Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

100 stormguard missing? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   High Mage of Ruse 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hi. Just finished the book and was trying to work out what happened to the 100 stormguard from the wall that Hiam sent to Yeull in exchange for the promise of soldiers for the wall. Why did Yeull want them? What happened to them?

#2 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

I assume they were amongst Yeull's forces as he prepared to fight the Malazans so lightly got washed away with the rest of them.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#3 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

I thought they were the ones in the caves actually. Im not sure why I thought that but yeh they probably gt washed away.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

View Posttiam, on 11 March 2011 - 03:01 PM, said:

I thought they were the ones in the caves actually...

That was them. People on the Wall were stunned that the Guard were allowed to leave the wall in the first place and the Malazans were so surprised to find them in the caves.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   High Mage of Ruse 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

That was them. People on the Wall were stunned that the Guard were allowed to leave the wall in the first place and the Malazans were so surprised to find them in the caves.

Thought that might be them. But thought that the chosen in the caves might be its regular guards, like the ones in the tower at the end. Who was guarding this chest before them then? And how come Yeull wanted it guarded? How did he know about it? Wouldn't the lady just ask the stormguard herself?

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

View PostHigh Mage of Ruse, on 11 March 2011 - 03:32 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 11 March 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

Thought that might be them. But thought that the chosen in the caves might be its regular guards, like the ones in the tower at the end. Who was guarding this chest before them then? And how come Yeull wanted it guarded? How did he know about it? Wouldn't the lady just ask the stormguard herself?

Ah i thought that was them. However like HM of R has said I cant remember exactly why they were needed by Yeull? The piece of the Lady in the tower seemed to be guarded by Stormguard so why wouldnt this other piece by guarded by Stormguard.

#7 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:09 PM

‘An exchange, Quint. Overlord Yeull of Rool has promised ten thousand troops for one hundred Stormguard. Soldiers, Quint! Not starving, cringing prisoners or bullied conscripts. Trained fighting men.’
The man was shaking his head, his eyes swimming in tears. ‘Ten...You fool...he is laughing at you right now. They’ve been invaded – he’ll never send any of them!’
The spear was almost level now. So, it is to be the blade for me, is it, Quint? Hiam fought to keep his voice level. ‘Then Courval will return. Do you really think those Roolians could stop a hundred Stormguard?’

‘Yes, he came. And his men will buy us the time we need till the end of the season. Then, come spring and summer, we will help reinstall him.'

So as the Wall didn't survive the season despite Yuell's men, those hundred Stormguard were never sent. I'd be surprised if there's still a hundred Stormguard left, quite frankly.

This post has been edited by MTS: 11 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#8 User is offline   High Mage of Ruse 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostMTS, on 11 March 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

‘An exchange, Quint. Overlord Yeull of Rool has promised ten thousand troops for one hundred Stormguard. Soldiers, Quint! Not starving, cringing prisoners or bullied conscripts. Trained fighting men.’
The man was shaking his head, his eyes swimming in tears. ‘Ten...You fool...he is laughing at you right now. They’ve been invaded – he’ll never send any of them!’
The spear was almost level now. So, it is to be the blade for me, is it, Quint? Hiam fought to keep his voice level. ‘Then Courval will return. Do you really think those Roolians could stop a hundred Stormguard?’

‘Yes, he came. And his men will buy us the time we need till the end of the season. Then, come spring and summer, we will help reinstall him.'

So as the Wall didn't survive the season despite Yuell's men, those hundred Stormguard were never sent. I'd be surprised if there's still a hundred Stormguard left, quite frankly.

Hi MTS. I think they did leave the wall. On the page before the one you have quoted, Quint asks Hiam where Courval has gone. And Gall and some others. So they must have left straight away. Back when Yeulls messenger made the request to Hiam, it stated something like the messenger had won. It gave the impression that Yeull was up to something sneaky! But these men were never explicitly mentioned again. Strange. At the time I wondered if Ussu wanted them for his experiments as they would survive longer than most, like he used Bars. Perhaps they ate off doing something and we'll come across them again?

#9 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

Ah, missed that. The caves seem the most logical choice then. You would think there'd have been Korelri there already though, and that Ipshank and co. would've come across more. Fits with the 'reassignment' mention though.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

All the Stormguard holy sites had Chosen guards - The Ring had them but they rushed into the city when the Army of Reform started looting. The Sky Tower had a lot. Would make sense that the sacred caves of Thol had its own Chosen guards, too.

And I don't think it is supposed to be strange to see them away from the Wall. Some were sent after Greymane, and others were spotted by Rillish during the attack on Aamil.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:40 AM

There's also the Chosen that go around collecting their 'tribute' for the Wall.

#12 User is offline   High Mage of Ruse 

• Recruit

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

Hmm. So it makes sense that the chosen in the caves were its regular guards. Leaving the question of where did those 100 Yeull requested go? Strange that a big deal was made about it at the time by Quint but then we never heard about them again. Another mystery!

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:43 PM

I don't get the feeling that these guys were that important. The big deal has to do with the unprecedented request and the fact that the wall is already undermanned. The actual 100 soldiers, it could be surmised, fought alongside Yeull's army and their ultimate fate may not be known, but it isn't a capital-M Mystery.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   CussersForChristmas 

• Overpass Obliterator
  • Send me a message if you want to chat

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

IIRC that chest was originally in the Abbey and got snatched up and taken to those caves because there was an incoming invasion.
No one steals from me. Not even a fish!

#15 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

View PostCussersForChristmas, on 01 May 2011 - 05:19 AM, said:

IIRC that chest was originally in the Abbey and got snatched up and taken to those caves because there was an incoming invasion.

I was gonna say just that - if the chest wasn't in the caves in the first place, why would there be a Stormguard garrison there? My money's on the cave as the destination of the 100. It is strange that we didn't get any sort of indication of where they went, or whether the ones in cave were them. Did any of the Stormguard in the cave say any other Stormguard's names?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

View PostBlend, on 10 May 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

I was gonna say just that - if the chest wasn't in the caves in the first place, why would there be a Stormguard garrison there? My money's on the cave as the destination of the 100. It is strange that we didn't get any sort of indication of where they went, or whether the ones in cave were them. Did any of the Stormguard in the cave say any other Stormguard's names?

The Caves were a very holy place, too though, and not in a city to benefit from a full monastary of priests and their eunuch guards. If the Ring had a regular garrison of Stormguard guards, why not the Caves?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#17 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:56 PM

View PostD, on 16 May 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

The Caves were a very holy place, too though, and not in a city to benefit from a full monastary of priests and their eunuch guards. If the Ring had a regular garrison of Stormguard guards, why not the Caves?

Seems a bit thin though I havnt got a better solution. 100 Stormguard is such an amount that Quinty is horrified and they likely wouldnt have that many guarding a cave, especially when the Wall was so low and the Champion was flimsy. The Ring contained a direct piece whereas the caves were (as far as we know) a recent repository because the wall wasnt safe that season.

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

View Posttiam, on 16 May 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

View PostD, on 16 May 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

Seems a bit thin though I havnt got a better solution. 100 Stormguard is such an amount that Quinty is horrified and they likely wouldnt have that many guarding a cave, especially when the Wall was so low and the Champion was flimsy. The Ring contained a direct piece whereas the caves were (as far as we know) a recent repository because the wall wasnt safe that season.

I'm saying the Caves had its own guards and therefore the 100 Stormguard didn't go there (and remained with Yeull as was their intended purpose or something similar). The Caves may not have regularly held one of the 3 pieces, but they were still among the holiest of places and a pilgrimage site.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users