• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MTS (Mappos Traveling Sack)

#1 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

1) How were you introduced to the Malazan series?

By my brother. I was looking for something new, so he gave them to me to read. I think he's still struggling through Toll The Hounds at the moment. It was right before Midnight Tides came out, so I was something like 13-14 at the time. I hadn't gravitated past Eddings and Harry Potter at that stage, so it was quite revelatory in comparison. I was hooked from the first page, pretty much, and blitzed through the next three. Thinking about it now, that was probably the moment I really started to get into fantasy. Thanks bro.

2) What brought you to Malazan Empire forums?

What brings most people here probably. A plethora of questions, and a desire to talk with others about it, as I had no one to talk about it with - my brother wasn't half as excited about it as I was, and my friends were sick of me trying to get them to read it. Probably wanted to know when the next book came out too, as I think Reaper's Gale came out not long after I joined.

3) Are you a member of many other forums?

I'm a member of a fantasy football forum that a couple of my friends own and operate. That's Australian Rules football by the way - real football. It's a SuperCoach one for the Aussies out there. Other than that I'm not a member of any other forums. I signed up to Westeros a couple of years ago after I read ASOIAF for the first time, but I don't think I ever posted. I don't think I'm sufficiently passionate about anything else that requires a forum to post on - most forms of entertainment/sport are discussed here anyway lol.

4) Do you remember your first post? What was it and who responded?

I do remember my first post. It was in a thread about (spoilers just in case)
Spoiler

The thread was something like 10 pages long when I jumped in and shared my thoughts. I got the 'somebody said that two pages ago, read the fucking thread n00b' treatment I'm fairly sure. Can't remember who said it. I think my second post was completely ignored too. That didn't deter me though, and I'm still here almost four years later.

5) Which members do you feel a special connection with?

Well, most recently there's Dag, for our (well, her) morning chats, and snake, for being a funny bastard in the chat. Then there's also the Mafia crew and the Trickster regulars. I have a lot of fun talking about stuff in the book forums with D'rek, Sinisdar, Abyss and all the others too.
6) So…a traveling sack. Was this a fit of cleverness, or is there something more behind your name? And why the change to the shorter “MTS”?

I dunno if it was cleverness, but it was certainly a fit of some kind. My first choice was taken actually, but I can't remember what name I originally chose. I don't think there was any particular reason I chose it. It was probably spurred on by having read Bonehunters recently, and I do like Mappo as a character.

As for the shortening, it always bothered me that because it was so long the forum didn't show the whole thing, and so when HD shortened his from HoosierDaddy, I decided to follow suit. Maybe SB calling me 'the Sack' for a while played a role too.

I've never really liked it as a name either, and despite the acronym being linked to various transit and telecom companies, numerous diseases and even means STD in French, I haven't been bothered to change it.

7) What fantasy series would be your second choice behind (obviously) MBotF?

That's tough. If I were to choose, it would be one of Feist/Wurts' Empire trilogy (which I've probably re-read 5+ times), Butcher's Dresden Files and GGK's Sarantine Mosaic.

8) Can you hold your drink, and what's your drink of choice?

I like to think I can hold my drink, for my size anyway. Drink of choice depends on where I am. Generally a nice cold lager is my drink of choice, but occasionally I'll break out the goon (otherwise known as a $10 bag of cask wine) if money's tight or we have a rotating clothesline to play Goon of Fortune on, and I do like my rum/vodka and cokes in between skittle shots and jager bombs when I'm at a club. I've never been a fan of whiskey, bourbon or any other dark spirits though. Blasphemy, I know.

9) What members would you particularly like to meet in real life (who you have not met previously)?

I've only met Sindriss so far, so there really isn't anyone I wouldn't like to meet. Hoping to make my way across to Europe sometime in the near future, so I'd get plenty of opportunity then. I doubt any of you would be worse guides than I was to Sindriss.

10) So, what exactly are you doing with your life?

I'm going to uni in Canberra, doing a regular Arts degree, majoring in English and Classics. So a lot of people would say 'nothing' at the moment, and they wouldn't be totally off-base either. In my third year, so my last year of undergrad. Hoping to do an Honours year next year. Haven't really thought any further than that really. I'm also working casual in a local supermarket, as well as working the bar at the local indoor soccer place, which is great fun.

11) If you were stranded on a desert island with only one MBotF, which one is it?

