Space Opera what to read?

#81 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 February 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

View PostImperial Historian, on 13 February 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

I had an 18 hour bus journey so I picked up the Merrimack series on Abyss's recommendation (this wasn't easy as it isn't available on kindle in the UK, I had to pretend to be American)

Popcorn reads, but fairly entertaining, there is a moment towards the end of the first book which really sold me on the series, puts a whole new perspective on things for the second book. I wouldn't praise them as much as abyss, but I did enjoy. And Augustus is definitely a fun character. Definitely what I needed to distract me from the bus ride though.

Glad you liked. There are definitely popcorn elements, it's not MoI, but there were moments of surprising depth for mil sf and that moment at the end of bk 1 you're referring to definitely has cool effect for bk 2, which is actually where i went from like to love for most of these characters.

3, THE SAGITTARIUS COMMAND, is somewhat slower (if you can call a book that starts with aliens eating a planet 'slower') but appears to be building to something insane, brings back a great character who was mostly missing in bk 2, and has the greatest drinking contest ever.

Finished 3. Good fun.

Meluch shifts focus away from the marines a bit (except for one in particular) to more time on the higher ups, but does a really nice job with the upper ranks. This book wasn't perhaps as tense as the first two, but still a fun fast read. And I have to give Meluch credit, she always manages to end a book with a major shift.

On to 4 shortly.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#82 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

^^ This all got me looking at Meluch's novels. I've ordered a second-hand copy of War Birds off Amazon Marketplace. If I like that I'll move on to Merrimack. Thanks for the steer, Abyss.

#83 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thanks guys (Binder of Demons, Caladanbrood and Quicktidal), for recommending Alastair Reynolds. Just ordered House of Suns and I like it very much, more than I expected. Good SF, fast-paced, and nothing wrong with characterization. Great stuff!

#84 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Some absolute hero just sent me the epub versions of all the Merrimack books! ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#85 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

The first two Merrimack books have arrived. I'll get started on them next week probably, I want to finish my current re-read of House of Chains.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#86 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Has anyone here read either of these?

The New Space Opera - "An anthology of epic interstellar adventures from dazzling stars in the SF universe: Kage Baker Stephen Baxter Gregory Benford Tony Daniel Greg Egan Peter F. Hamilton Gwyneth Jones James Patrick Kelly Nancy Kress Ken Macleod Paul J. McAuley Ian McDonald Robert Reed Alastair Reynolds Mary Rosenblum Robert Silverberg Dan Simmons Walter Jon Williams"

The New Space Opera 2 - "Some of the most beloved names in science fiction spin new tales of interstellar adventure and wonder. Neal Asher; John Barnes; Cory Doctorow; John Kessel; Jay Lake; John Meaney; Elizabeth Moon; Garth Nix; Mike Resnick; Justina Robson; Kristine Kathryn Rusch; John Scalzi; Bruce Sterling; Peter Watts; Sean Williams; Tad Williams; Bill Willingham."

I'm tempted to try the first one at least.

#87 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostSerenity, on 05 March 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

The New Space Opera - "An anthology of epic interstellar adventures from dazzling stars in the SF universe: Kage Baker Stephen Baxter Gregory Benford Tony Daniel Greg Egan Peter F. Hamilton Gwyneth Jones James Patrick Kelly Nancy Kress Ken Macleod Paul J. McAuley Ian McDonald Robert Reed Alastair Reynolds Mary Rosenblum Robert Silverberg Dan Simmons Walter Jon Williams"

The New Space Opera 2 - "Some of the most beloved names in science fiction spin new tales of interstellar adventure and wonder. Neal Asher; John Barnes; Cory Doctorow; John Kessel; Jay Lake; John Meaney; Elizabeth Moon; Garth Nix; Mike Resnick; Justina Robson; Kristine Kathryn Rusch; John Scalzi; Bruce Sterling; Peter Watts; Sean Williams; Tad Williams; Bill Willingham."

