Malazan Empire: Do you read the poems at the start of each chapter - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you read the poems at the start of each chapter as above!

Poll: Do you read the poems at the start of each chapter (139 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you read the poems at the start of each chapter?

1. yes (105 votes [75.54%])

Percentage of vote: 75.54%

2. no (34 votes [24.46%])

Percentage of vote: 24.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:I am a sponge and I soak up everyone else's interests. I am however partial to socks.

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:51 AM

Soooo im pretty new here and i really dont want to be putting my foot in my mouth or doing things im not ment to but i had a quick look around and could not find anything like this...

Anyway real easy question!! i ask cause i dont bother! i start off reading them for the first few chapters then just cant be bothered and am too eager to read the actual story!! what can i say im like a kid a christmas when i get a new mbotf novel!!!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain(wrong series, ed)

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#2 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:55 AM

sometimes i read the little story ones, or the book extracts, but usually i skip the poems unless i recognize the author
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#3 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:05 AM

There's a lot of excellent stuff hidden in them, so I always check them out. The Lay of Skinner is a particularly good one.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#4 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist
  • Interests:I am a sponge and I soak up everyone else's interests. I am however partial to socks.

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

oh i forgot to vote on my own poll, doh!! oh when i said poems it was an umbrella term for "random stuff at start of chapters" yep thats what it was..

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#5 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

Generally I do, especially if it's Fisher -- Felisin was okay, but some of the others kinda drag. I loved all the excerpts of Anomandaris, especially.

Okay, Toc the Younger wasn't too bad, either. Which is saying a lot since me and poetry are kindasorta mortal enemies.

I was actually kinda disappointed in some of the ones in TCG & DoD; they just didn't seem as awesome and I admit I skipped through some of them.

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:56 AM

I always do. I won't try to say that SE is an amazing poet, but there's some great ideas in some of the poems. A lot of them have a healthy amount of pathos within them as well.

My favorite is at the beginning of The Bonehunters.

For all that is made real
In this age of descending
Where heroes leave naught
But the iron ring of their names
From bardic throats
I stand in this silent heart
Yearning the fading beat
Of lives fallen to dust
And the sifting whisper
Proclaims glory's passing
As the songs fail
In dwindling echoes
For all that is made real
The chambers and halls
Yawn empty to my cries -
For someone must
Give answer
Give answer
To all of this
Someone

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:14 AM

I actually got really frustrated with the poems in TCG. In the earlier books we had all kinds of infodumps and small hints at the plots via the chapter openers, in TCG it was pretty much just hard to discern poetry.

I guess the poetry in itself may not be so bad, I wouldn't know I'm not really into poetry, so I skimmed the stuff to see if something interesting popped out. The problem to me is that when you're really into it and just want to start the next chapter right away, it's something of a tempo shift to have to analyse a two page long poem about pottery or what ever.

#8 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:07 AM

View PostClockwork Apt, on 23 March 2011 - 04:14 AM, said:

I actually got really frustrated with the poems in TCG. In the earlier books we had all kinds of infodumps and small hints at the plots via the chapter openers, in TCG it was pretty much just hard to discern poetry.

I guess the poetry in itself may not be so bad, I wouldn't know I'm not really into poetry, so I skimmed the stuff to see if something interesting popped out. The problem to me is that when you're really into it and just want to start the next chapter right away, it's something of a tempo shift to have to analyse a two page long poem about pottery or what ever.

This, pretty much. Except I like to pretend I'm a poet, which makes it worse. They also seemed a lot longer in the TCG than before, and... honestly, just not as good. I usually enjoy SE's poetry, but it just didn't seem to match the... moving-ness of the rest of the book, which I think is a shame and a wasted opportunity.
These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#9 User is offline   MoK3 

• Recruit
  • Interests:fishing...fishing...fishing and reading
  • blargh!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:28 AM

nI agree with most of you guys, the first four books of the series had lots of goodies in them and foreshadowing and stuff which I found got less and less as the series went on. I do however find myself reading the Fisher poems and the Duiker stuff and I keep my eye open for the ones that are dated and might tell me something

#10 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:06 AM

You should include more options in your poll - me, for example, the first time through I only read the non-poetry openers. I go through the poems on a second reading. It's just that, coupled with my general dislike for the poetic form, when I see a 1,5-page long cipher I'd spend as much time deciphering as I would spend reading the next chapter, well, the choice is obvious.

Now that you mention it, though, I'm wondering about one chapter opener - 'He was not a modest man. Contemplatign suicide, he summoned a dragon.' - who was G-man referring to?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#11 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

In my oppinion the poetry is all very much worth it, I always read it. The one from Fisher at the epilogue of Toll was almost heartrendingly good. (Part of it is included in my signature)
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

On the re-read absolutely. On the first run, despite my best intentions, i tend to read info-bits but only skim poems. That said i do check who the author was, because while Fisher or Bule or whoever tends to be verse barely tanegtial to the next chapter, Toc, Felisin or other 'in play' characters sneak in every so often.

- Abyss, remembers 'Warleader Temul' from MoI.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Generally read them now, used to skim read them until I realised you can find some juicy tidbits contained within!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#14 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

I tend to read the prose parts, you know the historic bits and such, but I usually don't bother with the poems
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#15 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

I want to, and try to, but I can't get through it!
The excerts etc I can handle, I can't do the poetry thou :rolleyes:
Heh, I try to skim it to see if it looks like anything important but I typically can't even do that. :)
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#16 User is offline   Sir Bob 

• High Fist

And sarcasm.
  • @DolefulDoug

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

i was at a book signing a few years back(reapers gale i think) and S.E read extracts from his book, including a poem or two, so he must like em, maybe.

@gothos- You should include more options in your poll. i should but im lazy and lack imagination, there is no getting away from it!!

pullupapew.wordpress.com

*hugs*

#17 User is offline   RSM616 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

i think that its important to read the poems, not just because in some cases it gives you hints to future events but because it also helps ad to the scale and history of the world being created and ads and extra dimension to things

#18 User is offline   Dmyster 

• Recruit

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:25 AM

Absolutely! I really like them actually, I find they help set the mood and further immerse me in the Malazan world.

#19 User is offline   Sowilo 

• Recruit

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Ya I always do I like how they have clues interwoven into them for the upcoming chapters I particularly love fishers stuff I think it was in toll the hounds or memories of ice where I kept reading over one particular poem cause it was so well put together!

#20 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

No. I normally skip the songs and poems in fantasy. Though some of the material in Malazan does reward a re-read once you know enough to tease out the meanings. Always read the extracts from other books when they open a chapter.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users