• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished 'Dust of Dreams' ..literally a minute ago Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Finally finished Dust of Dreams. Well, "finally" makes it sound as if it was a struggle, or took a long time to read, while in fact it's the book I read the fastest (probably because that hardcover the Crippled God on my shelf looks so damn awesome). Anyway, a few questions/notes. RAFOs if RAFOs must be.

1) Throughout the last half, there is often mention of a fox being seen, or its tracks, or a fox hole. What am I to take from this - Silverfox?

2) At the confusing battle between short tails and long tails with Gesler and Stormy, what was about to come through the warren/gate in the sky?

3) Did Sinn and Grub do that "stoning" of Ampelas Uprooted, or was it an Azath thingy?

4) Ruthan Gudd is a Stormrider, as in those things appearing in the ocean in Night of Knives?

5) Forgive me if I am seem utterly stupid, but... the seven gods of the teblor are simply seven T'lan Imass?

thnx

Right. Bedtime and a few pages of The Crippled God!

This post has been edited by Shadow of Shadowthrone: 05 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

1. I don't think you're supposed to take anything from it.

2. More skykeeps. LOTS more skykeeps. Had they come through, the Che'Malle would have lost for sure.

3. Azath.

4. Stormriders are what appear in Night of Knives.

5. The T'lan Imass Unbound manipulated the Teblor and posed as their gods. They aren't really gods.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

Allright thanks. I still think there is some significance to that fox, though Posted Image

I have another question: The children walking through the desert of glass. Did they reach the City of the Tiste Liosan just as the Shake taking the Road of Gallan reached the City of the Tiste Andii (Kharkanas)? These two storylines are confusing because they are so similar! I guess if I have complaint about Dust of Dreams is that all these places the characters are (most of the time) are so dry and barren and endless...little variety. But then, it fits the book's overuse of dust.
Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:43 AM

The Snake didn't reach the city of the Tiste Liosan, they encountered a city made of crystal in the Glass Desert called Icarias, which was made by Icarium. In it Saddic sees images of Jaghut and KCCM living side by side.

As for Ruthan Gudd, pretty sure he isn't a Stormrider. At one point he goes 'this Stormrider crap better work', which is a bit of a giveaway that he isn't one himself. He's definitely had dealings with them in the past though.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

He is a horserider though, that I can confirm.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   King-of-Chains 

• King of High House Tragedy
  • I write, I read, I see...chamois

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Since we're asking questions something about the Shake popped up in regards to the Edur. When Twilight and Yedan are on The First Shore they start talking about their heritage. I followed most of the conversation until the part where Yedan says that the Edur were descendants of the Shake, and not the mixing of Liosan and Andiian blood. Did I miss something?
Here is a series that will for ever inspire me. Not only as a writer, but as a person. Mr. Erikson has shown us both sides to the human condition. He has shown even the lost, the destitute, the forgotten and unwitnessed can triumph.

#7 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

My reasoning was that the Shake were Andii guarding the border between KG and KT and that they mixed with the Liosan and begat the Edur.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#8 User is offline   King-of-Chains 

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 11 March 2011 - 08:25 PM, said:

My reasoning was that the Shake were Andii guarding the border between KG and KT and that they mixed with the Liosan and begat the Edur.

That seems reasonable, except if they were Andii then why did the others turn against them? Liosan is self explanitory, but what about the other Andii? Also, I felt there was an implication that the Shake weren't pure Andiian to begin with.
Here is a series that will for ever inspire me. Not only as a writer, but as a person. Mr. Erikson has shown us both sides to the human condition. He has shown even the lost, the destitute, the forgotten and unwitnessed can triumph.

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

I didn't get that feeling. They are of royal Andiian blood apparently, and who would they interbreed with before the coming of Light anyway? Explanations for why anyone turned against anyone back then either will be told in the future or just will never be told, I suppose.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

This also confused me.

I suppose it makes sense that Shake were shore-guard, thus mingled with the Lioshan and beget Edur - the rest of the dark/shadow/light stuff up to now about Edur could still work. But what about Yeden (or Yan) mentioning WHAT royal blood? The royal blood of servants? Why are they so esteemed if they're left like minions to guard a shoreline compared the rest of the Andii? And what is ROYAL? Anomander/Ruin/Andarist royal? Does that mean one of them left his cousins (or something) to become the Shake, guarding the shore in some big noble brouhaha like Andarist on Drift Avalii in our time?

Also, call me dumb, but aren't Yan and Yedan, like, humans mixed with Andii blood? If they were originally Andii's makin' love with Lioshan to make Edur - wouldn't the Shake BE Edur? Or have Edur even more strongly in their blood than Andii as it was later down the generations? Wouldn't the bloodline have gone down that road? When did it intersplice with humans? It should theoretically exist in many, many bloodlines shouldn't it after all this time?

Guh. TCG, save me! It arrives Sunday night and I have 250 pages left in DOD. PERFECT!
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#11 User is offline   King-of-Chains 

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 14 March 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

This also confused me.

I suppose it makes sense that Shake were shore-guard, thus mingled with the Lioshan and beget Edur - the rest of the dark/shadow/light stuff up to now about Edur could still work. But what about Yeden (or Yan) mentioning WHAT royal blood? The royal blood of servants? Why are they so esteemed if they're left like minions to guard a shoreline compared the rest of the Andii? And what is ROYAL? Anomander/Ruin/Andarist royal? Does that mean one of them left his cousins (or something) to become the Shake, guarding the shore in some big noble brouhaha like Andarist on Drift Avalii in our time?

Also, call me dumb, but aren't Yan and Yedan, like, humans mixed with Andii blood? If they were originally Andii's makin' love with Lioshan to make Edur - wouldn't the Shake BE Edur? Or have Edur even more strongly in their blood than Andii as it was later down the generations? Wouldn't the bloodline have gone down that road? When did it intersplice with humans? It should theoretically exist in many, many bloodlines shouldn't it after all this time?

Guh. TCG, save me! It arrives Sunday night and I have 250 pages left in DOD. PERFECT!

Yedan implies that the Shake are very closely related to the Edur. In so far as implying they once lived in the Elder Shadow warren together and that the Edur are their decendants. I speculate that there was some kind of schism between the Edur and one followed Bloodeye, the other followed whoever led the Shake at that time. Now obviously the Shake had to have Andiian blood in them at some point. Perhaps the Shake are the first decendants of Liosan and Andiian interbreeding. I'm sure in one of the other previous books there's an implication that the Edur were not the direct result of this.

#12 User is offline   LostaraSpite 

• Recruit

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

King-of-Chains said:

1300172167[/url]' post='841908']

Tatterdemalion said:

1300130561[/url]' post='841651']
This also confused me.

Yedan implies that the Shake are very closely related to the Edur. In so far as implying they once lived in the Elder Shadow warren together and that the Edur are their decendants. I speculate that there was some kind of schism between the Edur and one followed Bloodeye, the other followed whoever led the Shake at that time. Now obviously the Shake had to have Andiian blood in them at some point. Perhaps the Shake are the first decendants of Liosan and Andiian interbreeding. I'm sure in one of the other previous books there's an implication that the Edur were not the direct result of this.

#13 User is offline   LostaraSpite 

• Recruit

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

Ok 2nd reading of 1-8, starting 9-I DO NOT GET THE SNAKE! Someone help please?

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:18 AM

More specific question and I'll try?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#15 User is offline   LostaraSpite 

• Recruit

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

The introduction & struggle of these children...who left the influence of the Forkrul Assail & their horrible struggle so reflective of a child's walk vs the struggles of the Bone Hunt journey,BBurners etc but through the eyes of the new characters. I see reflections but am lost re: Rutt who is not Rutt, Held ( who couldn't possibly live thru the journey).... Just the intro of such a new cast of characters w/o real conclusion. Does anyone see further than that? Seems a 'stretch'at book 9....

#16 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

That question is answered later on. The Snake serves several purposes.

Yes, they are new characters. You've zeroed in on their plight though, so you are on it.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#17 User is offline   LostaraSpite 

• Recruit

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanks...I'll keep eyes open wider this read!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users