I own both, but I've only read the second. I enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it. (I have a pretty crappy memory regarding what I've read.) Glancing at the table of contents, I feel like I can safely say the first and last stories were the most memorable.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#88 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 05 March 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

I own both, but I've only read the second. I enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it. (I have a pretty crappy memory regarding what I've read.) Glancing at the table of contents, I feel like I can safely say the first and last stories were the most memorable.

The first and last of anything is the most memorable. See serial position effect.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#89 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Okay, thanks. I think I'll give them a go.

#90 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Someone whose taste i usually trust gave them to me and said they enjoyed them.
The books rest in the TRPFHAB, but given my usual tepid reaction to anthologies, i'm hardly jumping at them.
If you read them and post agreeing with SMZ i may move them up the ranks.

#91 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Someone whose taste i usually trust gave them to me and said they enjoyed them.
The books rest in the TRPFHAB, but given my usual tepid reaction to anthologies, i'm hardly jumping at them.
If you read them and post agreeing with SMZ i may move them up the ranks.

I would be interested in seeing if you have some algorithm for ranking the books in your TRP. I bet it's complicated as all hell.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#92 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 05 March 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

The first and last of anything is the most memorable. See serial position effect.

I didn't actually read them in order, though. Maybe "memorable" was the wrong word, but "Utriusque Cosmi" and "The Far End of History" are both very large-scale stories (think Alastair Reynolds' "Galactic North") that mostly stuck with me because of their sheer scope. I can't give you the details, or even a summary, of either story, but just looking at the titles I can remember them being my favorites.

As an aside, glancing at the Table of Contents again, the name Bill Willingham jumps out at me: I remember nothing of his story, but I do remember thinking, "I've got to read more stuff by this guy." I haven't yet, though...
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#93 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 March 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

...the name Bill Willingham jumps out at me: I remember nothing of his story, but I do remember thinking, "I've got to read more stuff by this guy." I haven't yet, though...

He writes the comic series FABLES, the first 75 issues of which are some of the bestest urban fantasy fiction about fiction ever to feature the Cow Who Jumped Over the Moon on a bombing run.

#94 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:57 PM

Years ago I picked up Mike Resnick's "Starship: Mutiny" in a secondhand store. Noticed it on the shelf the other day so I thought I'd give it a go.

Nice, straightforward light space opera. Nothing deep, but the 260+ pages turn quickly. Will read the next 4 in the series. Apparently it's part of a greater mythos - the "Birthright Universe", with heaps of novels and short stories set over something like 20000 years of humanity's rise and fall. I even have some of them ("Ivory" short story collection and some others in other collections), but didn't know they were part of a greater whole. There you go. Might put them together.

Seven alien arms out of ten.

There was one passage about ... well, it's not spoiling it if I tell you there's a trial for mutiny. Duh. But here's spoiler tags anyway:

Spoiler

Made me think how some things never change. Book was written in 2005, not so long ago. But pretty much it could apply to any time period at all where the masses were (are) manipulated by misinformation.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 January 2023 - 01:01 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#95 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:03 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 16 January 2023 - 12:57 PM, said:

humanity's rise and fall.

Spoilers!!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#96 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:08 PM

Vader is Luke's father and Verbal Kint is Keyser Soze.

:p

Well, you demanded them. That WAS demanding, right?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 16 January 2023 - 01:08 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#97 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:16 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 16 January 2023 - 01:08 PM, said:

Verbal Kint is Keyser Soze.

Say that five times fast!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#98 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:25 PM

I almost made it, but stumbled on the 5th repetition. :(

#99 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 January 2023 - 04:26 PM

Also, I'm told that, at the end of the movie, the ship does indeed actually sink.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#100 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 January 2023 - 05:37 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 16 January 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

Also, I'm told that, at the end of the movie, the ship does indeed actually sink.

But Jack becomes part of the world Tree. EYWA HAS HEARD YOU JACK DAWSON....also good news, that girl you loved? She's in the reef tribe Metkayina, so you're good to go....you like fish-tailed blue catwomen women yeah?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 January 2023 - 05:38 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users