AM, said:

Best source for these updates indeed! Will the book(s) be released at the same time in US also?

View PostMark Lawrence, on 10 October 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

The first book of The Red Queen's War trilogy is now listed (on UK Amazon at least) - June 5th they say! No cover art yet :/

http://www.amazon.co...81429910&sr=1-1

Looks like June 3rd for the States:
http://www.amazon.co...82356581&sr=8-1

#307 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Am I the only one finding it funny that the author is using Amazon to get release dates?

Just seems silly to me somehow.

Though many thanks for the update.
meh. Link was dead :(

#308 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well...I just started this series. Got to the Necromancer and its all a wonder to me.

Really interesting. Really really interesting. Its quite a step up from my current reading list.

I am annoyed at the lack of fan-art on this. But I understand it. I can't quite figure out what anything should look like since I get the feeling its post future yet medieval somehow. Its all really smart, the world you built here is pleasing in a dark wonder kind of way. Can't wait to get to the end of this book.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#309 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 03 November 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Well...I just started this series. Got to the Necromancer and its all a wonder to me.

Really interesting. Really really interesting. Its quite a step up from my current reading list.

I am annoyed at the lack of fan-art on this. But I understand it. I can't quite figure out what anything should look like since I get the feeling its post future yet medieval somehow. Its all really smart, the world you built here is pleasing in a dark wonder kind of way. Can't wait to get to the end of this book.

Some fan art here:

faces of Jorg:
http://mark---lawren...rg-ancrath.html

other characters:
http://mark---lawren...rns-family.html

#310 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Emperor of Thorns is a nominee for Best Fantasy on Goodreads

I crunch the numbers here :)

http://mark---lawren...ads-choice.html

...it doesn't look good!

#311 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

Now that I've made it clear that I love this series I must communicate my problems with it.

The only important negatives for me had to do with the ending, as follows:

*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*

*LAST CHANCE SPOILERS, BOOK-RUINING SPOILERS JUST BELOW THIS LINE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

1) I always hate it when magic is eliminated from a world - it makes the world less interesting and is, I imagine, motivated by some misguided impulse towards equality. Maybe that one is purely my own preference and I'm willing to accept that but I am not yet done...

2) The world being 'fixed' really fucking irritates me - anyone remember Eriond? If so, you know what I mean - this is just naive and it doesn't jive with anything that came before.

3) The whole, somehow this was all about Jorg and Wiliam story was, I dunno - disappointing - so we're supposed to imagine, via several hints to be fair, that William as a toddler had such an amazing will that he went on to conquer Death itself and all of that and harbours a grudge against Jorg for surviving that encounter for starters, which is ridiculous... all of the story relating to William was absurd - make him a generic villain and it would have been better and Jorg maybe wouldn't have suicided himself so readily - honestly I dunno what Lawrence was thinking when planning that. For me, it's such a waste of a good character and the implied psychic torture was not sold to me - it just didn't make sense in the end, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not thrilled that the next series he's writing will be concurrent with Jorg's story - I'm not sure I'm interested in that, but I'll definitely read the first one.

I would have offered different advice but in terms of execution, this guy is the best available right now imo even with all the nonsense.

#312 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

I have to admit that I agree about the
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#313 User is offline   Mrak 

• Recruit

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostTraveller, on 05 November 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

I have to admit that I agree about the [censored] side?

You guys should prefix the title of this thread with 'SPOILERS FOR THE'

Does the forum not have spoiler tags? Seriously, browsing this thread could ruin the whole read for someone.

#314 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

Ok, I spoilered my post as anyone could have stumbled on it without reading the numerous, capitalized, super obvious spoiler warnings in the above posts.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#315 User is offline   Mrak 

• Recruit

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostTraveller, on 05 November 2013 - 11:01 PM, said:

Ok, I spoilered my post as anyone could have stumbled on it without reading the numerous, capitalized, super obvious spoiler warnings in the above posts.

Thank you. My point was that this thread would be a lot more newbie friendly if spoiler tags were used. They're easier than typing SPOILER in caps all over the place anyhow.

If someone was looking for non-spoilery opinion (like I was) then they would have skipped until they found something without spoiler tags or SPOILER notices, and it would have been yours. Which was a spoiler. Of course if we had a SPOILER thread then there'd be no problem :)

#316 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostMrak, on 06 November 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

...My point was that this thread would be a lot more newbie friendly if spoiler tags were used. They're easier than typing SPOILER in caps all over the place anyhow.

If someone was looking for non-spoilery opinion (like I was) then they would have skipped until they found something without spoiler tags or SPOILER notices, and it would have been yours. Which was a spoiler. Of course if we had a SPOILER thread then there'd be no problem :)

Ah, but it isn't a newbie friendly thread, it's a balls out spoilery discussion thread, now retitled accordingly.

Feel free to alert a mod if you encounter that sort of thing elsethread. We try to stay on top of it, but some threads evolve along the way.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#317 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Mrak said:

1383773103[/url]' post='1095285']

Traveller said:

1383692467[/url]' post='1095016']

Thank you. My point was that this thread would be a lot more newbie friendly if spoiler tags were used. They're easier than typing SPOILER in caps all over the place anyhow.

Mod edit:

I feel a bit bad about my last post because I fucking love everything up to the ending -the journey is amazing, a revelation in fantasy literature to me. The ending was just unfortunate. My stepson finished it on our plane back to the UK from a holiday and he was so disappointed without being able to properly describe why and I had to remind him of the awesomeness that came before to assuage the disappointment with the ending. It's a clear weakness, which Lawrence is hopefully moving to address - the ending of the second book also had logical problems, though obviously not as severe.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 08 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

#318 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 06 November 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

edit: I feel a bit bad about my last post because I fucking love everything up to the ending -the journey is amazing, a revelation in fantasy literature to me. The ending was just unfortunate. My stepson finished it on our plane back to the UK from a holiday and he was so disappointed without being able to properly describe why and I had to remind him of the awesomeness that came before to assuage the disappointment with the ending. It's a clear weakness, which Lawrence is hopefully moving to address - the ending of the second book also had logical problems, though obviously not as severe.

You don't have to feel bad!

On the other hand the vast majority of opinion I've seen online has been very positive about the ending and I don't consider it a weakness and am not moving to address it .

Edit: Even if it were the other way around I wouldn't be moving to address it as I write the stories that please me rather than attempting to please everyone else. Trying to dance to the many different tunes that are broadcast at you simultaneously is a sure way to break a leg, or at least end up looking silly...

This post has been edited by Mark Lawrence: 07 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

#319 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

You dance?

Burn the witch!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#320 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

View Postamphibian, on 07 November 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

You dance?

Burn the witch!

You don't?

Drown the heretic!
meh. Link was dead :(

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +