Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Query first timer Sister Spite

#1 User is offline   Ivanhoe 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

New to the books (since Christmas) and now well into tBH - and hooked!
My question, which troubles me, is the part played by Sister Spite. In the prologue she releases Dejim Nebrahl and does a deal with Veed to kill and replace Mappo - and later aids and guides Mappo to rescue Icarium, in direct conflict with her earlier machinations. Why?
OK, I'm not yet at through (on the sea leaving Seven Cities), and all may be explained, but I'm suspecting not, and their plot-line is soured by this nagging contradiction.
If there's a simple explanation, let me hear it. If it is meshed into a plot development, well just let me find out, but if its unresolved, thoughts please.
You guys (and gals - is there a difference in SE's books?) are awesome. To master this series takes endless dedication. Dedication I hope to equal, K'rul willing.

Respect Artur

#2 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:23 PM

I don't have an answer to your question, I'm about as far into this book as you are-still trying to figure out just what Spite's up to-but I just wanted to comment that you read pretty damn fast. I started around this time last year and you've covered the same amount of ground in only 4-5 months!

This post has been edited by Lusipher: 20 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

#3 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

I havnt got the books to hand but im fairly certain its explained. For now id say that Spite released DN to allow Veed to step in and allow Veed to become Iccy's companion. Mappo ofcourse survived because of Morgora and so leaving Mappo alive, when he has influence with Icarium, may allow Spite a level of influence with Iccy.

Id finish the book first befoe you go diving into threads to finsd these things out though as the ending may get spoiled for you.

#4 User is offline   Ivanhoe 

• Recruit

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

quote 'tiam'

Id finish the book first befoe you go diving into threads to finsd these things out though as the ending may get spoiled for you.

I'd guessed that I was being too quick to find out, but as I said, her actions seem completely illogical considering that Mappo ought to be dead by what she started.
I'll read on .......... as i do most evenings instead of watching TV repeats lol.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

View Posttiam, on 20 April 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

...Id finish the book first ...

QFT.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Ivanhoe 

• Recruit

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

='Abyss'

...Id finish the book first

Well I finished the book, and TotH, and I'm still no wiser. Of course in TotH Spite earns her name, but I never comprehended her intentions over Icarum and Mappo.
Maybe I missed it ....... I do read on longer than intended, until my eyes start to close sometimes ......... an occupational hazard with tMBotF.

Still in Awe of SE ........ and some of you posters.
A re-read after TCG is on the cards for sure ......... there's just so much to digest.

Where's the moonlight? Oh! it's gone. How will songwriters cope now?

This post has been edited by Ivanhoe: 20 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

#7 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Now that youve finished you have to see Spite as turning her back on the NO as a big factor. So as a NO she decided to change the guardianship from Mappo to Veed for their own ends, though after finishing the series I have no idea what these might be. Assumption that has to be made is that she decided against the plan of the NO and out of Spite (lol)decided to foil the NO plans by helping Mappo.

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

View Posttiam, on 21 July 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

Now that youve finished you have to see Spite as turning her back on the NO as a big factor. So as a NO she decided to change the guardianship from Mappo to Veed for their own ends, though after finishing the series I have no idea what these might be. Assumption that has to be made is that she decided against the plan of the NO and out of Spite (lol)decided to foil the NO plans by helping Mappo.

The Nameless Ones try to position Icarium as a weapon to unleash against whomever they want. Mappo mostly prevents that and the Nameless Ones want Icarium to destroy a particular empire which isn't part of their plans. Spite either wanted Icarium shaken loose from Mappo for a short time, but not to permanently sever their connection or had to go along with the Nameless Ones' plan for a while until she could find the perfect moment to free herself (the uncorking of Dejim Nebrahl).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   LordofTheFallen 

• Last King of The Fallen Gods
  • Interests:Leaving flaming bags of Bha'karal poop on the doorsteps of the azath houses.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

I wonder, did the NO plan on being killed by dejim when he was released (blood sacrifice to make him stronger) or did spite just add that to get rid of them?
"It seems I have stumbled upon another crime in progress"
Tehol held out the chicken by it's scrawny neck, "Here then, we never really expected the ransom in any case."

#10 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

I believe it was planned from the start. Spite's betrayal consisted in fleeing.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#11 User is offline   Ivanhoe 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

View Posttiam, on 21 July 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

Thanks for that, to Amphibian also.
I guess it was never clear cut, and I can live that.

She did of course desire Rakes sword, and perhaps wanted to use Icarium to that end ...... I hadn't considered that possibility, but reading your thoughts led me too it.
Ici it seems puts fear even into the ancient gods ............ none are confident of besting him - except Karsa of course. <g>

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users