• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warran is the best part of this book Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:18 AM

View Postiron chef iskaral, on 09 August 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

iskaral pust would have been way better. i thought for sure it was gunna be him at first - don't we see iskaral fishing at some point in the bonehunters? I find SE's Shadowthrone more entertaining. He's got a more cliche crazy going on that works well I think. Or maybe I was just mad at Warran cause he wasn't iskaral ><

Well pust is probably an avatar of ST anyway, so it makes sense they overlap in interests.

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

Please write out your calculations for that probability.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

And I suppose that reveals what's so special about the donkey.

#24 User is offline   chris777 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

View Postworrywort, on 16 August 2012 - 06:03 AM, said:

And I suppose that reveals what's so special about the donkey.

Which is what? There's a quote of ST saying "I put my High Mage on the job"...talking about Pust. So they are definitely 2 distinct characters. There is also mention of the Donkey changing sexes because it liked Pust so much? Also put up his camp and tent for him. So what are you suggesting?

This post has been edited by chris777: 25 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well, I was joking, since I don't believe Pust is an avatar of ST. But if he waaaasss...that would probably make the mule Cotillion.

#26 User is offline   chris777 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Postworrywort, on 25 September 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

Well, I was joking, since I don't believe Pust is an avatar of ST. But if he waaaasss...that would probably make the mule Cotillion.

haha. Yeah, I missed the sarcasm there I guess. =)

#27 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

ah but to be sure it is a Mule not a Donkey ..... there is apparently a difference and I wouldn't want to call either Pust or Kruppe's Mules meer Donkey's to their faces....

#28 User is offline   chris777 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostAptorius, on 28 April 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

I don't know what I'd think of a comedy set in the Malazan Universe. It think it runs contrary to the nature of the universe.

The comedy bits are small pools of relief in a tale that is otherwise soul crushing in its meaningless nihilism and brutal conviction that people suck. The gods suck. The whole world sucks.

Helian, Ublala, Tehol/Bugg, Pust, ST, Kruppe(kinda)....Who am I forgetting? These are all funny characters. All my favorites.

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

You are forgetting Bauchelain & Korbal Broach, who do nothing but comedies set in the Malazan Universe.

#30 User is offline   Acorn 

• Sergeant
  • SHHH!!

The walls have feet.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostMTS, on 30 April 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

Edgewalker is just one out of countless many who have tried for the Shadow Throne, and his failure resulted in his enslavement. Why, I don't know, but we know he wasn't there from the beginning, and as far as we know isn't aspected to Shadow in the same way that Mael is aspected to Denaeth Rusen, for instance.

Just to point out, in RotCG Kyle witnessed the "birth" of Shadow... If not the birth of the realm and House itself, then the tableau that occured very soon after the appearance of it... Where Anomandaris stops Liossercal from destroying the House. Just after Kyle was called away it says:

"Kyle glanced back to the heap, the "house". He was startled to see yet another figure now standing beside it - this one tall and slim as well, but by his silhouette quite ragged and carrying a longsword at his back."

This leads the reader to assume it is Edgewalker... ragged, long sword, slim and tall... And if I'm not mistaken it goes a step farther than that later in the book. Edgewalker had a lot of work to do in RotCG after all.

I also recall reading that he is indeed Elder, but I can't remember exactly where in the series so don't quote me on that =p

And if this post was too long ago to be quoting, apologies - I hadn't come across the thread until just now, and after reading that nobody else remembered that bit in RotCG I figured I was either completely wrong, or perhaps a genius!
-----

I also agree that Warran's antics were fantastic. I feel that the humor ICE slips into the stories comes off as more genuine and easier... I liked the Corfin bit about having no idea what his Warren looked like, despite the fact that it wasn't really a joke or anything... It was still a good chuckle at a good time.

#31 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostAcorn, on 19 October 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

View PostMTS, on 30 April 2011 - 05:21 AM, said:

Edgewalker is just one out of countless many who have tried for the Shadow Throne, and his failure resulted in his enslavement. Why, I don't know, but we know he wasn't there from the beginning, and as far as we know isn't aspected to Shadow in the same way that Mael is aspected to Denaeth Rusen, for instance.

Just to point out, in RotCG Kyle witnessed the "birth" of Shadow... If not the birth of the realm and House itself, then the tableau that occured very soon after the appearance of it... Where Anomandaris stops Liossercal from destroying the House. Just after Kyle was called away it says:

"Kyle glanced back to the heap, the "house". He was startled to see yet another figure now standing beside it - this one tall and slim as well, but by his silhouette quite ragged and carrying a longsword at his back."

This leads the reader to assume it is Edgewalker... ragged, long sword, slim and tall... And if I'm not mistaken it goes a step farther than that later in the book. Edgewalker had a lot of work to do in RotCG after all.

I also recall reading that he is indeed Elder, but I can't remember exactly where in the series so don't quote me on that =p

And if this post was too long ago to be quoting, apologies - I hadn't come across the thread until just now, and after reading that nobody else remembered that bit in RotCG I figured I was either completely wrong, or perhaps a genius!
-----

I also agree that Warran's antics were fantastic. I feel that the humor ICE slips into the stories comes off as more genuine and easier... I liked the Corfin bit about having no idea what his Warren looked like, despite the fact that it wasn't really a joke or anything... It was still a good chuckle at a good time.

I've always wondered how "Elder" Edgewalker really is, was he born out of the need for someone to patrol the borders of shadow to make sure light or dark didn't exceed their boundaries or maybe he's like Draconus and just plants himself where he sees fit? Either way I don't think ICE or SE should reveal Edgewalker's race or where he came from, at least not directly. It adds to the mystery of the character and that dark quality that makes him so appealing in my opinion.

*I also wonder if the name "Edgewalker" was one given to him or one he took for himself, I think its the first because of the way he roams in Shadow. Then I wonder who it was that gave him that name? SO many questions unanswered is one reason why this series is so enticing.

This post has been edited by CapedCrusader: 30 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users