Ooh, this is even tougher than the second favourite series question. I'll say Toll The Hounds, as it's definitely the most beautifully written of them all, and I do have a soft spot for great prose. I could re-read that book a hundred times and still be blown away by the writing.

Besides, worst comes to worst I could use it as a raft.

12) If you met Steven Erikson and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

WHY MAPPO?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

13) Who is you favorite character from the series?

I'm going to be very boring and say Shadowthrone. Everything about him is brilliant though. Brings down walls with earthquakes, fakes his own death, wily as hell, annoys and confounds every god in the pantheon, commands undead armies, is certifiably insane, had a demon for a bouncer, an assassin god for a companion, steals every scene he's in and best of all, he's one of the few people who manage to remain badass with a cane.

Not that you asked, but least favourite character? The Errant. Bastard.

14) You can travel around the world with your own Mappo’s Traveling Sack. What 5 items would we find stuffed in there?

Certainly not the mangled corpses of Tairy, Stephenie Meyer, Justin Bieber, a certain lazy asshat at work and my iPod for some good tunage...

15) Who wins?

Wolverine Abyss. No no, I said Wolverine Abyss wins. Ow, why is my head hurting all of a sudden? Wolverine Abyss wins. Wolverine Abyss. WOLVERINE! ABYSS! C'mon seriously, cut it out, clearly Wolverine Abyss wins. I said Wolverine Abyss wins dammit, stop messing with my head! This is ridiculous, there's no way anyone can win over Wolverine Abyss!

*rocks back and forth, hugging self*

What is happening to me...?
16) What are your music preferences? Do you play an instrument?

Pretty much anything with a guitar I'm likely to love. My tastes range from all kinds of metal, screamo, alternative, psychedelic and 'indie' rock. I even like some electropop, like Passion Pit and Owl City. I really only stay away from mass-produced auto-tune garbage, rap and techno. Anything else I've got a fair chance of liking.

I used to play drums for a while. I stopped a couple of years ago, mainly because I had nowhere to practice and my drum kit was a piece of shit. Not being very good didn't help either.

17) Do you do any creative writing yourself?

I'm not nearly creative enough for that. I used to back in high school though. Wrote a few short stories, and one poem, before realising I'm utterly horrible at writing poetry. It gave me a great admiration for what others can do with a few words though, so there's that.

18) When not reading MBotF, what are you typically curling up with?
Fantasy, mostly. Not a lot of sci-fi though. I generally make my way through the recommendations that people make on here, so my TRP is pretty long. Top of the list right now is John Scalzi's Old Man's War, Lukyanenko's Night Watch, Patrick Lee's Ghost Country and Wise Man's Fear.

As an English student I also end up reading a lot of 'literature' as well. Recently I had to read Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Phillip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. They were for a novel vs. film course too, so I got to watch Apocalypse Now and Blade Runner on top of that. Awesome.

19) Do you keep a personal library, or do the books just cycle through your possession?

Not really. I have a decent-size collection (maybe 50-60?), but that was amassed when I had parents that would buy me stuff. Now I buy the occasional book if I want it badly enough, but apart from SE I still wait for a bit before I do so. Nowadays the library is my best friend for reading material.

20) Please bare one random little known fact about yourself for the peanut gallery please.

I accidentally drove a motorbike through a picket fence when I was 15. Didn't break anything luckily, but I've got a nice little scar on my chest about 6-7 cm long from clipping a protruding nail on the way through though. Suffice it to say, my uncle's never let me near one of his motorbikes again.

This post has been edited by Shinrei: 20 September 2011 - 06:17 AM

You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#2 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

View PostShinrei, on 26 March 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

Maybe SB calling me 'the Sack' for a while played a role too.

Hahahahah...

Sorry bro, I didnt know it would scar you so deeply. :)
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Good interview!

Customs might have a few questions for you in your world travels, though.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 March 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

Maybe SB calling me 'the Sack' for a while played a role too.

Hahahahah...

Sorry bro, I didnt know it would scar you so deeply. :)

There was a ':)' smiley there, it was half in jest. But oh, what a terrible other half... :)

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 26 March 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Good interview!

Customs might have a few questions for you in your world travels, though.

Nah, make 'em read some Tairy or Twilight while being serenaded by Bieber and I'll roll right through. Might even get me a medal for my troubles...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

Good interview...

I accidentally drove a motorbike through a picket fence when I was 15. Didn't break anything luckily, but I've got a nice little scar on my chest about 6-7 cm long from clipping a protruding nail on the way through though. Suffice it to say, my uncle's never let me near one of his motorbikes again.

