• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How the heck do I follow that... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Is anyone else who has finished it feeling a huge gaping, sucking hole in their reading?

I have picked up 3 books today in attempts to read something, but my brain just can't get into anything after that ending..

I don't have a clue what to read now....sigh.

am sad.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

I know what you mean I finished a few days ago but kind of feel like I've not really left it behind as such, kind of at a loss. I asked my mum if she ever felt a hollow place after finishing a book but she just looked at me like I'd lost it (not that this is out of the ordinary). Instead of reading a fantasy book I've changed tack completely in the hopes that it will help. So far I'm only about 100 pages on and its slow going but we'll see, I still feel restless.
Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#3 User is offline   Forestbrain 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm going to read some Glen Cook. I've never read any of his stuff before, but he's highly recommended.
Even so.

#4 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thankfully I had Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes waiting for me, though I still had to leave it a week or so after finishing TCG. Now I'm on a reread of the entire series so that should keep me going for a while, though I've already finished GotM.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#5 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

After finishing tCG, everything else feels...cartoonish. I read The Heroes, enjoyed it. Now I'm back re-reading Richard K. Morgan's Kovacs Tales. Read all of Cooks stuff, recently re-read GRRMs stuff. I need a new Fat Fantasy Fix.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#6 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostForestbrain, on 19 March 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

I'm going to read some Glen Cook. I've never read any of his stuff before, but he's highly recommended.

There is a Malazan feel to those books, very good filler if you need an SE fix. Have you read all of ICE's stuff?
HAIL THE MARINES!

#7 User is offline   TheHornedOne 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Metal

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, I finished it yesterday and have picked up three or four books since in an attempt to find something worthy, nothing yet :/
That will pass in time no doubt, though.

But I do recommend The Black Company by Glen Cook, as it definitely inspired some of Steven Erikson's work. Also, his Insturmentalities of the Night series is amazing, a lot of history in it.

I did go through and read a lot of Sumerian myths after finishing the last book. T'iam was an all too familiar name for me, low and behold, Tiamat of Sumerian Mythology is a multi-headed chaos dragon that dwells in the underworld. Go figure o:
"You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us."

#8 User is offline   MrRedhands 

• Recruit

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

re-reading the whole series something ipromised myself after finishing Toll the Hounds and after that got 4 or 5 Glen Cook books, might try The Heroes after that seems highly liked in these parts ;)

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:44 PM

I'm glad it's not just me.

I've never felt like this at all after finishing a book.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

I've gone back to Non-fiction. Seems only reasonable.

I've had all the books moved to my new place for a reread but too many non fiction stuff to start. Then it turns out my Dad has a copy of China Mieville which he's given me.

Still I throughly understand your position.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#11 User is offline   Grace 

• Recruit

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:41 AM

I'm in the same boat, finished TCG over a week ago now but am still not really up to reading much else, not even a TCG or MBotF reread. Instead I too have resorted to reading some nonfiction and flipping open TCG to read some random, brief chunks. The book was definitely a draining experience, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

#12 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

I haven't read any books whatsoever since I finished TCG.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#13 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

I read some Butcher but even Dresden Crack couldn't get a hold of me. I saw a new Ian Banks culture book called Sudden Departure I might give that a try.

Really wasn't expecting for the end hit to be this hard. I haven't even been able to get myself to do a reread. I expect that I will do that in another month or so. It was just to good.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#14 User is offline   Forestbrain 

• Recruit
  • Interests:.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

View PostGatekeeper, on 19 March 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

View PostForestbrain, on 19 March 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

There is a Malazan feel to those books, very good filler if you need an SE fix. Have you read all of ICE's stuff?

Funny thing: I have "Night of Knives", but I haven't read it yet. I read a LOT of classics (Bronte sisters, Shakespeare, Doyle, etc.), so I'm always torn about what to read next. I know I should read ICE's stuff, but I'm rather tempted right now by Cook.

I was going to mention that immediately, the names leapt out at me! ;) But I always did like a writer who unabashedly gave a shout-out to his or her favorite authors. I wrote a novel and did that with a few authors and musicians, although they were rather obscure, but I digress. I like what Erikson did with that.
Even so.

#15 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

I had that empty feeling too...

I went in to the local bookshop before tCG came out and there must of been 10-12 books that I wanted to read...

I finished tCG and went back to the bookshop to get sorted and I must of just stared at the shelves, there now wasn't any book grabbed my attention and I can just remember thinking... "meh" and I walked out with nothing...

Ended up not reading for a week then I discovered I had Jim Butchers Codex Alera series on my laptop - they've been devoured since, just started the 5th book!

Glad to be back to normal but I thought tCG had left me damaged!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#16 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Yep, I know exactly the feeling. I finished three weeks ago, I have a copy of Wise Man's Fear and I haven't even been able to crack it open. I just ... can't; not ready to let the Malazan world go. Trying to get through Stonewielder and even that's not entirely working out for me (and I like ICE's books).

I'll have to try everything again after a Malazan re-read. Fortunately that shouldn't take me long, because my brother is going to lynch me if I don't start WMF soon. e__e

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

I was finally able to start WISE MAN'S FEAR...I'm only on like page 10, but so far I am able to concentrate on it...we shall see.

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

I read Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck right after. It's short and non-fiction, but I'd imagine lots of JS is a good non-fantasy antidote to SE since he's also a nothing-wasted and ground-level philosophical type of writer. East of Eden has its roots in history (though several hundred thousand years fewer I suppose); Of Mice and Men has its downtrodden heroes and innocents; and The Grapes of Wrath has its own Chain of Dogs, of sorts.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19 User is offline   MWKarsa 

• Midget Toblakai
  • Interests:Reading, Sports, Exercise and all things Texas Longhorn.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

I started Abyss- the 3rd book in the Fate of the Jedi series as SW writing is super simplistic and normally I can burn through them in a few days though I'm just on page 70 so far. Once I finish that I'm really looking forward to The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge as I want to switch gears and read a little history stuff as the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre seems a little less to me ATM. Will either restart with the Dresden Files/Codex Alera/Glen Cook/George RR Martin/Abercrombie books I've piled up.

#20 User is offline   Trusty 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:06 AM

I haven't been able to start anything else either.

If I hadn't already read Makers by Cory Doctorow, that would be the perfect follow-up. Excellent characters, well written and full of truth. Just like SE in those respects.

As it is, I think I will return to Earthquake Weather by Tim Powers. Crazy ride so far, we'll see how it goes picking it up again...

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users