• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Space Opera what to read?

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

Thirding Amph's recommendation for Scalzi and seconding Morgan. Yup yup!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

Thanks everyone :)

I've looked up most of your recommendations and have decided on these:

Revelation Space
Old Man's War
The Dread Empire's Fall
The Dragon Never Sleeps

I'll check out Watt online too.

I may not read all of the above, depending on when my space opera craving is satisfied.

Simmons, Cherryh, Webber, Vance and Bester I'm saving for my next foray into sci-fi.

Feels refreshing to get into a different genre after reading pretty much only fantasy for about 5 years.

#23 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:23 AM

View PostBombur, on 30 March 2011 - 01:37 AM, said:

Feels refreshing to get into a different genre after reading pretty much only fantasy for about 5 years.

Like Irravel Veda chasing after her sleepers, the search for excellent books never ends. We're lucky that there's enough out there that it takes a good chunk of a lifetime to get to most of them.

(Alistair Reynolds fans, unite!)
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#24 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Never read any Reynolds. Or most of the authors listed here, actually. I should take a look at them sometime...

I haven't read much space opera, but I would recommend Dune, Hyperion, and The Night's Dawn Trilogy. All excellent. I also enjoyed Foundation but it is a bit different (mostly due to the short story structure, as someone said).

EDIT: I see the OP has read most of my short list... :) Oh well.

This post has been edited by ansible: 30 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#25 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

View Postansible, on 30 March 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

Never read any Reynolds. Or most of the authors listed here, actually. I should take a look at them sometime...

I haven't read much space opera, but I would recommend Dune, Hyperion, and The Night's Dawn Trilogy. All excellent. I also enjoyed Foundation but it is a bit different (mostly due to the short story structure, as someone said).

EDIT: I see the OP has read most of my short list... :) Oh well.

lol thanks though. I plan to read Hyperion sometime since it seems to have pretty much universal love.

#26 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:41 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 29 March 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

I read some of those. They are horrendous.

How so?
Albeit, I read them over 4 years ago, but I didn't think they were that bad.

#27 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:42 AM

Finally got around to starting The Prefect - it's been staring at me for a while. It's the only paperback Reynolds I haven't read yet, so this thread has inspired me to read it before Terminal World is released in PB :gando:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#28 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

Also check out:

Octavia Butler: Xenogenesis Trilogy (aka Lilith's Brood)
Justina Robson: Natural History
Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle: The Mote In God's Eye and sequel The Moat Around Murcheson's Eye
Greg Bear: Eon and Eternity
Cordwainer Smith: The Instrumentality of Mankind; Norstrilia
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#29 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 29 March 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

Chasm City is Reynold's best book. And fairly rare in the genre in that it is completely stand-alone, even if it is in the same universe as some of his others. That is definitely the author's strength, his best books are outside his Revelation Space series. House of Suns and Pushing Ice are my next two favourites after Chasm City, and all three are standalone. I can't wait until Terminal World is out in paperback in the next month or so, it looks awesome.

Chasm City is a seriously awesome book, one of my favorites in the genre.

I also can't suggest Glen Cook's Passage At Arms highly enough. It takes place within the Starfishers universe, but I THINK it takes place far before the events of the Starfishers Trilogy. It was another really good, really impressive book.

#30 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

View Postbusy monster, on 04 April 2011 - 03:19 PM, said:

Chasm City is Reynold's best book. And fairly rare in the genre in that it is completely stand-alone, even if it is in the same universe as some of his others. That is definitely the author's strength, his best books are outside his Revelation Space series. House of Suns and Pushing Ice are my next two favourites after Chasm City, and all three are standalone. I can't wait until Terminal World is out in paperback in the next month or so, it looks awesome.

Chasm City is a seriously awesome book, one of my favorites in the genre.

I also can't suggest Glen Cook's Passage At Arms highly enough. It takes place within the Starfishers universe, but I THINK it takes place far before the events of the Starfishers Trilogy. It was another really good, really impressive book.

All I've read of Cook is the Black Company. I enjoyed that and I'm looking forward to his sci-fi. I have The Dragon Never Sleeps on order.

#31 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

Passage At Arms is about submarines in space, good military sf.

#32 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Terminal World - excellent. There's some elements similar to that of Mieville's Perdido Street Station and The Scar in terms of features and even plotting, but Reynolds makes it all his own and delivers a wonderful book.

#33 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I'm looking fwd to Reynolds new trilogy start BLUE REMEMBERED EARTH.

My buddy returned GALACTIC NORTH to me two days ago and for shits I re-read the Galiana/Clavain/Felka short story THE GREAT WALL OF MARS and realized the absolute and sheer genius of it on the reread. Probably one of the most succinct and interesting things Reynolds has written in short fiction (if not THE best)

I have HOUSE OF SUNS, and ZERO BLUE awaiting me too, as I've not yet read them...and I want to get THE PREFECT.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#34 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Zima Blue?

#35 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Do they even make that anymore?
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

View Postamphibian, on 05 April 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

Zima Blue?

Dammit! Yeah, duh...I meant Zima Blue...Thanks for the correction, my brain is not working properly today.

#37 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 April 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

I have HOUSE OF SUNS, and ZERO BLUE awaiting me too, as I've not yet read them...and I want to get THE PREFECT.

House of Suns is probably my second favourite Reynolds, after Chasm City. Recommend giving it a go as soon as you can.

Currently about 100 pages into The Prefect. I had heard some reviews that said it wasn't as good as earlier books, but I am finding it very enjoyable so far!
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#38 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

It's been a while since I read it, but isn't House of Suns the first in a series, rather than a standalone?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#39 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Not that I know of... though suddenly I hope so, it was awesome and I want more!!

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 06 April 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 05 April 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

House of Suns is probably my second favourite Reynolds, after Chasm City. Recommend giving it a go as soon as you can.

Currently about 100 pages into The Prefect. I had heard some reviews that said it wasn't as good as earlier books, but I am finding it very enjoyable so far!

Cool, thanks for the endorsement.

Yeah, I read the first chapter of The Prefect in the store long before I'd read any other Reynolds and even though I only read that section to see if I liked his writing, I still really enjoyed it.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users