He should keep you away from nails too.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Besides, worst comes to worst I could use it as a raft.

lol!

We like MTS!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 26 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Excellent interview, and I'll admit I had thought you were considerably older than me (though now it appears we're rather close), if not simply for how badly your post-count exceeds mine.

The wonders never cease, a MBotF fan who doesn't like his whiskey.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#8 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

As long as he can drink a Rusty Gauntlet, he can still be one of the 'cool kids'.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

#9 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

Rusty Gauntlet...that's rum and wine, right? Sounds vile, but I'll give it a try this weekend. :)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#10 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

Great interview.

You were a fine guide MTS, don't sweat it. Although I am not sure how good you hold your alcohol, you seemed a bit drunk when we decided to split :) But thanks for wasting a day with me in Melbourne Central, getting semi-drunk and looking at girls. Great fun mate !

Man, I thought me and a mate invented Goon of Fortune (which is a killer game. Literally, it will kill you), but I guess he heard about it from some locals then and got inspired.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

I WIN!!!!!

Also, good interview.

But mostly I WIN!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

"The Sack", lulz. I would've changed too :gando:

And men with scars...niiiiiiiice!Posted Image
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#13 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

Ah, that is what MTS stands for. Ah the baggage we carry around.

How about the story behind that little cartoon? Cute :-)

and where does all that Quote power come from? Dont' tell me you are one of those guys who "remember everything" :-)

since you are are Ninja, what is your favourite Chambara movie?

and how did you end up with Abyss in your brain. Was it those signatures, delivered with such elan.

#14 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

Oh, can a nice mod-type-person move D'rek to the subforum please? She doesn't mind, she's a worm. Just sprinkle some warm beer and gummies around.

#15 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:34 AM

View PostGrimface Insultbear, on 01 April 2011 - 08:28 AM, said:

And men with scars...niiiiiiiice!Posted Image

I occasionally get that response, but then I tell them how it happened and they're less impressed. :gando:

View Postnacht, on 01 April 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

How about the story behind that little cartoon? Cute :-)

Are you talking about my avatar? That's GIR from Invader Zim, which is a brilliant cartoon.

and where does all that Quote power come from? Dont' tell me you are one of those guys who "remember everything" :-)

*shrugs* I don't remember everything, it just involves a rather sad amount of time flipping through the books.

The only one I've seen is 47 Ronin, sooo...that one?

and how did you end up with Abyss in your brain. Was it those signatures, delivered with such elan.

Oh, didn't you know? I'm but one of Abyss' many sockpuppets that he's using to wage his eternal war against the wheelchair-stealing, horse-loving, goat-violator known as Apt Apterson.

This post has been edited by MTS: 01 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

#16 User is offline   snake0026 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostMTS, on 01 April 2011 - 10:34 AM, said:

Oh, didn't you know? I'm but one of Abyss' many sockpuppets

So you have perpetually got Abyss' hand stuck up your ass? :gando:
"But I saw you [Snake]…faced by Anomander [Mandy] himself. How did…"
"I escape? Well, I dazzled him with fancy words, edging ever closer, then used my ninja skills to strike like a cobra, knocking the sword [Spamnipur] away and drop-kicking him over the side before tumbling backwards, slaying another Piss'd Andii on the way."
Silence. Lots of silence. "Fine!" He shrugged and grinned, "Someone hit him in the face with a coin, and he cursed just long enough for me to get away." ~ Excerpt from Gardens of the Tea Spoon

#17 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:22 PM

View Postsnake0026, on 01 April 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

Please Abyss, don't go "Mael' on us. The Forkrul will take care of this guy.

Or, Is this your handiwork Apt?

#18 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

[

The only one I've seen is 47 Ronin, sooo...that one?

What!! just one, though that's a good one.

I would suggest that you watch a few more (with your girlfriend :-). You are too cool to not have watched Samurai.

Lone wolf and Cub (the first 3)
Sword of Doom
Rashomon
Harakiri
Samurai Trilogy
Yojimbo
The seven samurai
Hidden Fortress
Onibaba

#19 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

I'd recommend the old-school Zatoichi film series too, and the two Lady Snowblood movies. They're fun, more in the vein of the Lone Wolf and Cub series...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#20 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:25 AM

View Postsnake0026, on 01 April 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

Haha walked right into that one, didn't I?

@nacht, cheers for the list, I'll definitely check those out.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users